MS 977 - Junto Club (Bowling Green, Ohio)
|Title||MS 977 - Junto Club (Bowling Green, Ohio)|
|Introduction||The Junto Club from Bowling Green, Ohio is a complete collection made up of proceedings, membership, constitutions, correspondence, papers, and photographs dating from its founding in January 1933 until May 2000. The proceedings and other material were donated to the Center for Archival Collections on October 10, 2002 the Junto Club, with an addition received from Ron Stoner in October 2011.|
No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for the purposes of research and preservation. The collection was processed by Cynthia Clark, archives intern, in January 2003, with the addition revised by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in November 2011.
|Agency History||The Junto Club was established in 1932, with the first meeting held on December 13, 1932. The first recorded minutes of the club were taken on January 9, 1933, with the constitution ratified and officers elected by February of the same year. The Junto Club was patterned after the Town and Gown Club, also located in Bowling Green, and founded during the 1920s. The Junto Club is made up of 22 members, with 11 members from the university and 11 members from the town. According to the constitution the purpose of the organization, "is to provide a means by which the professional, business and the tradesperson may have an opportunity to meet at regular intervals to discuss the vital problems of the day and to enjoy a social hour with the object of uniting in the promotion of civic welfare, fostering sympathetic relations and producing a mutual understanding of each other's problems and points of view." During the meetings, members present papers on the subject of their choice, varying from topics in the news, personal interests and hobbies, and areas of research for University members.|
The Junto Club is still in existence today with meetings held from October until May, and an annual Ladies Night held every February.
|Scope and Content||The Junto Club collection is comprised of proceedings, constitutions, membership records, correspondence, papers, and photographs. The proceedings are complete from January 9, 1933, when the first minutes were taken, until 2011, which is the last of the records the Center for Archival Collections has received to date. Some of these later records with meeting minutes, presentation papers, and schedules show some evidence of water damage but most pages are legible. |
The correspondence dates from 1933 until 1964, with a few letters not dated. The correspondence is comprised of letters of resignation, letters between members, and letters with outside agencies. The papers are those presented at meetings and are not dated. Other papers presented can be found within the proceedings. The photos are of a number of members taken on the university campus at some time in 1980.
2011 Addition: Box 1
2011 Addition: Box 2