MS 33 - International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers, Local 3
|Title||MS 33 - International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers, Local 3|
The records of the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers, Local 3, were transferred to the Center for Archival Collections on August 30, 1976, by Stephen P. Gietschier, Co-Director of the Ohio Labor History Project, with the cooperation of Local 3's Corresponding Secretary, James H. Cappelletty. The collection consists of one-third linear foot of correspondence and financial records extending form 1929 to 1948. An addition was made on April 13, 1998 through the cooperation of Kristin Dusseau, graduate assistant, and Mr. Paul Urbaniak, the current business manager for Local 3, bringing the collection up through 1994.
Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. Joanne Passet, a graduate assistant employed by the Ohio Labor History Project, processed the collection.
According to the History of Organized Labor in Toledo, Ohio (1897),the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers, Local 3, organized in Toledo on January 16, 1869, as the Bricklayers and Stone Masons' International Union, No. 3 of Ohio, and was the second oldest labor organization in the city. Material documenting the historical events of this union currently are not available.
Local 3's office is presently at 4652 Lewis Avenue, Toledo, Ohio, 43624. Mr. Paul Urbaniak serves as business manager.
|Scope and Content|
The records of International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers, Local 3, consist primarily of correspondence and financial material. Although no minutes are available, the Local's incoming and outgoing correspondence from 1937 to 1947, and from 1977 to 1994,reveals many day-to-day union matters regarding membership,dues, benefits, constitutional changes,and business with the International and other locals.
Financial records include monthly reports for the years 1933, 1939-1948, and a financial ledger covering the years 1929-1931. Certificates of apprenticeship,dated 1947, are included as well. Certified Amendments and correspondence dating up to 1994 complete this collection.