MS 942 mf - Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio)
|Title||MS 942 mf - Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio)|
The records of Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, 1866 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in March 2002, with the cooperation of Reverend Richard E. Notter of Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, profession of faith, marriages*, interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin and French.
This register and this collection was prepared by Rachel Diegel in March 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The parish of St. Peter, as it was originally known, was established in 1866. It was established to served the increasing number of German Catholics in Toledo. Even though there was already a German speaking parish, St. Mary Catholic Church, the population was increasing so much that Bishop Rappe found that there was a great need for a second German speaking parish.
The parish completed their first combination church and school building in December of 1866. The congregation quickly outgrew the first church. The parish began building their new church in 1873. It was completed in December of 1875. After the new church was dedicated, the old church was remodeled and the entire building became the school. This school was enlarged and remodeled at the turn of the 19th Century.
On February 7, 1926 a fire destroyed the interior of the church. The damage was estimated at $95, 000. The church had a drive and raised the money needed to repair the damage. The interior was completed in early November of 1926.
Several times throughout the history of Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church there were sharp declines in their membership. The Great Depression hit the parish hard and many families were forced to move away in search of jobs. In 1961, the urban renewal in Toledo's South End forced many families to move and relocate to other parishes. The two big projects that affected the membership of Sts. Peter and Paul were the South End Bridge and the Toledo Main Post Office.
In 1963, the Mexican Mission of Our Lady of Guadalupe merged with Sts. Peter and Paul parish.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central Section Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 66 - 70.
|Order of Microfilming|
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)