GLMS 48 - Alice Haas Schultz Marblehead Collection
|Title||GLMS 48 - Alice Haas Schultz Marblehead Collection|
This one-half cubic foot collection was transferred to the Bowling Green State University Center for Archival Collections on October 20, 1982. The Instrument of Gift was signed on the same date. On January 28, 1992, the collection was transferred to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes.
Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for the purposes of scholarly research and conservation.
The US Coast Guard was founded within the Department of the Treasury on January 28, 1915. The former Revenue Cutter and Lifesaving Services were merged to create the Coast Guard. The station at Marblehead, Ottawa County, Ohio was established as a lifesaving service facility in 1876. Captain L. M. Clemons and Surfman W. W. Griesser manned the station with the assistance of volunteers.
On April 10, 1884 six new paid surfmen joined the Marblehead staff. Captain Clemons resigned on March 31, 1897 and D. L. Griesser became the new captain. Griesser remained in command until he resigned on April 30, 1916.
Ernest Haas, father of the collection donor Alice Haas Schultz, temporarily commanded the station until June 15, 1916 when Captain George E. Jackson arrived to assume his new duties. Captain Jackson was temporarily reassigned to New York from June 30 to August 21, 1919. Haas was, again, temporarily in command. Haas was promoted to Captain and commanded the Marblehead Station after Jackson was assigned to Oswego, New York on November 4, 1920. Haas remained in command of the station until his retirement in 1927. A twenty-two year association with the Marblehead station was then concluded. Captain Haas was born in 1869 and lived until 1962.
|Scope and Content|
The focus of this collection of photographs and printed items is the US Coast Guard station at Marblehead, Ottawa County, Ohio on Lake Erie. Few items are dated, but they fall into the period from about1905-1930. The one-half cubic feet of this collection is composed of 163 black and white photographs and three printed items.
Within the photographic items are views of Coast Guard station buildings, nearby private dock areas, and the Marblehead lighthouse. Lifesaving equipment and drills for using these items are also recorded in the photographs. Members of the staff assigned to the Marblehead station appear in many of the photographs and are mentioned in folder 34, item 3 of the printed materials.
Folder 34: Printed items