MS 883 mf - Walnut Street United Methodist Church (Chillicothe, Ohio)
|Title||MS 883 mf - Walnut Street United Methodist Church (Chillicothe, Ohio)|
|Introduction||The Walnut Street United Methodist Church Collection (1830-1930) was transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections in August 2001.|
No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in November 2001.
The Walnut Street United Methodist Church was founded in 1800. The parish began building their first meeting house in 1804 and it was completed in 1807. In 1819, this church building was destroyed by fire. In that same year the parish's second church was completed.
Between 1821 and 1840 the Walnut Street United Methodist Church was divided into three separate churches. The first separation came in 1821, when the African-American members formed their own church. The second split came in 1840, when the German-speaking members formed their own church. This created three separate Methodist churches in Chillicothe.
Despite the reduction of members attending Walnut Street a third church was build in 1840. As the congregation grew, a larger church was required. In 1904, the parish's current church was built. This church received major renovations in 1947 to remodel the wiring and basement.
Bowdle, John E., Editor. Walnut Street United Methodist Church: Two Hundred Years of Continuity, 1800-2000. Chillicothe, Ohio. 2001
|Order of Microfilming|