Skip to main content

Browse Items (65 total)

  • Tags: University Archives
  • Collection: Center for Archival Collections
Sort by:

Educational Memorabilia Center: Little Red Schoolhouse

The collection is comprised of two parts, the first from 1969-2004 contains three linear feet of minutes, correspondence, files, literary productions, articles, news clippings, and photographs documenting the development of a one-room schoolhouse museum and education center on the campus of Bowling Green State University.  Documentation features information about the schoolhouse’s use, tours, classes, fundraising, donations, and future development.  Basic research materials about one-room school houses in Wood County, Northwest Ohio, and other parts of the state are also included in the collection.  

The second part of the collection contains educational artifacts including penmanship booklets, textbooks, reference works, grade cards, teaching certificates, diplomas, slates, inkwells, bells, lunch pails, and various period teaching instruments, many of which were in use from 1876-1940, the approximate years the university’s Little Red Schoolhouse operated as District School # 6, Norwalk, Ohio.




MS 778 - MidAmerican Center for Contemporary Music

Preliminary inventory available at the Center for Archival Collections.


UA 001 - Board of Trustees Records, 1911-2017

The records of the Board of Trustees of Bowling Green State University.

Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted.

Board of Trustee meeting minutes can be read and searched online.  Handwritten and typed card indexes also exists for Board actions.  These indexes appear to cover from the 1920s-ca. 1987, though the bulk of the actions recorded are from the 1950s-1970s.  These indexes can be accessed at the University Archives' reading room.


UA 002A - Office of the President (Homer B. Williams) Records, 1910-1943

Homer B. Williams (1865-1943), served as the first President of Bowling Green State University from 1912-1937 and interim president for part of 1938-1939.   When Williams retired as president, BGSU had grown from a normal school to a state university, with an original faculty of 15 to one numbering over 100, and a student enrollment of 153 to one of over 1,800.   The campus had also grown, from the original Administration Building to nine buildings.


UA 002B - Office of the President (Roy E. Offenhauer) Records, 1937-1938

Dr. Roy Offenhauer (1881-1938) served as the second president of Bowling Green State University from 1937-1938.  

As president of Bowling Green State University, Dr. Offenhauer instituted a number of policies that increased enrollment by eighteen percent. It was under his leadership that the university began offering extension classes. He established the Policies Commission, which was the first step in providing faculty with a greater say in developing the policies of the University. During his presidency, the university adopted the 1925 statement of principles of the American Association of University Professors, creating the first official tenure policy for the University.


Dr. Offenhauer also began an extensive building program designed to expand and improve the campus. During his presidency, three buildings were constructed, the largest amount of simultaneous construction undertaken up to this point in the university’s history. The buildings were the Women’s Gymnasium (1938), the Natatorium (1938), and the Men’s Dormitory (completed 1939). The dormitory was named Clayton C. Kohl Hall in honor of the distinguished social science teacher who had died in only four months before Dr. Offenhauer.

In addition, Dr. Offenhauer instituted a beautification and improvement project for the University. The program, which cost nearly $700,000, repaired and redecorated buildings, reconstructed athletic fields, and provided additional facilities for physical education. It also constructed sidewalks, an outdoor theater, and improved the landscaping on campus. Much of this work had been deferred due to the economic hardships of the Great Depression.


UA 002C - Office of the President (Frank J. Prout) Records, 1939-1951

After the unexpected death of President Roy Offenhauer in 1938, Frank J. Prout (1883-1967) was selected to lead BGSU, serving as President from 1939-1951.  During his twelve-year tenure as President, Prout guided the campus through the difficult years of WWII and oversaw the development of BGSU as it changed from a teachers' college to a university.

World War II caused the student population to decrease drastically as many students were drafted or enlisted in the military. The deflated enrollment meant the university would not be able to pay its faculty. The most viable solution was to secure government training programs. Under Prout’s leadership, the university was chosen as the site for the Navy College Training Program, also known as the V-12 program. With this program in place, the university's financial problems were almost entirely solved. However, there was a shortage of housing.

Dr. Prout ensured that BGSU would be able to handle the increased housing needs caused by the V-12 program during the war as well as the increased enrollment of the post-war era. He took advantage of legislation that allowed universities to issue bonds for building dormitories. Kohl Hall had been financed in this way under President Offenhauer. As a result, several more dormitories were constructed, including Rodgers Hall, and BGSU was able to handle the population increase, while the number of permanent buildings on campus increased to fifty.

