MS 525 - Ohio College Personnel Association
The Ohio College Personnel Association donated their archives to the Center for Archival Collections on January 29, 1988, to be part of the National Student Affairs Archives. Additional donations of records occur annually and the collection now stands at ten cubic feet of material, dating from its establishment in 1975 to the present. The collection is comprised of board minutes and files, bylaws and policies, membership records, awards, committee files, conference programs and files, publications and photographs. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and copying is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by Ann Bowers, National Student Affairs Archivist, in June 2005.
At the Spring 1975 meeting of the Ohio Student Personnel Association (OSPA), Bob Rodgers and Gerald Saddlemire presented the idea of organizing a chartered state association of the American College Personnel Association (ACPA). By March 1976, the first general meeting of the Ohio College Personnel Association (OCPA) was held and by April it received its charter from ACPA. The OCPA newsletter began publication in November 1976 and the first annual spring conference was held in March 1977 at Kenyon College. In the fall of 1979, OCPA offered its first New Professional Conference. By the mid-1980s, membership stood well over 500, and the Campus Liaison Program had grown to sixty-two campus liaisons appointed to serve as local representatives to college and universities, assisting in areas of membership recruitment and program development. In 1983, OCPA won its first ACPA Outstanding State Division Award.
By 1990, membership stood at 870 and OCPA continued to be the largest state division within ACPA. Also in 1990, the first (and only) issue of Connections , a journal for student affairs new professionals and graduate students was published by OCPA. In the spring of 1992, the first seminar for clerical, secretarial and administrative support staff for college and university Student Affairs offices was sponsored by OCPA and was considered highly successful. The Support Staff Conference continues to be held on an annual basis. In 1998-1999, OCPA began another journal, Ohio College Student Development Journal, and published two issues.
Several awards have been established by OCPA including the Phillip A. Tripp Distinguished Service Award, Mark Noffsinger New Professional Award, President's Service Award, Gerald L. Saddlemire Mentor Award, Graduate Student of the Year Award, Innovative Program Award, Undergraduate Student of the Year Award, Cultural Diversity Award, Robert A. Dubick Case Study Award, and Fayetta Paulsen Accomplished Leader Award. OCPA celebrated its 25th anniversary at the Fall Conference in 2001. Starting in 2003, OCPA with the Ohio Association of Student Personnel Administrators (OASPA) has offered a joint conference in January. OCPA continues to be one of the strongest of the ACPA state divisions, receiving over the years the Outstanding State Division award as well as awards for membership recruitment and retention.
For more information about OCPA, please refer to the file on its history located in the collection as well as its website: www.ocpaonline.org
The Ohio College Personnel Association collection is organized into six record groups: Administrative files, Subject files, Committees, Conferences, Publications and Audio-visuals. These record groups are divided into record series which are described below.
Bylaws/Mission/Policies and Procedures
Includes bylaws and mission statements, policy and procedures manuals and statements, and executive board responsibilities.
Articles of Incorporation/Tax Exempt Statements
Includes official documentation of incorporation in the state of Ohio and tax exempt paperwork from the IRS.
Executive Board Minutes and Files
Includes minutes, reports, and memos documenting the activities and decisions of the Executive Board. The files include committee and task force reports, financial and membership reports, and conference planning reports.
Establishment and history of OCPA
Includes several written histories of OCPA and documentation regarding the initial organizing and establishment of OCPA. Also includes a transcript of interviews about OCPA's history.
Includes correspondence, reports, brochures, and directories documenting the growth of OCPA and the activities of the membership chairs.
Arranged by association and then chronologically
Includes memos and reports from other professional associations involved with student affairs and higher education, such as American College Personnel Association, Ohio Association of Student Personnel Administrators, and the Ohio Association for Counseling and Development.
Arranged by types of records and then chronologically
Includes OCPA award descriptions and recipient listings, and applications for Outstanding State Division and Membership Recruitment and Retention awards from ACPA.
Includes descriptions of OCPA committees.
OCPA Committee/Task Force Files
Arranged alphabetically by name of committee and then chronologically
Includes reports, committee lists, memos and other documentation about the activities of each committee or task force.
1994-1996, 1998, n.d.
Includes OCPA conference planning guidebooks.
Includes reports, correspondence, brochures, programs, planning and evaluation files for the OCPA spring and fall conferences and the support staff conferences.
