MS 344 - Sister Miriam Joseph Rauh
“MS 344 - Sister Miriam Joseph Rauh.” Finding Aids. BGSU University Libraries, 20 Mar. 2014, lib.bgsu.edu/finding_aids/items/show/1401. Accessed 8 June 2023.
|Title||MS 344 - Sister Miriam Joseph Rauh|
|Introduction||The Sister Miriam Joseph Rauh collection was originally developed and donated by Ettie Rieman of the Ottawa Historical Society in Ottawa, Ohio as part of a project on Women of Putnam County. With the help of Marguerite Calvin, a writer for the Putnam County Sentinel and Sister Assunta, a friend of Joseph’s, Rieman collected the archival materials that form this collection.|
No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by graduate student Courtney J. Wright in April 2013, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, in October 2013.
|Biographical Sketch||Sister Miriam Joseph was born Agnes Lenore Rauh in 1898 to Mamie Anne Priesendorfer and Henry Francis Rauh, in Glandorf, Ohio. Her father was an educator and publisher of the Ottawa, Ohio German language newspaper Der Demokrat. In 1893 Henry Francis Rauh married Mamie Anne Priesendorfer, of Defiance, Ohio and together the couple had a family including John Clarence, Carl H., Walter Ignatius, Agnes Lenore, Cornelius Anthony, Mary Bloise, James Emerson, and Esther Irene.|
Agnes Lenore entered the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross in 1919, taking the name Miriam Joseph. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in journalism at St. Mary’s College, her Master’s degree in English from the University of Notre Dame, and a Doctorate in English and Comparative Literature from Columbia University.
For thirty-eight years Joseph taught in the English Department at St. Mary’s College, contributing in the areas of rhetoric, pedagogy, and Shakespeare. Some of her publications include Rhetoric in Shakespeare’s Time, Everyday Logic, The Trivium, and Shakespeare’s Use of the Arts of Language. She also was a visiting scholar at Northwestern University in 1961 and a visiting Professor of English in 1962.
Starting with her dissertation, Shakespeare’s Use of the Arts of Language and through her continuing academic career, Sister Miriam Joseph was recognized as a major contributor to the study of Shakespeare and the related medieval arts of grammar, logic, and rhetoric.
|Scope and Content||The papers of Sister Miriam Joseph consist mainly of Joseph’s published literary materials (her three books, articles, and reviews), as well as copied documents regarding the background of her father. Besides an inscribed and autographed article reprint, the collection contains no previously unpublished materials. While the collection is fairly slim, it is being maintained to serve as a hub for collecting future archival material regarding Joseph’s contributions to rhetorical scholarship.|
|Series Description||LITERARY PRODUCTIONS|
Contains books, article reprints, and reviews by Joseph, as well as reviews of Joseph’s work, and publicity materials for her works
SCRAPBOOK AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIALS
Contains information regarding the biography of H.F. Rauh and the obituaries of Sister Miriam Joseph
St. Mary’s College 125th Anniversary, during which Sister Miriam Joseph was awarded an honorary Doctor of Letters degree