UA 002G - Office of the President (Hollis A. Moore Jr.) Records, 1941-1985
|Title||UA 002G - Office of the President (Hollis A. Moore Jr.) Records, 1941-1985|
|Introduction||The appointment of Hollis A. Moore to the office of President of Bowling Green State University came about after a seven month search begun prior to President William Jerome leaving BGSU. His appointment as president was announced on May 13, 1970 and came at a critical time in BGSU's history: the shootings at Kent State had occurred just nine days earlier. Dr. Moore, whose term began in July 1970, rose to the occasion and brought a sense of stability to BGSU during chaotic times. He was well liked by both faculty and students. It was his overwhelming sense of fairness that earned that respect.|
Under Dr. Moore's leadership, BGSU made many advances academically, which were also reflected in the university's administrative structure. In 1973, Moore oversaw the creation of the College of Health and Community Services, the first new college at BGSU in 38 years. In 1975, the School of Music became the College of Musical Arts and the School of Speech and Communication was formed. The School of Technology and the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation were formed in 1978 and 1979, respectively. During Moore's administration, doctoral programs in mathematics and history were also established. In 1978 Dr. Moore received Austria’s Gold Medallion, one of the highest academic honors in Austria, marking the 10th anniversary of exchange between BGSU and the University of Salzburg.
The 1970s brought other changes to BGSU. Enrollment increased to 15,000 during Moore's term. With changes in the national economy and in state funding for higher education, Moore worked to increase private funding for the university. This funding reached its peak in 1980 at $2 million. Moore also oversaw the construction of three new buildings on campus: the Mileti Alumni Center (completed in 1976), the Student Recreation Center and the Musical Arts Center (both completed in 1979). The total cost of these construction projects was nearly $16 million. The Musical Arts Center was dedicated as the Moore Musical Arts Center on May 8, 1981 in honor of Dr. Moore and his wife.
Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. As described in the Visiting Researcher Application Form, researchers using this collection assume full responsibility for conforming to the laws of libel, privacy, and copyright.Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections including overlaps between this collection and the collections of President Jerome and President Olscamp.
|Biographical Sketch||Hollis A. Moore was born on April 3, 1923 in Pierce City, Missouri. He earned his Bachelor of Arts in history and political science in 1946 at Baylor University. He went on to receive his Ph.D. in education administration from the University of Texas. He also held honorary degrees from Hanyang University in Korea and from Central Michigan University. |
Moore served with the 11th Armored Division in the Third Army of the European Theater during World War II. He began his career as a social studies teacher in Austin, Texas and in 1952 became Associate Editor of The Nations Schools. In 1955, Moore was named executive secretary for the Committee for the Advancement of School Administration, and in 1960 he moved to Tucson, Ariz, where he became Dean of the College of Education at the University of Arizona.
Moore also served as a visiting lecturer at Northwestern University, the University of Virginia, the University of Denver, Stanford University, University of Nebraska and at Northern Arizona University. He was a member of the White House Conference on Education, the Arizona Advisory Committee on Certification, Consultant on Research and Demonstration for the U.S. Office of Education, the Education Advisory Committee for the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, and a member of the Board of Directors of Central Midwestern Regional Educational Laboratory Inc.
Immediately prior to his appointment as BGSU president Moore was serving as vice president of academic affairs at George Peabody College, Nashville, Tennesee.
Moore and his wife Marian had two sons. In the months before his death, Moore was frequently ill. Nonetheless, his death in April 1981 was unexpected.
|Scope and Content|
The collection consists of correspondence, documents, reports, budgets, photos, brochures and other documentation dating from 1941-1985 on almost all university topics. The collection drifts from Moore’s Presidential papers to records collected by his office on many things occurring at and involving the university during his tenure. The materials are arranged in several alphabetic runs and sometimes subjects are filed under two different headings (for example:Athletics-Olympics (Wottle) and Wottle, David Olympic Runner (News Clippings)” Therefore it is recommended that the entire inventory be reviewed for relevant folder(s).
Collection size: 241 legal-sized manuscript boxes (120.5 cubic feet) [The first 4 boxes are marked 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A and then the numbering starts at box 1 and continues to box 237].