MS 1144 - Shriners International Zenobia Temple
|Title||MS 1144 - Shriners International Zenobia Temple|
The Shriners International: Zenobia Temple (Toledo, Ohio) collection consists of mostly of printed material, photographs, and scrapbook material related to the organization. The material in this collection dates from 1899 to 1971 and documents some of the events of this society in the Toledo, Ohio area. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on March 12, 2010 by Briant Hamor Lee, Ph. D.
No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by undergraduate student assistant Emily Schoenlein in May 2013, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts.
The Shriners International, known until 2010 as the Ancient Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, was established in 1870 as a fraternity based on fun and fellowship as well Masonic principles of brotherly love, relief, and truth. There are approximately 340,000 members from 195 temples, or chapters, around the world. The organization is most widely known for the Shriners Hospitals for Children, a network of twenty-two hospitals in North America. The Shriners in Northwest Ohio and the Toledo area are a branch of Shriners International called the Zenobia Shriners.
|Scope and Content||The Shriners International, Zenobia Temple (Toledo, Ohio) collection consists of primarily of printed material such as postcards to remind members of meetings, meeting notices, and programs, all of which date from the early 1900s to the mid-1930s. This collection also includes some photographs and newspaper items, as well as a membership ledger detailing member accounts from 1899 to 1911 and a CD of music from the musical units of the Zenobia Shriners. Two oversized items include a member composite photograph and a wrapped scrapbook of the organizations events and activities from 1930 to 1933.|
SCRAPBOOKS AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIAL
MEETING NOTICES AND PROGRAMS
Oversized photograph - Member Composite, December 27, 1906
Wrapped: Zenobia Scrapbook, 1930-1933