MS 544 - The United Ladies' Sewing Circle (Sandusky, Ohio)
|MS 544 - The United Ladies' Sewing Circle (Sandusky, Ohio)
The United Ladies' Sewing Circle collection includes minutes, financial records, newspaper clippings, and one photograph from the German Ladies' Sewing Club, later renamed the United Ladies' Sewing Circle. Virtually all records are included in the collection, ranging from 1895-1985.
No restrictions exist on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for purposes of research and preservation. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by Ms. Anita Feick, October 19, 1988.
On January 28, 1891 Mrs. William Altstaetter and Mrs. Jacob Greenfelder founded the German Ladies' Sewing Circle, an independent women's organization consisting of twelve charter members. The organization was formed for charitable reasons. Women met weekly, sewing bedding and sheets for Good Samaritan and Providence Hospitals. The women continued to sew for Good Samaritan hospital, but they also entered into other charitable ventures, which included contributions to the needy and maintenance of day nursery facilities for small children of widows.
During World War I, original members feared that animosities toward the country of Germany would be directed at them because of the name German Ladies, so it was changed to the United Ladies' Sewing Circle. Priorities of the organization also changed. As the Good Samaritan Hospital's demand for home-sewn bedding decreased, the organization looked for other ways to serve the community. The organization expanded its contributions to Good Samaritan Hospital, the Young Men's Christian Association, Girl's State, Follett House, the Sparkle Shower for Toledo State Hospital and the Sandusky Area Cultural Center.
Although the priorities of the organization changed over time, eligibility and requirements have changed very little throughout the organization's continued existence. The United Ladies' Sewing Circle continues to meet weekly throughout the year. The organization, made up of daughters, granddaughters, and other relatives of the original members, continues to provide charitable services and contributions for the Sandusky community.
|Scope and Content
The United Ladies' Sewing Circle is comprised of minutes, financial records, newspaper clippings and one photograph. The minutes are complete from 1895-1985, except for the years 1900-1904. Minutes from the founding in 1891 to 1894 were burned during the smallpox siege. The minutes include business conducted at weekly meetings, dues and membership records, and receipts and expenditures.
The treasurer's books contain information on receipts and expenditures, statements on savings and war bonds, membership dues records, contributions, and bank account balances. These records are complete from 1902-1967. For earlier and later financial records, please refer to the minutes. The newspaper clippings include events sponsored by the United Ladies' Sewing Circle and descriptions of the history of the organization. The photograph is of the 25th anniversary meeting of the United Ladies' Sewing Circle, 1916. These records provide a comprehensive and detailed study of this late nineteenth and twentieth century women's charitable organization.
POSITIVE PRINT, 1916