MS 176 mf - Port Clinton Literary & Social Club
|MS 176 mf - Port Clinton Literary & Social Club
The records of the Port Clinton Literary and Social Club (1881-1980) were loaned to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, for microfilming in June 1981. The collection was transferred by Ann Bowers, Curator of Manuscripts, Center for Archival Collections, with the cooperation of Mary Jane Zeis, Port Clinton, Ohio.
The records of this organization consist of minutes, programs, membership rolls, correspondence, literary productions, and news clippings. Literary and property rights of the microfilm edition have been dedicated to the public. The collection was processed and the register drafted by Ann Bowers in June 1981.
The Ladies Social Club was formed in Port Clinton, Ohio, in 1881 for the "mutual improvement" of its members and to "aid the poor of the village." In reaction to their husband's secret lodge meetings, these women created a secret initiation ritual and designated the officers with such names as the "Superb Expounder," the "Assistant Expounder," and the "Guard." From the beginning, these women enjoyed a few hours of social interaction each month with an anti-gossip rule being strictly enforced. Later these ritualistic trappings were dropped and study topics were introduced along with a name change--the Port Clinton Literary and Social Club. Study topics included the history and literature of various countries, U.S. History, the Bible, and American biography and humor, as well as the reading of various literary works.
Civic projects also were undertaken by this Club including the establishment of a public drinking fountain (1895), a public restroom (1910), and the public library (1908). The Club also was instrumental in organizing a sister literary group in Oak Harbor (1882) and the Lakeside Federation of Women's Clubs (1894). Today this organization could well be the oldest literary society still in existence in the State of Ohio. Histories of the Club written by members are included in the collection and provide much detail on its early years.
|Scope and Content
The records of the Port Clinton Literary and Social Club (1881-1980) provide a complete history of the establishment and operation of this organization. The minutes (1881-1973) include information on programs held, officers elected, rules enforced, civic projects undertaken, and new members initiated. Histories of the Club written by members between 1893 and 1939 provide interesting and delightful insights into the rationale behind organizing the Club and its yearly activities.
The correspondence (1889-1980) illustrates the strong ties of the Club with its sister organization in Oak Harbor and with former members who have moved away from Port Clinton. The annual programs, as well as papers, a poem, and a speech written by members for programs, provide information on the types of programs held and topics studied throughout the Club's long history. A few scattered news clippings (1891-1980) complete the collection and again provide information on programs and projects.
SCRAPBOOKS, SCRAPBOOK MATERIALS
|Order of Microfilming