MS 1108 - Alice Manicur Papers
“MS 1108 - Alice Manicur Papers.” Finding Aids. BGSU University Libraries, 7 Apr. 2016, lib.bgsu.edu/finding_aids/items/show/1312. Accessed 24 Mar. 2019.
|Title||MS 1108 - Alice Manicur Papers|
Alice Manicur served as the first woman president of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. She was dean of students at Frostburg State University for many years. In 1996, the NASPA Symposium for Women Aspiring to be Chief Student Affairs Officers was named for her. Her papers include scrapbooks, speeches and presentations, and awards.
|Introduction||In 1976-1977, Alice R. Manicur was selected as the first woman president to serve the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA). She has also served in many NASPA capacities and chaired the San Francisco Conference in 1975. She was the first woman to hold a voting position on the NASPA Executive Committee. She was dean of students at Frostburg State College (Maryland) for many years and is the first – and only – person to hold that position. She has been active in other organizations and won SPATE’s award for meritorious service in 1972. In 1996, the NASPA Symposium for Women Aspiring to be Chief Student Affairs Officers was named for her.|
|Scope and Content||This small collection consists of 2 linear feet of Alice R. Manicur’s personal papers, scrapbooks, speeches and presentations, awards, and photos from 1968-1998.|
1. Scrapbook 1 -letters, newsclippings, photographs documenting professional activities and NASPA service, especially as NASPA president, 1972-1992
2. Scrapbook 2 – Scott Goodnight Award (letters, newsclipings, photographs, Nomination letters and greeting cards), 1992-1993
1. Notebook of speeches and presentations, articles documenting professional and NASPA activities and awards, 1968-1998
2. Notebook documenting the awarding of the Scott Goodnight Award (letters, news clippings and articles, photographs), 1992-1993
1. Framed handwritten statement on receiving the Fred Turner Award for Outstanding Service to NASPA, April 6, 1982
2. Glass piece from NASPA Foundation recognizing being named a Pillar of the Profession, March 28, 1999
3. Gavel presented as NASPA president , 1976-1977
4. Plaques recognizing receiving the Scott Goodnight Award for Outstanding Performance as a Dean, March 1993
5. Plaques recognizing receiving the Scott Goodnight Award for Outstanding Performance as a Dean, Region II and one from NASPA, June 1993
6. Plaque recognizing receiving the Robert Shaffer Distinguished Alumna Award from Indiana University, March 1994