MS 519 - Ladies Aid Society of the Congregational Church (West Millgrove, Ohio)
|MS 519 - Ladies Aid Society of the Congregational Church (West Millgrove, Ohio)
The records of Ladies Aid Society of the West Millgrove Congregational Church, consist of approximately .3 linear ft., primarily record books and ledgers, dating from 1888 through 1954.
The collection was transferred to the Center for Archival Collections during April 1988 from the Wood County Historical Museum (donated to them in 1981 by the estate of Mrs. J.E. Wirt). This register was prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, Center for Archival Collections, February, 1991. No restrictions exist on the the use of this collection.
The Ladies Aid Society of the Congregational Church of West Millgrove began April 27, 1888, for the purpose of raising money for the Church. Due to declining membership, the Society disbanded February 18, 1954, the remaining treasury of $14.07 being turned over to the Church general fund. (The records of the Church are available on microfilm as MS 413).
|Scope and Content
This collection contains information about the Ladies Aid Society from 1888 to 1954. The collection consists mainly of record books and ledgers, with fairly detailed financial data. The minutes of the meetings are sparse.
The Society raised money by quilting, tying comforters, domestic sewing, various benefit dinners, and selling greeting cards and shirts. The money raised helped pay the pastor's salary, put new flooring in the Church, the fund for War Victims and Reconstruction (following World War II), and general Church needs. The various record books reflect the day-to-day costs of materials, the time involved in fabrication, and the individuals working on each quilting project.
QUILT RECORD BOOK