The university's national reputation rose thanks to Dr. Prout’s leadership. The construction of cottage-style housing on campus (also known as fraternity and sorority rows) enticed national Greek organizations to accept local fraternities and sororities as chapter. The Graduate College was also founded during this time. By the time of Prout's retirement, enrollment had nearly quadrupled and the total campus acreage doubled from pre-war figures.


UA 002D - Office of the President (Ralph W. McDonald) Records, 1939-1961

Dr. Ralph McDonald (1903-1977) became Bowling Green State University’s fourth president in 1951 and served until 1961. During Dr. McDonald’s presidency, student enrollment nearly doubled and the total campus acreage increased from 240 acres to 600 acres. Over the course of his ten-year presidency, he oversaw the construction of ten new buildings and the renovation of many others.

At the outset of Dr. McDonald's presidency, lack of on-campus housing was a major problem. In response to this need Rodgers, Founders, Conklin Quadrangles, and the Alice Prout Residence Hall were constructed. In addition, the University Union, Memorial Hall (housing Anderson Arena), West Hall, and South Hall were completed. By the end of Dr. McDonald’s term, all but one of the temporary buildings put in place during World War II had been eliminated or replaced. The total cost of all the building construction and renovation during Dr. McDonald’s term amounted to almost $35 million.

Dr. McDonald’s experience and qualifications marked him as someone who would move Bowling Green State University from its traditional role as a teacher training college to a full-fledged liberal arts university, preparing its graduates for leadership in a troubled and complex world. With this goal in mind, Dr. McDonald sought to increase the number of faculty holding Ph.D. degrees who were active in research and publication, in addition to classroom teaching. During this time there was a movement at universities across the nation aimed at providing faculty and students with greater liberty and opportunities to influence university policy. In contrast, Dr. McDonald viewed the role of university president as strongly authoritative. Controversies inevitably flared from time to time, and faculty and student morale suffered. Over the years, the situation worsened, culminating in student demonstrations in 1961 and numerous faculty petitions. Dr. McDonald resigned the office of president in 1961.


UA 002E - Office of the President (Ralph G. Harshman) Records, 1959-1963

Ralph Garling Harshman (1893-1974) served as BGSU's fifth president from 1961-1963. He was born November 6, 1893 near Williamstown, Hancock County, Ohio, the son of Will and Alberta Harshman. He received his Bachelor’s degree in 1917 from Ohio Northern University, going on to receive both his Master’s and his Ph.D. from the Ohio State University in 1926 and 1933, respectively. He died in January 1974.

Beginning his career at BGSU in 1936 as an assistant professor of business administration, Harshman eventually became the first Dean of the College of Business Administration. As dean, he oversaw an enrollment explosion as the college grew from fifty-one students in 1937 to over 1,400 following World War II. Under his leadership, BGSU gained full membership in the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business in 1954. He also served as Dean of Administration and Vice President.

The Board of Trustees elected Dr. Harshman to be president of BGSU in 1961. Dr. Harshman was the first university president at Bowling Green State University to have come from the ranks of the university staff. He had been retired for a year before the Board of Trustees chose him, and he agreed to return for a term of two years.

During his short term as president, Dr. Harshman instituted a number of policies aimed at improving faculty morale and instilling faith in the University. He began decentralizing the administration with policies delegating more authority to the college deans. He also invited faculty cooperation in the selection of department chairs and new deans for the Colleges of Liberal Arts and Education. Dr. Harshman also worked to restore student morale, largely through the creation of the Committee on Student Affairs.

In 1963, Dr. Harshman was awarded the “Scroll of Appreciation” by the US Air Force, the highest honor that service may confer upon a civilian educator. Extremely active in university athletics as well, Dr. Harshman served for fifteen years as chairman of the University Athletics Committee. During that time, Bowling Green State University joined the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and helped found the Mid-American Conference (MAC). Harshman also served as secretary, vice president, and president of the Mid-American Conference.


UA 002F - Office of the President (William T. Jerome) Records, 1957-1971

William Travers Jerome, III (1919-2008) was a 1941 magna cum laude graduate of Colgate University. He earned his master's and doctorate degrees from Harvard University and was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Middlebury College, Vermont. He served as Bowling Green State University's sixth president from 1963-1970.

Dr. Jerome served as teacher, administrator, research associate, lecturer, writer, and consultant to both business and government. His career as an educational administrator began at Middlebury, Vermont, where he was assistant to the President and instructor in economics (1946-1950). In 1953 he was appointed Associate Professor of Business Administration at Syracuse University, where, in 1958, he became Dean of the College of Business Administration.

