MS 149 - Women's Auxiliary #2 - Carpenters (Toledo, Ohio)
|MS 149 - Women's Auxiliary #2 - Carpenters (Toledo, Ohio)
The records of the Women's Auxiliary #2 of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America date from 1902 to 1977. The history of the contribution of the wives, mothers, sisters, and daughters of members of the carpenters' union is reflected in this collection which consists of one and one-half linear feet of minutes, dues, registers, scrapbooks, membership lists, constitutions, and the original charter of the auxiliary.
The records of the Women's Auxiliary #2 were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in August 1980 through the cooperation of David Gray of the Ohio Labor History Project and Paul Yon, Associate Director of the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University. An addition to the collection was made in November 1997 by Mr. Ron Rothenbuhler, Business Representative of Carpenters 1138 in cooperation with Kristin Dusseau, graduate assistant in the archives in 1997. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The register was prepared by Jill Morse, a graduate assistant, in October 1980, and updated by Kristin Dusseau.
The purpose of the Women's Auxiliary #2 of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America was, according to the constitution, "to help, aid, and assist in the carpenter industry, to elevate the social, moral, and intellectual conditions of men in the trade..." To be eligible for membership, one must be a wife, mother, sister, or daughter of a member in good standing in the carpenters union.
Auxiliary #2 was chartered in 1915, though it had been in operation since 1902. The members took great pride in marching in the Labor Day Parade of 1913 and in subsequent parades. Over the years, the Auxiliary members have given assistance to striking workers, helped with Red Cross work, taken care of needy families, planned social events for the carpenters and been involved in a variety of philanthropic projects. During the 1960s, the women were encouraged to attend the regular union meetings of the carpenters; thus making the union and its affairs even more of a family affair.
Although the Women's Auxiliary #2 has disbanded, the spirit of their dedication and work lives on. Currently, information on their records can be found with Carpenters Local 1138 (MS 147).
|Scope and Content
The minutes of the Women's Auxiliary #2 stretch from 1913 until 1977. The collection contains only one folder of correspondence as some records were lost during the 1930s. The collection also includes a scrapbook, dues registers, membership applications, and pamphlets. Though there is a complete run of minutes, the information contained is of an abbreviate nature; thus the lack of correspondence will be a drawback to the researcher.
Although the Women's Auxiliary received some communication from the Toledo Central Labor Union regarding major issues within the carpenters' union, the Auxiliary's main concerns were those of a social and philanthropic nature. The collection, however, may have some value for the labor historian or the women's studies researcher as this particular women's auxiliary was the first of its kind in the nation. In addition, the records of Carpenters' Local 1138 (MS 147), with which Auxiliary #2 was connected, are available at the Center for Archival Collections .
Box 4 (Oversized)