MS 248 - Sandusky Business College
|Title||MS 248 - Sandusky Business College|
The Sandusky Business College, from Sandusky, Ohio is a collection comprised of student records, financial records and published material regarding the school, dating from 1907-1949. A financial ledger from a Dry Goods and Grocery Store, in Flat Rock, Ohio 1851-1868, is also included in this collection. It was later used as a scrapbook for newspaper clippings. The collection was acquired by two donations; the first by the Sandusky Public Library on June 22, 1982, and the second by, Martha Loudenslagel Carver on February 4, 2003.
No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for the purposes of research and preservation. The collection was processed by Cynthia Clark, archives intern, in February 2003.
The Sandusky Business College, was founded by Professor E. A. Hall in September, 1865. Originally known as the Buckeye & Great Western Business College, the college has had a number of owners over its history, and has been known by as many different names. Despite the name changes the school's main goal was to provide training in a business area for young adults in the surrounding counties. The Business College was accredited by the National Association of Accredited Commercial School, and provided courses in: penmanship, arithmetic, bookkeeping, English grammar and punctuation, business correspondence, calculations, shorthand, typing, salesmanship, spelling and trading.
Despite the quality of education, and staying open through World War II, the school's last owner and principal W.O. Loudenslagel was forced to close the building in 1949 because of a decline in enrollment.
|Scope and Content|
The Sandusky Business College collection is comprised of student records, financial records, and printed material from the school. The entire collection is not complete, with any material pertaining to the school unavailable before 1907, and gaps in the student and financial records. The student records are comprised of student academic and financial records, grade records and attendance records. The student academic and financial records include information on the students such as: name, address, and phone number, courses, credits, grades, and financial records. These records range in dates from c.1920 till 1945. The grade books contain the grade information for students that attended the school, with the date of the student attending varying. The attendance records include the attendance information for students in the bookkeeping and shorthand departments, along with the attendance of students in some unknown courses. There is also a file containing loose paper work that includes, order sheets, applications, notes, and spelling lists.
The financial records, from 1917 until 1949, contain information of the receipts and expenditures of the school, along with financial information about students. The records are not complete and are missing records from February 1926 through till August 1930. There are also loose papers to be found in a file at the end of the section. The printed material is from two catalogs about the school for interested and incoming students, and also from a. educational journal that was publishes by the college.
The oversized financial ledger is from a Dry Goods and Grocery Store located in Flat Rock Ohio. The dates range from 1851 until 1868, when it is believed that the store was then bought by Samuel Hormer in 1868. It is then believed that someone in the Hormer family married into the Loudenslagel family, where the book was then made into a scrapbook containing numerous newspaper articles, some even pertaining to the family. The book is connected to the Sandusky Business College, by way of the last principal of the school, who was also a Loudenslagel.
STUDENT ACADEMIC AND FINANCIAL RECORDS