MS 441 - Ohio Association for Women in Education
|Title||MS 441 - Ohio Association for Women in Education|
The Ohio Association for Women in Education (OAWE) donated their archives to the Center for Archival Collections on May 21, 1985. OAWE records held at the Ohio State University Archives were transferred and added to the collection on October 4, 1985. The collection is comprised of board minutes, correspondence, committee and subject files, convention materials, and newsletters. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and copying is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by Wendy Evans, archival intern, in 1995. The arrangement and finding aid was updated by W. Alex Smith, archival assistant, in 2006.
The Ohio Association for Women in Education began in 1923-1924, as the Ohio Association of Deans of Women. It was affiliated with the National Association of Deans of Women as a state association. The first president was Irma E. Voigt who served from 1924 to 1928. Conferences were held and membership slowly increased. By the 1940 convention, speakers such as Dean Grace Zorbaugh were saying, “We have won the right to cut our hair and show our legs and also to select our occupations…We must develop a will-to-power among young women.” Due to WWII, the 1943 convention was canceled. In November of 1948, the association celebrated its twenty-fifth year.
In 1956, the Ohio Association of Deans of Women changed its name to the Ohio Association of Women Deans, Administrators, and Counselors, reflective of changes with the profession nationally. The OAWDAC had three types of membership: active, associate, and honorary. Later, membership was changed to include active retired members and student members. In 1967, elementary school administrators and counselors were added to the OAWDAC.
OAWDAC became involved with several state committees which addressed women’s issues. The association was one of sixteen organizations to be charter members of the Ohio Commission on the Status of Women. OAWDAC was active in support of the Equal Rights Amendment and was consulted for the Domestic Violence Bill of 1985. The OAWDAC supported the Family Education Rights and Privacy Law in 1976. In 1991, again reflected of changes with the national association, OAWDAC changed its name to the Ohio Association for Women In Education. It dissolved when the national association dissolved in 2000.
The Ohio Association for Women in Education collection is organized into ten record groups: Proceedings, Correspondence, Committees, Inter-association, Officers, Conventions, Reports, History, Scrapbook Materials, and Publications.
Articles of Incorporation/By-laws
Manual of Operation
History and Archives