MS 3 - Patrons of Husbandry, Ohio State Grange, Union Grange #1475
|Title||MS 3 - Patrons of Husbandry, Ohio State Grange, Union Grange #1475|
The records of the Union Grange, #1475, were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in 1972 through the cooperation of Floyd Legalley, Grange Master, and Paul D. Yon, Associate Director of the Center for Archival Collections. The collection consists of one and one-quarter linear feet of minutes, financial and membership records which cover the years 1898 to 1962, with the majority of the material documenting the period from 1920 to 1950. The minutes, roll books and dues accounts are the most complete records within the collection.
All property, literary and duplication rights of the Union Grange records have been conveyed to the Center for Archival Collections and the public for historical research. The register was compiled by Elizabeth Charles in March 1980.
This collection and finding aid were revised when additional documents were donated in February 1985. Monica Manny, masters student in American Studies, interviewed several Wood County families and individuals for her thesis research on the Union Grange. The tape recordings and transcripts were added to the collection and the finding aid appropriately revised.
The Union Grange was chartered, with eighteen members, November 19, 1897, by J. B. Smith. Its first Master was J. S. Brigham and first secretary, James Duncan. This grange is active and open to anyone interested in the farming community. The Union Grange currently includes a little over one hundred members.
The Grange, organized on a national, state, county, and local level, combines fraternity, ritual, and business with cultural and educational programs. Women have been admitted from the beginning as equal members, and a juvenile grange promotes total family participation in this organization.
|Scope and Content|
The Union Grange records document the membership and activities of the organization for a sixty-four year period. The secretary's minutes (1902-1909, 1929-1962) include names of officers and members present, business and literary programs conducted, and financial reports. Membership records (1898-1940) and dues records (1899-1951) provide member's name, age, occupation, status, and dues paid. Quarterly reports (1936-1938, 1944-1945) and inspection reports (1939, 1942, 1944-1945) provide additional information on membership statistics, projects, and community services. Union Juvenile Grange minutes (1932-1940) and dues account book (1930-1937) include information on membership, activities, and business conducted during meetings.
Financial records include a ledger (1932-1947) and a receipt book (1934-1940). Correspondence (1938, 1940, 1943-1946), a Grange lecture book (1954-1956), and a scrapbook (1956) complete this collection.
Added to the collection in February 1985 are seven tape recordings with transcripts of interviews conducted by Monica Manny for her masters thesis, of Wood County farming families and individuals concerning their relationship with the Union Grange. The people interviewed include Earl and Thelma Avery, Richard and Ethel Avery, Floyd and Anna Legalley, Alva Bachman and George Wilson.
JUVENILE GRANGE MINUTES
DUES ACCOUNT BOOK
JUVENILE GRANGE DUES ACCOUNT BOOK