MS 1104 - Wentz Family Papers
The papers of the Wentz family of Bowling Green, Ohio consist of approximately 1 linear foot of family photos with a few related personal printed items.
The material was transferred to the Center for Archival Collections through the cooperation of Millie Broka in October 2008. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The register was prepared in December 2008 by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts.
The family of George Edward and Effie Burk Wentz of Bowling Green, Ohio, married 14 March 1906, included older daughter Helen Leota Wentz born 15 June 1907 and younger daughter Marjorie M. Wentz, born 29 March 1913. Edward was born 25 February 1883 in Deshler, Ohio, the son of Louis and Belle Ketzenberger Wentz. For a number of years he operated a farm in Weston, Ohio, moving to Bowling Green in 1924 where he worked at the Court St. Garage. At that time the family lived in a home at 133 N. Prospect, by the Wood County Courthouse, and that location is reflected in a number of the photos. Edward died on December 12, 1954 and Effie died on January 15, 1964.
Leota worked for many years as a cook at the Bowling Green Women’s Club, located on Prospect right across from the family home, and later as a baker and cake decorator at Peterson’s Bakery in Bowling Green, Ohio. She died on 23 Sept. 1993. Her sister Marjorie was on the staff of the Bowling Green Public Library for forty-two years before retiring in 1976. Marjorie died on January 6, 2009.
Scope and Content
The Wentz Family Papers consists primarily of photographs, both in albums and loose, as well as a couple of printed items including Marjorie’s diploma from Bowling Green High School and the marriage certificate of George and Effie Wentz.
Although very few of the people in the photos other than Leota Wentz are clearly identified, many of the locations are known, including scenes around the Wood County Courthouse, Court Street, and the Women’s Club Building. Some activities include a parade on Court Street that features a boys’ band, some views of picnics and groups from the United Brethren Church, and a few shots of various places the family went, including the Chicago “Century of Progress” World’s Fair in 1933 and a couple of shots of Ohio tourist destinations, Mac-o-Chee Castle and Ohio Caverns.
Marriage license and ornate marriage certificate (of George Edward and Effie Burk Wentz), diploma of Marjorie Wentz from Bowling Green High School. In oversize box.
Formal albums for cabinet cards, carte-de-visits, and tintypes, and informal scrapbook type albums with snapshots. Only a few photos are identified or captioned
Loose snapshots of family members, homes, and places, mostly without formal identification, but many located in Bowling Green around the Courthouse and Wentz home on Prospect near Court St. Some photos in oversize box.
- Ornate velvet album - (cabinet & carte-de-visite Wentz/DeVore families), ca. 1890-1916
- Photograph album - Bowling Green including Court Street scenes, 1925-1926
- Photograph album - Bowling Green including Court Street scenes, 1928
- Photographs - Portraits of Leota Wentz, circa 1925-1927
- Photographs - Portraits of unidentified people, circa 1925-1927
- Photographs - Portraits of unidentified people, circa 1900-1942?
- Photographs - Portraits of unidentified people, circa 1930-1940
- Photographs (loose) - Family photos with partial identification, circa 1908-1933
- Photographs (loose) – Old Wentz family home (near Weston?), circa 1920
- Photographs (loose) – Women’s Club, Bowling Green, Ohio, circa 1927
- Photographs (loose) – Wood County Courthouse and Court Street, circa 1927
- Photographs (loose) – Vehicles, circa 1924-1930
- Photographs (loose) – Chicago (during Century of Progress), 1933
- Photographs (loose) – Airfield and Goodyear Blimp, 1933?
- Photographs (loose) – West Liberty, Ohio (Mac-o-chee/Ohio Caverns), circa 1930
- Photographs (loose) – Unidentified places, n.d.
- Photographs (loose) – Unidentified people, n.d.
- Marriage license, Edward Wentz and Effie Burk, 1906
- Ornate marriage certificate, Edward Wentz and Effie Burk, 1906
- Bowling Green High School diploma, Marjorie M. Wentz, 1930
- Oversize photo, large mixed group (Church?), n.d.
- Oversize photo, family group on porch of home, n.d.
- Oversize photo, group of unidentified men, n.d.