MS 186 - Woman’s Club of Bowling Green
|Title||MS 186 - Woman’s Club of Bowling Green|
The collection of the Woman’s Club of Bowling Green spans from 1921 – 2013. Contained in the collection are the club’s annual program booklets which list club members, officers, standing committees, departments, by-laws, and program topics for their monthly meetings. Several scrapbooks from the club’s Garden Group and activities are also included in the collection; these contain newspaper clippings, photographs and correspondence.
The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on August 14, 1981 by the Woman’s Club of Bowling Green through club member Dorothy Slagle, with additions in June and July 2007 by Joan Gordon. In 2014, a large donation of materials from the estate of Mrs. Gordon included several items that were relevant to the collection. These items comprise the majority of the 2014 addition.
There are no restrictions on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for research purposes. The finding aid was completed by Kat Milbrodt in November 2006, with revisions in July 2007 and August 2009 by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts. Additional materials were acquired in 2013 and the finding aid was updated by Annie Rose Land, Library Associate I. The addition of the Joan Gordon materials and a revision of the collection were completed by Graduate Archival Assistant Rebecca Denes in October 2014. Additional materials were donated by Lynette Rosebrook in 2016, and the finding aid was updated by Nick Pavlik, Curator of Manuscripts and Digital Projects.
The Woman’s Club of Bowling Green was organized in May 1920 with the intent to bring together the women of Bowling Green and the surrounding areas for personal and community improvement. Along with monthly meetings, club members organized and sponsored cultural and intellectual events including concerts, book discussions, local theatre, lectures, study groups, and ran a dining room at the clubhouse. Within the first several years of federation, the Woman’s Club had helped establish a public play ground, municipal swimming pool and a recreation park in the city of Bowling Green. The women of the club also organized several specialized groups within the larger organization. One of the more active committees was the Garden Group who documented their activities in scrap books. The Woman’s Club of Bowling Green is still a viable organization and has remained active in the community and within in its parent organizations: The General Federation of Women’s Clubs, the Ohio Federation of Women’s Clubs and the Lakeside Federation of Women’s Clubs.
|Scope and Content|
The collection of the Woman’s Club of Bowling Green contains material from 1921 – 2014. The collection consists of a variety of material including annual program booklets, newsletters, meeting minutes, correspondence, awards certificates, scrapbooks, other printed material, and photographs. The collection boasts a large array of Woman’s Club board and stockholder’s meeting minutes. The board minutes discuss various club activities and programs; while the stockholders meeting minutes discuss the club’s stock and issues related to it.
The program booklets contain a variety of information. Each book contains a list of club officers and members, a list of club committees, the club constitution, and a calendar of dates and presentation topics for club meetings. Program books from 1927-1939 also include an itemized treasure’s report. The collection of booklets is nearly complete from 1921-2014, though some years are not represented. The program booklets of the Woman’s Club Garden Group from the 1950s through the 2000s are also included in the collection. As with the general club program books, the set is nearly complete but may be missing some years.
The collection also contains information about membership, programming, reports to GFCW/OFCW, general correspondence, legal documents pertaining to the Clubhouse, and photographs of members and various club activities.
A complementary collection of the materials of the Northwest District (including the Lakeside Federation) of the OFWC can be found in MS-1204.
For those interested in the history of the Ohio Federation of Women’s Club or the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, there are several volumes held within the main book collection of the CAC.
GARDEN GROUP SCRAPBOOKS.
ANNUAL PROGRAM BOOKLETS
GARDEN AND LITERATURE GROUP ANNUAL BOOKLETS