MS 144 - Roofers, Local 134 (Toledo, Ohio)
|Title||MS 144 - Roofers, Local 134 (Toledo, Ohio)|
The records of Local 134 of the Roofers date from 1937 to 1980. Some of the history of this Toledo-based local union is reflected in a small collection of one-half of a linear foot of minutes and agreements.
The records of Roofers Local 134 were donated to the Center for Archival Collections on June 13, 1980, through the cooperation of David Gray, field representative for the Ohio Labor History Project and Gerald Clower, representative for Local 134. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purpose of preservation and scholarly research. The register was prepared in July 1988, by Susan Hughes, a manuscript processor employed through a grant provided by the Ohio Historical Society.
Roofers, Local 134 of the United Slate, Tile and Composition Roofers' Association was first chartered in 1937 in order to, as the Constitution states, "unite and mutually obligate all practical composition roofers. . .throughout Toledo, Ohio and vicinity, for the purpose of securing concert of action in all matters affecting the interests of our own and allied crafts."
No agency history was available from the Local, though the researcher may wish to contact the Union, whose headquarters are at 4652 Lewis Avenue, Toledo, Ohio, 43612, for additional information.
|Scope and Content|
The research value of this collection is somewhat limited due to its small size and the incomplete nature of its contents. The minutes are relatively complete from 1958-1972, however, they are of a sketchy nature and there is no correspondence to expand upon items briefly mentioned in the minutes. Early agreements between the local union and Toledo contractors are also missing, however, the collection may be of some value to the labor historian or to a labor lawyer.
EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES.
SPECIAL MEETING MINUTES.
CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS.