MS 177 - Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad Company
|Title||MS 177 - Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad Company|
|Subject||Business & Commerce|
The Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad Company collection was obtained by the Center for Archival Collections in 1981 from representatives of the Standard Slag Company. The 1.25 linear feet collection primarily consists of correspondence between the company and various affiliates, as well as government and legal documents, ranging from 1909 – 1958. A small amount of materials that were donated along with the collection were forwarded to the John W. Barriger III National Railroad Library at the St. Louis Mercantile Library in St. Louis, Missouri. These particular materials related to the Association for American Railroads and the American Short Line Railroad Association. They contained a more national focus than the remaining materials included in the Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad Collection.
No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. A small number of letters in the collection exist only as photocopies due to the fragility of the originals, which have been discarded. The collection was processed and register prepared by graduate student Daniel Elkan and graduate student archival assistant Rebecca Denes in June 2013.
Founded in 1886, the Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad (L&M) served Ohio's Marblehead Peninsula until the late 1970s. This seven-mile long line primarily hauled limestone quarried in the area, although the L&M did carry some passengers until 1930. The road extended from Danbury, where it met up with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway (later part of the New York Central System), to a point near the end of the peninsula at Marblehead.
The L&M, which succeeded the Cleveland, Toledo and Lakeside Railway, was initially promoted locally by civil engineer Edgar H. Brennen, and was bought by a Massachusetts syndicate led by Hiram A. Blood in 1886. Construction was completed that year, and the line came into operation in January of 1887. The L&M came under the ownership of the Kelley Island Lime & Transport Company in 1891, and would be controlled by either this company or its successors for the remainder of its time in service.
The L&M, in addition to connecting with the New York Central, also cooperated with the Toledo, Port Clinton and Lakeside Railway (TPC&L), an electrified interurban line, beginning in 1905. This cooperation lasted until the TPC&L tracks on the peninsula were abandoned in 1940.
The L&M ended service as a common carrier in 1964. It then became a private industrial railroad, operated solely to support the operations of Standard Slag. It operated occasionally during this period, mainly for the benefit of customers for whom it was more convenient to receive shipments by rail. The last order carried by the L&M was transported in 1978, and the line and equipment were destroyed over the course of the 1990s.
|Scope and Content|
The Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad Collection consists of 1.25 linear feet of materials, dating from 1909 – 1958. The bulk of the collection is comprised of correspondence between L&M and various affiliates, including the railroad trade groups Association of American Railroads and the American Short Line Railroad Association. Further, there is a small amount of communication from other railroad companies such as the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway, and the New York Central Railroad. Additional correspondence features parent company Kelley Island Lime and Transport, as well as state and federal government agencies and departments. Of particular interest is the paperwork related to the World War II era War Manpower Commission, which includes light correspondence and work release applications.
A number of legal documents appear in the collection, the majority of which were generated by the Interstate Commerce Commission and the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. The included dockets and orders cover a variety of issues related to the operation of rail systems within the United States in general. A number of the cases involve L&M directly, though all had an impact on the operations of the company. Additionally, there are a small amount of materials related to the financials of L&M and the Kelley Island Lime and Transport Company, particularly those related to state and federal taxes.
Although the collection does not provide a great deal of information regarding specifics of the daily operations of the L&M Railroad, it does provide some information regarding the inner workings of the company and is also wonderful overview of the operations of regional rail systems throughout the United States. This collection is of great use to those researching 20th century railroad operations and legal matters.
MEMBERSHIP RECORDS – LAKESIDE AND MARBLEHEAD RAILROAD
CORRESPONDENCE – FROM LAKESIDE AND MARBLEHEAD RAILROAD
CORRESPONDENCE – TO LAKESIDE AND MARBLEHEAD RAILROAD
CORRESPONDENCE – TO AND FROM KELLEY ISLAND LIME AND TRANSPORT
OFFICE FILES – WESTERN UNION TELEGRAPH OPERATION
OFFICE FILES – LAKESIDE AND MARBLEHEAD/NEW YORK CENTRAL RAILROAD
OFFICE FILES – LAKESIDE AND MARBLEHEAD ROUNDHOUSE
OFFICE FILES – FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RELATED
LEGAL DOCUMENTS – INTERSTATE COMMERCE COMMISSION
LEGAL DOCUMENTS – PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION OF OHIO
FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS – LAKESIDE AND MARBLEHEAD RAILROAD
FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS – KELLEY ISLAND LIME AND TRANSPORT