UA 072 - Phi Beta Kappa Records, 1961-2003
“UA 072 - Phi Beta Kappa Records, 1961-2003.” Finding Aids. BGSU University Libraries, 6 Mar. 2018, lib.bgsu.edu/finding_aids/items/show/2758. Accessed 15 June 2019.
|Title||UA 072 - Phi Beta Kappa Records, 1961-2003|
|Introduction||Records of the Xi of Ohio Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa on the Bowling Green State University campus.|
Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. As described in the Visiting Researcher Application Form, researchers using this collection assume full responsibility for conforming to the laws of libel, privacy, and copyright.
|Agency History||It took four tries for Bowling Green State University to be awarded a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. The efforts, begun in the early 1960s, were finally successful during an attempt begun in 1980 and culminating in the August 1982 announcement that BGSU would be granted a chapter charter for Phi Beta Kappa, the oldest and most prestigious national scholastic honor society. The chapter inducted its first student members in April 1983.|
|Scope and Content||This collection primarily documents the efforts to start a Phi Beta Kappa chapter at BGSU. There is extensive correspondence, reports, and other materials related to these attempts, representing the work of Dr. Stuart Givens of the History Department [head of the Phi Beta Kappa committee] and others. Also included are lists of faculty members who had been elected to Phi Beta Kappa.|
Collection size: 1 legal sized and 1 half-legal sized manuscript boxes (0.75 cubic feet)
1. Annual Meeting Agendas/Minutes, 1983-2003 (gaps)
2. Executive Committee Meeting Agendas/Minutes,1988
3. Membership Lists,1963-1995
4. Membership Criteria, 1970-2003
5. Committee Rosters, 1983-1991
6. BGSU Faculty with Society Membership, 1980
7. Constitution and By-Laws, 1973, 1982, n.d.
8. Correspondence – Pre-Establishment, 1961-1979
9. Correspondence – Pre-Establishment, 1980-1983
10. Correspondence – Post-Establishment, 1983-1988
11. Chapter Memoranda, 1983-1991
12. Steering Committee, 1982
13. Committee on Members in Course, 1983-1991, n.d.
14. Materials from Initial Exploratory Meeting, 1963
15. National Triennial Meeting Materials, 1985-1991, n.d.
16. National Committee on Qualifications Visit, 1983
17. Installation of BGSU Chapter, 1983
18. Visiting Scholar Program, 1983-1985
19. Initiation Materials, n.d.
20. Preliminary Applications for BGSU Chapter, 1966-1979
21. General Report (Submitted to National), 1980
22. Revisions to 1980 General Report, 1980-1982
1. Annual Report, 2004
2. Activities and Acknowledgements, Dr. Jack Hayden, 1989
3. Initiation Address by Dr. Donald G. Nieman, 2000
4. Initiation Address by Dr. Dale W. Smith, 2003
5. National and Chapter History, n.d.
6. Newsclippings, 1982-1983
7. Initiation Ceremony Programs, 1984-1992
8. Photographs - Initiation Ceremony, 1988