MS 1185 - Knights of Pythias
“MS 1185 - Knights of Pythias.” Finding Aids. BGSU University Libraries, 20 Mar. 2014, lib.bgsu.edu/finding_aids/items/show/1493. Accessed 29 Nov. 2023.
|Title||MS 1185 - Knights of Pythias|
|Introduction||The Knights of Pythias Collection consists of mostly member information and material related to membership history of the organization. The material in this collection dates from 1888 to 1981 and documents primarily the members of the organization in Northwest Ohio over the years. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on May 22, 2013 by Matthew Arnold.|
No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by undergraduate student assistant Emily Schoenlein in June 2013, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts.
|Agency History||The Knights of Pythias was founded in 1864 and was the first fraternal organization to receive a charter under an act of the U.S. Congress. The Pythian motto is “Friendship, Charity, Benevolence.” There are over 2,000 Pythian lodges, sometimes referred to as “castles,” around the world with over 50,000 total members. Notable members have included Louis Armstrong, Warren G. Harding, William McKinley, and Franklin D. Roosevelt.|
There were originally three lodges of the Knights in Northwest Ohio: McClure, Weston, and Bowling Green. In time the Weston lodge folded into the McClure lodge, and then in 1983 the McClure lodge consolidated with the Bowling Green lodge to form Grand Lodge 158, also known as Kenneth Lodge.
|Scope and Content||The Knights of Pythias Collection consists primarily of leather-bound books containing meeting minutes, membership applications and rosters, and dues paid by members, most of which is from the early half of the 1900s. This collection also contains some correspondences, including one regarding the 1983 consolidation of lodges; reports and receipts; general organization printed material such as an organization history; and an unidentified group photograph.|
Includes books of minutes recording meeting proceedings from the McClure and Weston lodges.
Includes rosters of members, membership ledgers with dues paid, membership applications, and records of disbursement to various members from the McClure and Bowling Green lodges.
Includes letters regarding the Knights of Pythias House and the consolidation of the McClure and Bowling Green lodges.
Includes the certificate of membership for the creation of the McClure lodge and a thank-you certificate indicating the Bowling Green lodge’s participation in the Buckeye Boys State parade.
Includes the yearly reports made by the McClure lodge.
Includes a report from the 1966 audit of the McClure lodge.
Includes receipts for members of the Bowling Green lodge.
SCRAPBOOKS AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIAL
March 21, 1907
Includes a copy of a newspaper articles from the McClure Trio about the McClure lodge.
GENERAL LODGE MATERIAL
Includes general Knights printed material such as copies of the Odes, blank meeting reminder cards, an organization history, and the 1961 Knights merchandise catalog.
Includes an unidentified group photograph from an unknown year.
1. Book of minutes - McClure, 1967-1981
2. Book of minutes - Weston, 1938-1950
3. Roster of membership - McClure, 1889-1956
1. Membership ledger & dues paid - Bowling Green, 1889-1963
2. Membership ledger & dues paid - McClure, 1924-1950
3. Membership ledger & dues paid - McClure, 1927-1957
1. Membership application book - McClure, 1888-1898
2. Membership application book - McClure, 1919-1941
3. Record of disbursements - McClure, 1921-1958
4. Record of disbursements - McClure, 1960-1983
5. Knighthood application - P.L. Binkley (BG), 1917
6. Membership dues and contact information - McClure, 1976-1979, n.d.
7. Correspondence - McClure, 1980, 1983
8. Certificate of lodge membership - McClure, 1956
9. Buckeye Boys State parade certificate - BG, 1983
10. Lodge yearly reports - McClure, 1957, 1973-1979
11. Audit report - McClure, 1966
12. Receipts - Bowling Green, 1955-1959
13. McClure Trio article, March 21, 1907
14. General Pythias printed material, 1961, n.d.
15. Unidentified photograph, n.d.
Oversized: Membership ledger & dues paid - McClure 1899-1905