MS 476 - Hoverman Studio Negative Collection
|Title||MS 476 - Hoverman Studio Negative Collection|
The photograph collection of the Hoverman Studio of Delphos, Ohio, consisting of more than 3 linear feet of glass plate and film negatives, with some contact prints, spans the period from around 1910 to 1938. The negatives depict scenes and events from the town of Delphos, Ohio during the first half of the twentieth century, including family portraits, farms scenes, school pictures, local businesses, buildings, and interiors.
The negatives were transferred to the Center for Archival Collections during 1987 from the Allen County Historical Society, Lima, Ohio, through the cooperation of Jay Martin, Assistant Curator. This register was prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, Center for Archival Collections, May 1989. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection.
Hoverman Studio operated as a commercial photographers at 130 East 3rd Street, in Delphos, Ohio, beginning in the early 1900s. First known as Hoverman & Son, with John H. Hoverman and his son Roy, the studio was active in documenting the events and activities of the community. By the mid 1950s the studio was run by John R. Hoverman. The majority of the negatives in the collection were probably the work of John H. Hoverman.
|Scope and Content|
The Hoverman Studio Negative Collection consists of 425 8 x 10 inch and 5 x 7 inch glass plate and film negatives, with twenty contact prints. As the work of a commercial photographer, the collection includes numerous studio family portraits, weddings, funeral displays, and school class pictures (primarily from St. John's Catholic High School and Delphos High School).
Some of the more interesting items in the collection are the pictures taken outside the studio, including some fine architectural photographs of Delphos, Ohio buildings and businesses in the early 1920s, views of miscellaneous automobile dealerships, including Mueller Implement & Auto Company, scenes of Delphos Manufacturing Company, France Stone Company, the J. M. Cordell Lily White Ice Cream Stand, and interiors of an unidentified commercial dairy. One of the most noteworthy interior groupings is a series of ten interior shots of a home owned by John Reynolds, possibly located in the Convoy, Ohio area, around 1918.
A small collection of Hoverman Studio 4 x 6 cm. copy negatives of the 1913 flood in Delphos and 4 x 5 inch original negatives of the 1951 Delphos Centennial Celebration and Parade are cataloged as MS 338, in the Delphos, Ohio Negative Collection.
NEGATIVES (8 x 10 inch glass plate format, numbers 1-253)
NEGATIVES (8 x 10 inch film format, numbers 254-383)
NEGATIVES (5 x 7 inch film format, numbers 384-425)
PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINTS (8 x 10 inch black and white, numbers 426-446)
Box 1Photograph Number
1. Delmont Dancing Club, January 19, 1911
Box 2Photograph Number
26. Loading coal into a T. St. L. & W. rail car (7682)
Box 3Photograph Number
51. William Pickering Family picture
Box 4Photograph Number
76. W. E. Bowland Family picture (1505)
Box 5Photograph numbers
101. Ramont-Scheer wedding picture (11872)
Box 6Photograph numbers
126. Funeral display (4086)
Box 7Photograph numbers
151. Vats at dairy (8734)
Box 8Photograph numbers
176. Wedding picture (Mrs. Ribe)(294)
Box 9Photograph numbers
201. Floral funeral display (804)
Box 10Photograph numbers
226. Group of men (8953)
Box 11Photograph numbers
271. St. John's football team group shot