MS 41 - International Typographical Union, Local 260 (Findlay, Ohio)
|Title||MS 41 - International Typographical Union, Local 260 (Findlay, Ohio)|
The records of the International Typographical Union Local 260 date from 1890 to 1981. The collection consists of four linear feet of constitution and bylaws, minutes, correspondence, contracts, agreements, audit reports, pamphlets, programs, brochures, circulars, flyers, and clippings.
The major portion of the collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on June 15, 1978, through the cooperation of H. Thomas Rodabaugh, former Local 260 president. The remaining records were acquisitioned March 11, 1982. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. This register was prepared by Cynthia Nigh, graduate assistant with the History Department in March 1982.
International Typographical Union 260 represented the composing room personnel employed by The Courier newspaper in Findlay, Ohio. Receiving its charter in June of 1890 with twelve charter members, Local 260 continued to represent the workers for over ninety years. Usually three-year or one-year contracts with "openers" were negotiated with Findlay Publishing Company. The last contract was negotiated in 1973.
Other International Typographical Union chapels in Findlay include Findlay Printing and Supply Company and Kennedy Printing Company. Local 260 aided in the formation of an ITU chapel in Fostoria at the Review Times.
Following a conversion from the hot metal procedure to a cold metal procedure, increasing automation and a subsequent reduction in work force, Local 260 suffered the same fate as the chapels associated with the Toledo Blade and other newspapers. The composing room jobs were purchased by the Findlay Publishing Company and Local 260's charter was revoked. H. Thomas Rodabaugh, former president of Local 260, donated the collection to the Center for Archival Collections. The union offices were located at 607 Jacobs Avenue, Findlay, Ohio.
|Scope and Content|
The records of the International Typographical Union Local 260 of Findlay, Ohio, document the activities of a twentieth century labor union. Consisting primarily of correspondence, contracts and agreements, and printed material, the collection spans the years from 1890 to 1981. However, the bulk of the material dates from 1954 to the mid-1970s.
Although Local 260 was chartered in June of 1890, minutes are not available until 1925, from which time they are complete until 1975. It is believed that the early section of minutes was misplaced due to frequent changing of officers resulting in a shuffling of records. The minutes provide a general overview of the meetings and are not detailed. Often, following the dismissal of a regular meeting, a chapel meeting was held to continue a particular discussion. Chapel minutes, available form March 7, 1964 to October 1, 1966, are more specific.
One of the major strengths of this collection is the contract and wage agreements between Local 260 and the Findlay Publishing Company complete from 1954 to 1980. This information, illustrating the development and progress of union-company relations, provides much detail into the collective bargaining process. Former Local 260 president, H. Thomas Rodabaugh, notes that the union always acted fairly and amiably. This is apparent as no strikes occurred during the ninety-one year working relationship with the Findlay Publishing Company. In addition, the contracts and agreements document the steady increase in wages and benefits.
The audit reports from 1973 to 1978 illustrate the expenses incurred by the union to maintain a successful operation. Also available in these reports are the number of journeymen and apprentices for each given time period. With the exception of a dues ledger dating from 1890 to 1891, no other early financial records exist.
CHAPEL MEETING MINUTES
CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
SUBJECT FILES/CASE FILES
CONTRACTS 1958-1965; 1972-1980; n.d.