MS 365 - Sorosis (Bowling Green, Ohio)
|Title||MS 365 - Sorosis (Bowling Green, Ohio)|
Minutes, newsclippings, constitutions, membership records and financial records form the nucleus of this collection from Sorosis, a Bowling Green woman's club. These records, which date from 1934 to 2005, illustrate the structure and activities of Sorosis, specifically the study topics, monthly programs and social activities.
The records were donated by Sorosis on May 17, 1984. More current records are periodically donated and added to the collection. No restrictions exist on the research use and duplication of this collection. The collection was processed and finding aid prepared by Mary Bosh in October 1985, with a revision by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, in August of 2013.
The Bowling Green woman's organization, now known by the name "Sorosis", was formed in 1934 as a response to the wishes of its founding members to create an organization for the purposes of study and discussion. Charter members, Clarice Banks, Dora Campbell, Clara Charlton, Ruth Claypool, Mildred Dicke, Helen Eisenhour, Maye Green, Sadie Leitman, Mary Mercer, Martha Ritz, Sara Sheon, and Helen Swanson first met on October 26, 1934 and organized such a discussion group which was called "Junior Sorosis." Meeting twice a month from September through May or June, the members studied wide-ranging topics in the areas of music, art, politics, religion, social issues, theatre, first aid, education and history.
Through the years, "Junior Sorosis" has changed very little in terms of purpose and the members continually have promoted the first established goal of, "to encourage intellectual growth and further personality development through social interests." Membership has fluctuated from as few as 10 to as many as 30, though in 1956, it was decided to place a ceiling of 25 on future membership. Meetings originally were held twice monthly from September through May or June, but by 1952, settled into a once-a-month pattern, September through May. The club affiliated with the Ohio Federation of Women's Clubs in 1945 and officially became "Sorosis" in that same year.
|Scope and Content|
The Sorosis collection is largely comprised of meeting minutes which describe in detail the events of each meeting as well as information on the membership of the club. The minutes are complete except for the years from September 1945 through May 1951, September 1985 through May 1994. A second excellent source of information in this collection include the newspaper clippings which provide details on the meeting topics and speakers as well as other club activities. These clippings are fairly complete from 1960 through 1979, with additional clippings attached to the minutes. The program booklets also assist in researching the activities and membership of the club and are fairly complete from 1965 to 2000. Unfortunately, only the 1935/36 and 1943/44 yearbooks are available prior to 1965.
Completing the collection are constitutions, membership records, financial ledger sheets and a few pieces of correspondence. These records add some information to the club's history, but are not as complete as the minutes, newspaper clippings and programs. The collection overall is small in size, but important in providing details as to the history and activities of this woman's organization.
SCRAPBOOK AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIALS