THOMAS E. MILLSOP Records

 Collection
Identifier: GLMS-0040

Collection Overview

Scope and Contents

This 1.5 cubic foot collection documents daily activities in the engine room of the THOMAS E. MILLSOP (U.S. 224662) and general vessel inspections during its service with National Steel Corporation. Engine room logs in 8 volumes cover, in scattered form, the years 1957-1975. The chief engineer assigned to the MILLSOP on each trip during the shipping season was responsible for the entries in this log. Engine performance and ballast water monitoring are two primary items examined daily through these logs.

Year-end reports document in 6 volumes the condition of the vessel after its winter layup inspections from 1967-1973. Needed repairs to the hull and interior structural supports are identified.

Inventory sheets for equipment from 1965-1966 are present to provide a view of the complete list of electrical, kitchen, and other types of devices used for operations on the vessel. The condition of the equipment is noted and repair recommendations are made.

Certificates issued from 1953-1975 by the U.S. Coast Guard note the successful completion of the inspection process for the MILLSOP.

Dates

  • 1953-1975

Extent

1.5 Cubic Feet (1 records storage carton, 1 legal manuscript box)

Creator

Vessel History

The THOMAS E. MILLSOP (U.S. 224662) was built as the WILLIAM C. ATWATER, at River Rouge, Michigan by Great Lakes Engineering Works in 1924-1925. Hull 249 was launched on April 14, 1925. The original dimension for this steel hulled vessel were 589'2" X 60' X 27'7".

The Wilson Transit Company of Cleveland, Ohio was the first owner of the ATWATER and had this vessel sail under the original name into 1936 when the company changed the name to E.J. KULAS. This name was used until 1953 when BEN MOREELL was made the new name.

In 1955 the Nation Steel Corporation of Cleveland bought the MOREEL, and changed the name to THOMAS E. MILLSOP, the subject of this collection. The vessel remained the MILLSOP until March 1976 when the Reoch Transports and Robert Pierson Holdings firm from Ontario bought the vessel and changed the name to E.J. NEWBERRY. Pierson Steamships owned the NEWBERRY from 1977 to 1982. P & HS Shipping of Mississauga, Ontario bought the NEWBERRY in 1982 and changed the name to CEDARGLEN. In 1986 Goderich Elevators Ltd. of Goderich, Ontario bought the CEDARGLEN and used it as a storage barge.

The name THOMAS E. MILLSOP was derived from Thomas Elliot Millsop, chairman of the board of National Steel Corporation. Millsop was born December 4, 1898 in Sharon, Pennsylvania. Millsop started his business career as a riveter for the Standard Tank Car Co., in 1919. He switched companies to work for Weirton Steel in 1927. Millsop worked steadily upward and became president of Weirton Steel in 1936. In 1954 Millsop became president of Weirton's parent company, National Steel Corporation.

The THOMAS E. MILLSOP had the distinction during its career to have been the first Great Lakes freighter built with one-piece hatch covers. As the E.J. KULAS this vessel rammed the Livingston Channel Lighthouse in fog on September 11, 1952. In 1981 the E.J. NEWBERRY grounded in Lac St. Francois near Valleyfield, Ontario on August 12. In 1994, the now named CEDARGLEN was scrapped at Port Maitland, Ontario, Canada.

Conditions Governing Access

No known access restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply; researchers are responsible for securing permissions necessary for publication or reproduction.

Language of Materials

Materials in English.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This 1.5 cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes (then the Institute for Great Lakes Research) on February 22, 1979 by the Connelly Brothers Company of Buffalo, NY.

Title
Guide to the THOMAS E. MILLSOP Records
Author
Mark Sprang
Date
August 2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English