Includes guidelines for OCPA publications.
Includes copies of the OCPA newsletter.
Includes correspondence and copies of the OCPA journal published 1989-1991, titled Connections and the Ohio College Student Development Journal published in 1998-1999.
Photographs and Slides
Arranged chronologically-one notebook located in Oversize Box 2
Includes photographs and some slides from conferences. Some of the photographs are unidentified.
1976, 1984, 2014
Includes certificate of incorporation, certificate of trade name registration, state division charter and proclamation from Ohio Governor establishing "Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week," and State/International Division Award.
Includes plaques announcing various awards presented to OCPA from ACPA.
- Bylaws/Vision/Mission/Charter, 1975-1998, 2004-2005
- Policies and Procedures/Manuals, c. 1980s, 1993-1998
- Election policies and procedures, 1979-1997 (scattered)
- Executive Board job responsibilities, c. 1980s-1990s, 2007
- Articles of Incorporation, 1979-1980, 1984-1985
- Tax Exemption, 1979
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1976-1977
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1977-1978
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1978-1979
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1979-1980
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1980-1981
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1981-1982
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1982-1983
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1983-1984
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1984-1985
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1985-1986
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1986-1987
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1987-1988
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1988-1989
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1989-1990
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1990-1991
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1991-1992
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1992-1993
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1993-1994
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1994-1995
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1995-1996
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1996-1997
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1997-1998
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1998-1999
- Executive Board files/minutes, 1999-2000
- Executive Board files/minutes, 2000-2001
- Executive Board files/minutes, 2001-2002
- Executive Board files/minutes, 2002-2003
- Executive Board files/minutes, 2004
- Executive Board files/minutes, 2005
- Executive Board files/minutes, 2006
- Executive Board files/minutes, 2007
- Executive Board files/minutes, 2008
- Histories of OCPA (includes transcript of interviews on history of OCPA), 1977-2002
- Establishment of OCPA, 1974-1977
- Membership, 1976-1980
- Membership, 1981-1985
- Membership, 1986-1990
- Membership, 1991-2000
- Membership, 2006, 2008
- American College Personnel Association, 1975-1980
- American College Personnel Association, 1981-1985
- American College Personnel Association, 1986-1989, 1995-1998
- American Personnel and Guidance Association, 1979-1980
- Ohio Personnel and Guidance Association, 1975-1976
- Ohio Association of Student Personnel Administrators, 1976-1985 (scattered)
- Ohio Association for Counseling and Development, 1987-1990
- Award Descriptions, 1984-2003 (scattered)
- Award Recipient listing, 1981-2001
- Awards presented, Fall 2001
- Application for State Division Award-Innovation, 1998
- Outstanding State Division Award nominations, 1983-1998
- Outstanding State Division Award nomination, 1999 (3 folders)
- Outstanding State Division Award nominations, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005-2006
- Membership Recruitment and Retention Award nominations, 1998
- OCPA Committees, 1987, n.d.
- Affirmative Action Committee, 1988-1996
- Articulation and Transfer Commission, 1989-1990
- Awards Committee, 1984-1993, 2004
- Career/Professional Development Committee, 1982-1999
- Consultant Team/Committee, 1986-1992
- Cultural Diversity/Diversity Committee, 1989-1997
- Governmental Relations Committee, 1983-1996, 2001-03
- Graduate Preparatory Committee, 1995-1996
- Graduate Student Committee, 1984-1992
- Historian, 1991-1992
- Linking Service, c. late 1970s
- Marketing Task Force, 1995-1996
- Member-at-Large Committee, 1989, 1992
- New Professionals Task Force, 1989, 1992
- Newsletter Editor, 1980-1989 (scattered), 2008-2009
- Placement Committee, 1980-1990 (scattered)
- Resource Clearinghouse Committee, 1981-1987
- Resource Clearinghouse Directory, 1985
- Strategic Plan Task Force, 1997-1998, 1998-1999
- Technology Task Force/Chair (includes print-out of website), 1996, 2000-2007
- Two Year Task Force, 1998
- Conference Planning, 1994-1996, 1998, n.d.
- Spring Conference, 1976
- Spring Conference, 1977
- Spring Conference, 1978
- Spring Conference, 1979
- Fall Conference, 1979
- Spring Conference, 1980
- Fall Conference, 1980
- Spring Conference, 1981
- Fall Conference, 1981
- Spring Conference, 1982
- Fall Conference, 1982
- Spring Conference, 1983
- Fall Conference, 1983
- Spring Conference, 1984
- Fall Conference, 1984
- Spring Conference, 1985
- Fall Conference, 1985
- Spring Conference, 1986
- Fall Conference, 1986
- Spring Conference, 1987
- Fall Conference, 1987
- Spring Conference, 1988
- Fall Conference, 1988
- Spring Conference, 1989
- Fall Conference, 1989
- Spring Conference, 1990
- Fall Conference, 1990
- Spring Conference, 1991
- Fall Conference, 1991
- Spring Conference, 1992
- Summer Workshop, 1992
- Fall Conference, 1992
- Spring Conference, 1993
- Fall Conference, 1993
- Spring Conference, 1994
- Summer Workshop, 1994
- Fall Conference, 1994
- Spring Conference, 1995
- Spring Seminar, 1995
- Fall Conference, 1995
- Spring Conference, 1996
- Support Staff Seminar, Spring 1996
- Fall Conference, 1996
- Fall Workshop, 1996
- Spring Conference, 1997
- Support Staff Seminar, Spring 1997
- Fall Conference, 1997
- Fall Workshop, 1997
- Support Staff Conference, Spring 1998
- Fall Conference, 1998
- Fall Workshop, 1998
- Support Staff Conference, Spring 1999
- Fall Conference, 1999
- Fall Workshop, 1999
- Support Staff Conference, Spring 2000
- Fall Conference-Joint with MCPA, 2000
- Fall Workshop, 2000
- Support Staff Conference, Spring 2001
- Professional Development Workshop (with NACA-GL), Spring 2001
- Fall Conference (25th anniversary), 2001
- Fall Workshop, 2001
- Support Staff Conference, Spring 2002
- Spring Conference, 2002
- Fall Workshop, 2002
- Joint Conference-OCPA and OASPA, January 2003
- Support Staff Conference, June 2003
- Careers in Student Affairs Fall Workshop, November 1996, 1999, 2000, 2003
- Joint Conference-OCPA and OASPA, January 2004
- Joint Conference-OCPA and OASPA, February 2005
- Joint Conference-OCPA and OASPA (CD disk on website information only), 2006
- Diversity Conference, June 2009
- Joint Conference-OCPA and OASPA (roster only), 2010
- Joint Conference-OCPA and OASPA, 2015
- OCPA Guidelines for publications, n.d.
- Newsletter, 1956, 1960, 1976-1980
- Newsletter, 1981-1985
- Newsletter, 1986-1990
- Newsletter, 1991-1995
- Newsletter, 1996-1998
- Newsletter, 1999-2008
- "Connections" Journal (establishment of and issues), 1987-1991
- Ohio College Student Development Journal, Vol. 1, No. 1, June 1998, Vol. 2, No. 1, June 1999
- OCPA Brochure, n.d.
Box 1: Photographs/Negatives
- Spring 1981 Conference
- Spring 1984 Conference
- Spring 1985 Conference
- Fall 1987 Conference
- Spring 1988 Conference
- Spring 1991 Conference
- New Professionals Conference 1992 (slide program)
- Fall 1998 Conference (photographs and slides)
- OCPA at ACPA-March 1999
- Fall 2001 Conference
- Conferences? n.d.
(one notebook of photographs from various conferences, 1985-1998 located in Oversize Box 2)
Oversize Box 1
- Certificate of Incorporation (framed), 1984
- OCPA State Division Charter (framed and loose), April 1976
- Proclamation by Ohio Governor Celeste establishing "Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week" (framed), 1984
- Outstanding Membership Increase Award, 1980-1981
- Outstanding State Division Award, 1982-1983
- Outstanding State Division Award, 1984-1985
- Outstanding State Division Award, 1988
- Outstanding Achievement in Membership Recruitment, 1988
- Outstanding Accomplishment State Division Award, 2014
- Certificate of Trade Name Registration, 2014
- Certificate of Service Mark Registration, 2015
- Membership Recruitment and Retention Award, 1990
- Membership Recruitment and Retention Award, 1993-1994
- Membership Recruitment and Retention Award, 1995-1996
- Membership Recruitment and Retention Award, 1998
- Conference Bag and Mug
- Notebook of photographs from conferences, 1985-1998