MS 655 - Port Clinton Lantern Slides
|Title||MS 655 - Port Clinton Lantern Slides|
The collection of lantern slides of Port Clinton dates from around 1886 to the 1930s. The collection consists of seventy-six slides, with copy negatives and prints to six of them, plus two rolls of 16mm motion picture film.
The records were transferred to the Center for Archival Collections in the 1980s with the cooperation of the principal of the Port Clinton High School. Their origin is unknown. There are no restrictions on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The collection was processed and the register prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in November 1992.
|Scope and Content|
This collection of lantern slides contains numerous views of the city of Port Clinton, with additional slides of historic figures, monuments, artifacts, documents, and costumes. The grouping also includes some building diagrams of the Port Clinton Junior High School. While the material is of unknown origin, it was probably assembled as a teaching aid at the Port Clinton High School.
Of particular note in the scenes of Port Clinton are views of the harbor area with small boats and a grain elevator, a picture of the Port Clinton Fire Department, with hose reels in front of the Station, workers in the yard of a Port Clinton sawmill, a railroad work crew with a Lakeshore & Michigan Southern freight car in the background, a dock scene with a ship under construction, and a scene on Madison & 2nd Streets with wagons gathered for a peach auction.
The quality of the slides varies, with some emulsion flaking. Those slides with good images can produce fairly clear prints. Copy negatives and prints were made for the first six slides of the collection.
MOTION PICTURE FILM