MS 628 - The Lathrop Company
|Title||MS 628 - The Lathrop Company|
|Subject||Business & Commerce|
The records of The Lathrop Company of Toledo, Ohio date from 1965-1999. The collection includes correspondence, subject files, annual reports, literary productions, scrapbook information, printed materials, and photographs.
The information was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in February 1992 with the cooperation of Michael Robarge, with additional materials transferred in 2003 and 2007 through the cooperation of Sue Miller. There are no restrictions on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The collection was reprocessed by graduate student Steve Badenhop, with final revision and completion of the register by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, in December 2007.
The Lathrop Company of Toledo, Ohio, founded in 1895 and incorporated in 1928, is a construction management firm that contracts for, generally, private clients. Originally the company built residential homes, but in the 1930s began constructing large scale commercial and industrial projects, which it almost exclusively does in the present day. Lathrop has experience working on various kinds of projects, including industrial, commercial, hospital, and institutional buildings. Additionally, Lathrop has worked on projects concerning highway and bridge construction for state and government agencies.
The Lathrop Company has concentrated most of its work in the states of Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, New York, and Pennsylvania. It has worked on projects large and small throughout this region and, although it is willing to work outside of this area, it has built a strong reputation on its extensive work in these states.
|Scope and Content|
The Lathrop Company collection contains records dating from 1935-2002. The focus of the information provided is on the extensive number of construction projects in which Lathrop has participated throughout its history. A number of project files exist from 1935 to 1937 when the company focused mainly in residential remodeling and construction, with the most in-depth information covering the time period from the early 1970s through the mid-1980s. Unfortunately, the lack of board minutes and company printed materials weakens the collection considerably and hinders the amount that can be discerned about Lathrop's history and development.
The news articles included in the collection offer the most extensive information regarding Lathrop activity from 1965-1990 with regard to Lathrop projects and potential contracts. Moreover, some, although limited, administrative changes and company recognition is detailed in the papers. Again, articles published from approximately 1970 through the mid-1980s dominate the collection.
The photographic material adds depth to the collection in that it provides visual evidence of the many projects in which Lathrop has participated. One project with extensive coverage was the remodeling/expansion of Midway Mall in Elyria, Ohio in 1990. Additionally, the photographic material provides visual identification of personnel and construction equipment important to Lathrop projects. The photographs, more broad in time scope than any other aspect of the collection, provide some documentation of Lathrop projects in the 1940s to date.
This collection is an open-ended collection and new materials are being integrated into the collection periodically commencing with Box 8.
Box 6: Photographic MaterialsFolder
Box 7: Photographic MaterialsFolder
Box 9: Subject Files 1935-1937
Box 10: Subject Files
Box 11: Subject FilesFolder
Box 12: Subject FilesFolder
Box 13: Subject FilesFolder
Box 14: Subject FilesFolder
Box 16: Slides
Box 17: Slides
Box 18: Slides
Box 19: Slides and Photographic MaterialFolder
Box 20: Slides and Photographic MaterialFolder
Box 21: Photographic MaterialFolder
Box 22: Photographic MaterialFolder
Box 23: OversizeFolder