MS 290 - Faculty Dames/University Women
|MS 290 - Faculty Dames/University Women
|BGSU Centennial History
The records of the Faculty Dames/University Women of Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio were first donated, with the cooperation of Helene M. Weinberger, on January 25, 1983, with additional material received periodically. The collection consists of material, both formal and informal, highlighting the activities of the organization spanning nearly 80 years - 1930 to the present.
No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection. The register was first prepared by Karen Roberts in April 1985 and later updated by Ann Bowers and Marilyn Levinson as additional material was received.
The Faculty Dames began their recorded history in October of 1930 with 27 members present. Because of a reference to a former president in the first entry it is assumed that this organization began prior to 1930, although it is not exactly known when nor is there a reference to their beginning in any portion of this collection. It is known however that the organizations' officers change yearly.
Up until March of 1940, the Faculty Dames meetings were held in the homes of different members each month from October to May. In March of 1940 when the membership roster included 67 members, the Faculty Dames began to hold their meetings in various available lounges and rooms on the University Campus. When the Executive Board was organized in 1967, the Board returned to holding the monthly meetings in their homes. The membership meetings were reduced to one annual meeting but members still participated in various monthly programs set up by the Board.
Among the major changes which have occurred in this organization was the adoption of a less formal atmosphere of club meetings, which occurred in 1941. A second change was the formal name change in April 1972 of Faculty Dames to University Women of Bowling Green State University.
The creation of by-laws in November of 1966 formally established the Faculty Dames (later University Women) organization and stated their often repeated object: "to encourage a friendly and cooperative spirit within its diversified membership and to foster a continuing interest in the University." A Newcomer objective was injected in 1969: "to acquaint new faculty and staff men and wives with BGSU and the BG community. To assist new faculty and staff women and wives in meeting and socializing with established faculty and staff members. To provide an opportunity and forum for exchange of ideas and interest."
|Scope and Content
The major strength of the Faculty Dames/University Women Collection can be attributed to the organization's Executive Board, which began in 1967. Through the activities of this group, as seen in its minutes and newsletters, various monthly programs, a series of annual activity folders, and special interest groups developed which kept the members involved and active in the organization.
The scope of membership activity is illustrated in the rosters and program activity books. The news clippings and newsletters also provide details on programs, interest groups, officers and meetings. The records of Faculty Dames and then University Women are fairly complete for the early years up through the mid-1990s; after this time, the records become more scattered.
FACULTY DAMES/UNIVERSITY WOMEN'S MINUTES
MEMBERSHIP LIST - EXECUTIVE BOARD
MEMBERSHIP LIST - ACCOUNT TO BGSU OFFICERS AND STAFF
SUBJECT FILES/CASE FILES
REPORT OF COMMITTEE ON ATTENDANCE
TRIBUTE TO JEAN JEROME
SCRAPBOOK AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIAL
FACULTY DAMES/UNIVERSITY WOMEN NEWSLETTERS
PASTEUPS AND GRAPHIC MASTERS