GLMS 3 - Dunbar and Sullivan Dredging Company
|Title||GLMS 3 - Dunbar and Sullivan Dredging Company|
|Subject||Business & Commerce|
The photographic portion of this 12.25 cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes on January 25, 1973. The construction estimate files were donated in November 1982. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Duplication is permitted for purposes of conservation and scholarly research.
The Dunbar and Sullivan Dredging Company of Cleveland, Ohio was founded in 1844. Originally headquartered in Buffalo, New York, this company also called Detroit, Michigan home before relocating to Cleveland. Subsidiary operations have been located in Duluth, Minnesota as well.
During its years of operation, Dunbar and Sullivan has provided services for submarine rock excavation, hydraulic and dipper dredging, land reclamation by hydraulic fill, ship channel dredging, river and harbor improvements, dock construction, pile driving, and pipeline/cable laying. Dunbar and Sullivan has been actively involved in the development of the marine navigation support infrastructure in the Great Lakes and Mississippi valley regions since the mid-nineteenth century. Municipal development projects for sewage treatment plants and bridges have also been completed.
Files present note partnerships formed with the Whitney Bros. Co. (1889-1932); Merritt, Chapman and Whitney (1932-1936); and Merritt, Chapman and Scott. The acquisition of Merritt, Chapman and Scott (founded in 1860) expanded Dunbar and Sullivan's engineering market in the 1960s.
|Scope and Content|
This collection contains files regarding construction projects at port facilities on the Great Lakes and along the Mississippi River undertaken by the Dunbar and Sullivan Dredging Co. of Cleveland, Ohio. Most of the construction estimate files are from projects completed before the merger of Dunbar and Sullivan with Merritt, Chapman and Scott by the latter company's predecessors, Whitney Bros. Co. and Merritt, Chapman and Whitney. Within the 13 cubic feet of files are series on construction estimates, photographs, and correspondence. The files span the years 1891-1964.
Of particular significance are the approximately 1,005 photographs of construction sites for docks, dams, and bulkheads. These items date from 1902-1982 and record the construction and maintenance of the technical support facilities for waterborne commerce in the United States for much of the twentieth century.
Published materials have been separated for cataloging in the HCGL's library materials collection.
Box 1: Whitney Bros. Construction Co. Estimates
Box 2: Whitney Bros. Construction Co. Estimates
Box 3: Whitney Bros. Construction Co. Estimates
Box 4: Whitney Bros. Construction Co. Estimates Blueprints
Box 5: Whitney Bros. Construction Co. Estimates Blueprints
Box 6: Whitney Bros. Construction Co. Contract Photographs
Box 7: Whitney Bros. Construction Co. Contract Photographs
Box 8: Whitney Bros. Construction Co. Contract Photographs
Box 9: Merritt, Chapman & Whitney Co. Project Photographs
Box 10: American Construction Co.: Merritt, Chapman & Whitney Co.; Merritt, Chapman & Scott Co. Project Photographs
Box 11: Merritt, Chapman & Scott Contract Photographs, 1936-1938
Box 12: Merritt, Chapman & Scott Contract Photographs, 1936-1941, 1945
Box 13: Merritt, Chapman & Scott Contract Photographs, 1938-1941, 1945.
Box 13A Negatives
155 negatives for Presque Isle breakwall project at Erie, PA, 1944.
Box 14: Merritt, Chapman & Scott Contract Photographs
Box 15: Miscellaneous Photographs
Box 16: Correspondence for Whitney Bros. Co. and for Merritt, Chapman & Whitney Corp., c.1904-1961
Box 17: Patent Files Clippings