MS 54 - Community League (Sylvania, Ohio)
|Title||MS 54 - Community League (Sylvania, Ohio)|
The Community League of Sylvania, Ohio, collection was transferred to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, in March 1978 through the cooperation of Alcy Downing, Sylvania Township Secretary, and Gordon Deye, Sylvania Township Clerk. The collection (1957-1961) consists of the minutes, correspondence, committee files, and financial data of this organization.
These records are considered public and the property of Sylvania Township. The register was compiled by Donna Christian, Graduate Assistant, History Department, in 1979, and completed in May 1981.
The Community League of Sylvania was organized by residents of Sylvania Township, Lucas County, Ohio, in January 1957. Its purposes, as stated in its constitution, were "to work toward the betterment of the community,...endorse the maintenance and development of adequate facilities for the...community, help maintain good relations between the citizens of the community and (its) governmental units...(and) betwen the community's governmental units and other governmental units...(and) to assemble facts, evaluate and disseminate information..." The League was to remain non-partisan, non-sectarian, and non-profit.
The League admitted residents of Sylvania Township of voting age to membership. It was governed by a Board of Trustees. Each precinct was represented on the Board by one resident, elected by the membership.
The Board established four committees and four study committees in 1957. The four committees were: Incorporation; Bylaws; Public Relations; and Projects. The four study committees, based on answers to a questionnaire of the general membership, were: Telephone; School; Sewers and Water; and Taxes. By 1958, two additional committees on Government and Utilities were organized. The League apparently became inactive in 1961.
|Scope and Content|
The Community League of Sylvania, Ohio, collection (1957-1961) consists of the minutes of the Board of Trustees, the annual membership meetings (1957-1960), and minutes and reports of various committees appointed, such as the School Planning Committee (April 1957 - November 1959), the Government Committee (May 1958 - April 1959), the Utilities Committee (October 1957 - January 1959), and the Tax Committee (April 1960). The Community League's constitution, by-laws, and articles of incorporation are included in this collection, which with the minutes and reports provide the rationale and administrative history of this organization.
Correspondence which pertains to business among members and committees and outside agencies, such as the Sylvania and Lucas County Boards of Education and the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, is available from 1957 to 1960. Treasurer's reports (1957-1961) and a receipts and expenditures ledger (1957-1961) provide financial background on the organization.
The collection also contains documents by outside bodies which relate to specific concerns of the League. Thus, the papers of the School Planning Committee include statistics and reports from the Sylvania Exempted Village Schools Board of Education. The League was concerned also about the service from the General Telephone Company of Ohio. Consequently, testimony and reports of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio on General Telephone's request for a rate increase are included.
CONSTITUTION/BY-LAWS/ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION
PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION OF OHIO--CASE #28,168
SCHOOL PLANNING COMMITTEE REPORTS
TAX COMMITTEE REPORT
RECEIPTS AND EXPENDITURES LEDGER