MS 227 - College Women's Club (Sandusky, Ohio)
|MS 227 - College Women's Club (Sandusky, Ohio)
The College Women's Club, Sandusky, Ohio collection consists of minutes, yearbooks, financial records and scrapbook material, dating from 1915 to the present. The programs and financial reports were donated by the Sandusky Public Library and transferred to the Center for Archival Collections on March 11, 1982. The minutes and scrapbooks were donated directly by the Club and were transferred on April 18, 1983. Periodically, the Club transfers additions to the collection.
No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for the purposes of research and preservation. The collection was processed and register drafted by Tammy Weith, student assistant, in July 1982. The register was updated by Ann Bowers, Assistant Director, in October 1994, with further additions in 2005 and 2006.
On November 19, 1915, a meeting of all women college graduates in Sandusky, Ohio and vicinity was held. Mr. Chambers of the Federated Commercial Club addressed the women and discussed how an organization of women college graduates could help with the civic improvement of Sandusky. By January 1916, the College Women's Club had organized with elected officers and a written constitution. The Club's purpose, according to the constitution was "to unite the alumnae and former students of different universities and colleges, residing in Sandusky and vicinity, in order to promote social intercourse and to make work of college women an effective factor in Sandusky." Women who were college graduates or had completed two years in an approved university, college, technical school or conservatory were eligible for membership. The objectives and eligibility requirements have changed little throughout the Club's continuous existence.
The College Women's Club continues to meet monthly September through April. Educational programs are held during the meetings and money is raised through a variety of activities to support a local scholarship fund and several civic improvement and philanthropic projects. The Club operates through an Executive Board and standing committees.
|Scope and Content
The College Women's Club collection is comprised of minutes, yearbooks, financial reports and scrapbook material. The minutes are complete from November 1915, when the Club first organized, through January 1994. The minutes include constitutional changes, business conducted at general meetings and executive board meetings, programs held, membership and dues records and financial statements. The yearbooks, complete for the years 1920 through the present, except for 1922/23, 1923/24, 1925/26, and 1976/77, contain a listing of members' names and addresses, officers for the year and the monthly programs.
The financial records include a listing of receipts and expenditures, membership dues records, and bank account balances, and are complete from 1936 through 1984. Also included with the financial records are the statements and reports for the Student Loan Fund, which date from 1928 to the present. For earlier financial records, please refer to the minutes. The Sandusky/Erie County Community Foundation, College Women's Club Designated Fund is part of the permanent endowment funds managed by the Sandusky/Erie County Community Foundation. The principal of this fund is invested in the stock market. Each year, a percentage of the total fund value is available to be distributed as scholarships.
The scrapbook material includes constitutions, news clippings, correspondence, histories of the club, and a president's pin, dating from 1915 to 1976. The documents have been removed from the scrapbook for preservation purposes and filed in order of appearance in the scrapbook. Also included with the scrapbook materials is the 75th anniversary celebration file, dating from 1990-1991. Altogether these records provide a comprehensive and detailed study of this twentieth-century women's educational and civic organization.
STUDENT LOAN FUND RECORDS
SCRAPBOOK AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIAL
PIN & TRIVET