MS 183 - Lyon, Clement & Greenleaf Company (Wauseon, Ohio)
|Title||MS 183 - Lyon, Clement & Greenleaf Company (Wauseon, Ohio)|
|Subject||Business & Commerce|
The records of the Lyon, Clement & Greenleaf Company of Wauseon, Ohio, date from 1858 through 1880 and from 1885 through 1886. The collection consists of six and one-quarter linear feet of correspondence and financial ledgers.
The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in the summer of 1981 by Mrs. Elizabeth C. Davies through the efforts of Ted J. Ligibel, Historic Preservation Officer. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The collection was arranged and described by Karen Snow and Kenneth Minkema and the register prepared by Kenneth Minkema in March 1982.
George S. Clement and Charles C. Greenleaf purchased the dry goods firm of Hunt & Company in April of 1864, after having emigrated to Wauseon from New Hampshire. The partnership thrived through the 1870s, during which time the two bought into the town's major grain mill, that of Lyon and Brigham. The new company was named Lyon, Clement & Greenleaf's Wauseon Roller Mills and Elevator.
Lyon, Clement & Greenleaf's establishment has paralleled the growth of the town of Wauseon, and has contributed to the agricultural productivity of Fulton County. The mill is still in operation today as a feed company for the area, now connected with the Purina Company.
For more information on the Clement family and their role in Wauseon, consult the inventory file in the National Register for Historic Preservation, pertaining to the Clement-Davies House.
|Scope and Content|
The great majority of the records of The Lyon, Clement & Greenleaf Company is comprised of incoming correspondence from related businesses which were located throughout the northwestern and midwestern United States. The correspondence takes the form of orders, receipts, sales records, market situations, product requests, freight lists, insurance claims, and general comments on goods shipped and received. In essence, the correspondence provides a fine profile of daily exchanges in this particular vein of business and on the supply and demand nature of the market.
The financial ledgers--cash books, inventory lists, transcribed sales and accounts--are really the only records we have of the company itself, since no outgoing correspondence was copied and/or retained. It is interesting to note how the financial records begin with the Hunt & Company records and continue thereafter with the genesis and changes in the Lyon, Clement & Greenleaf firm.
The financial ledgers simply have been arranged by year, depending upon the nature of the information included. The correspondence has been arranged according to year and alphabetically according to company name. Thus the researcher is provided with an efficient means of tracing a given company's particular dealings with the Lyon, Clement & Greenleaf firm over an extended time. The possibilities for studying local business history are by far the best, since most of the correspondence is from various local businesses. In addition, the correspondence can be cross-referenced in the financial ledgers.
Note: A literature class notebook belonging to Minerva Clement was included in the collection in its original state. Since this has no bearing on the business records, the notebook was removed and placed in the Center's miscellaneous manuscript collection.