MS 225 - Altrusa International of Sandusky, Ohio
|MS 225 - Altrusa International of Sandusky, Ohio
The records of the Altrusa International of Sandusky, Ohio, date from 1935 to 1981. The history of this social organization is reflected in the collection which consists of meeting minutes, club programs, printed material, news clippings, and photographs.
The records of the Altrusa International of Sandusky, Ohio, were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in March 1982 through the cooperation of Ann Bowers, curator of manuscripts for the CAC and Marjori Wollf, President of the Altrusa International of Sandusky, Ohio. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. The collection was processed and the register drafted by Karen Snow, graduate assistant in history, in August 1982.
The first Altrusa Club was organized in Nashville, Tennessee, on April 11, 1917. The year following, membership on a classified basis was adopted by the clubs then organized. The National Association of Altrusa Clubs was incorporated under the laws of the State of Indiana on August 21, 1917, with the four clubs then in existence participating--Nashville, Tennessee; Louisville, Kentucky; Indianapolis, Indiana; and Dayton, Ohio. On December 31, 1923, the old incorporation was dissolved and new Articles of Incorporation for the National Association of Altrusa Clubs were filed. The National Association of Altrusa Clubs was the first national organization of business and professional women, either classified or unclassified.
Altrusa Clubs are classified and selective membership clubs composed of women who hold executive positions in diversified businesses and professions, or who own and operate their own businesses, or are practicing a profession. The proportion of a club's membership which may come from any one field is limited to ten percent of its total membership, and only one representative of each particular occupation classification can hold membership at any given time in a local club. Membership is by invitation. Altrusa is nonpartisan in politics and non-sectarian in religion.
As stated in the Member's Manual, the purpose of the organization is (1) to afford a main channel through which executive business and professional women representing a wide variety of occupational fields but with similar civic and altruistic motivations can work together thereby making possible the promotion of their common interests, and more effective the contribution of their combined services to civic, national, and international understanding and betterment; and (2) to extend the field for friendships and contacts among professional women beyond the bounds of their own professional groups.
The following are stated as objectives of the club: (1) to encourage, promote, extend, and supervise Altrusa throughout the United States of America, Dominion of Canada, Mexico, and other countries that may be approved by the International Executive Committee, and to coordinate and generally direct the activities of member clubs; (2) to cultivate friendly relationships, promote mutual understanding, and foster the solidarity of women who are actively engaged in business and professions; (3) to encourage high ethical standards of business and professional conduct; (4) to give vocational information to and be of service to both young and mature women already engaged in or entering business fields; (5) to encourage participation in community and public affairs on a nonpartisan basis; (6) to promote educational and cultural training and improvement; and (7) to be informed on international affairs and promote mutual understanding between peoples of all nations.
|Scope and Content
The records of the Altrusa International of Sandusky, Ohio, document the history of the social organization form 1935 to 1981. Predominately consisting of minutes, club programs, correspondence, news clippings, photographs, and printed material, the growth of the organization and its impact on the community can be successfully documented.
The organization minutes date from 1935 to 1979 and are therefore quite complete. These minutes document the time and place of meetings, issues discussed and voted on, elections held, civic projects undertaken, and charitable enterprises. These are complemented by Board Minutes which date from 1936 to 1941. Through an evaluation of these documents, one can learn the changing attitudes and purposes of the club as well as detect, to some degree, the opinion of local and national society and women as a whole.
Various other sources reflect the activities and attitudes of the Altrusa Club on the local, national, and even international level. For the local level, these include news clippings dating from 1930 to 1981 and the local _Newsletter_. They contain information on local members, projects, and charities. On a national and international level, the various convention programs, conference notes, and newsletters and printed materials can indicate the activities of the Altrusa International, Inc.
Completing the collection are various reports (budget, committee), club histories, membership lists, correspondence, and photographs which further aid in the compilation of information on the club.
MEMBERSHIP AND OFFICER LISTS
FOURTH DISTRICT EXTENSION REPORT
REPORT OF GOVERNOR
ALTRUSA DIGEST AND MEMBERSHIP MANUAL
ALTRUSA DISTRICT FIVE SERVICE BULLETIN
ALTRUSA INTERNATIONAL DISTRICT FIVE 15TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE PROGRAM/FILES
ALTRUSA INTERNATIONAL SERVICE BULLETIN
THE OPEN CIRCUIT
PAMPHLETS AND BROCHURES
WORKSHOP AND SEMINAR NOTES