In 1963, Dr. Jerome became president of Bowling Green State University. During his seven years as president, he guided the University through a period of rapid physical growth due to a major jump in enrollment, as evidenced by the addition of ten buildings, including the library, and the establishment of programs such as the Center for the Study of Social Behavior. Library growth during this time included the establishment of the University Archives, the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes, and the Browne Popular Culture Library.

Dr, Jerome also guided the campus during the turbulent Vietnam era. Thanks to his leadership, BGSU remained open during the days following the May 1970 Kent State shootings, the only Ohio state university to do so.

Dr. Jerome left BGSU in 1970 to accept a position as special consultant to the President of Florida International University. He later became Distinguished University Professor of Management at FIU.

In 1982, the Bowling Green State University Board of Trustees passed a resolution re-naming the University Library in honor of Dr. Jerome. A rededication and naming ceremony was held at the William T. Jerome Library on September 23, 1983.


UA 002H - Office of the President (Paul J. Olscamp) Records, 1965-1999

Paul J. Olscamp (1937-) served as Bowling Green State University's eighth president from 1982-1995. He was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada on August 29, 1937, and received his Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degrees from the University of Western Ontario in 1958 and 1960, respectively. Dr. Olscamp went on to receive his doctorate in philosophy from the University of Rochester in 1962, the first such degree awarded there. His continuing love of the subject was evident during his time at BGSU, as he taught a philosophy course almost every semester while simultaneously managing all his duties as president.

Dr. Olscamp was appointed as president of Bowling Green State University on March 15, 1982. Before coming to BGSU, he served as president of Western Washington University for seven years. His appointment as BGSU’s president was the result of an eleven month search following the death of Dr. Hollis Moore. Due to the public perception that the Board of Trustees were not willing to share adequate information about the search, his transition to office did not go smoothly. Despite his rocky beginning as president, Dr. Olscamp strove to embody the slogan, “An Environment of Excellence.”

Over the course of Dr. Olscamp's twelve year term, academics at BGSU improved greatly. Graduate student enrollment increased by 23 percent during this time, with five new doctoral programs created. In addition, the number of scholarships for academic excellence increased greatly. Dr. Olscamp was also instrumental in the development of the Center for Photochemical Sciences. The number of holdings at the library increased to over 4 million volumes under his leadership.

Dr. Olscamp also played an active role in improving BGSU’s financial situation. The university's endowment increased from $1.9 million to over $47.4 million during his presidency. As a result, he created the first endowed professorships at BGSU. During this time, the faculty was given a role in developing the annual budget and shared authority with the president in interpreting the academic charter. He also held periodic forums with students where they could voice their concerns about campus issues.

While president of BGSU, Dr. Olscamp held a position on the Board of Directors of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities. He was appointed to the National Council on the Humanities by President Ronald Reagan in 1987. In 1989 he was elected as the Mid-American Conference representative to the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Presidents' Commission.

Due to statewide budget cuts, the Board of Trustees asked Dr. Olscamp to stay on as president beyond his anticipated retirement in 1994. Following his retirement from BGSU in 1995, Dr. Olscamp served as interim president of the University of South Dakota and then went on to hold the same position at Mayville State University in North Dakota.


UA 019 - Undergraduate Student Government

The Undergraduate Student Government’s mission is to act as an influential governing service to advance and accurately represent the needs of the student body by initiating any action necessary to develop an acceptable solution. The Undergraduate Student Government hears the concerns of undergraduate students. It works to find beneficial solutions by engaging all members of the campus (administrators, faculty, staff, student groups and the student body at large) to address undergraduate concerns. 

The members of USG are elected annually to represent the student body. Senators serve as representatives from the academic colleges and the residential areas, as well as in at-large and diversity affairs positions. They serve on nearly every administrative body of the University, and speak regularly with the administration of various on-campus departments and offices involving undergraduate students. 

The collection consists mostly of governance documents (including minutes, agendas, bylaws, constitutions, etc.), as well as correspondence, subject files, and official reports.

Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted. Periodic transfers of records are expected from the office indefinitely.

 



UA 022 - Administrative Staff Council (1979-2014)

The Administrative Staff Council (ASC) supports the mission of BGSU through representing administrative staff members by promoting their general welfare; seeking professional development opportunities maintaining communications among staff members; and reviewing, initiating, and making recommendations on institutional policies.

The collection consists mostly of official meeting minutes of the council and its various committees, including its executive committee, personnel welfare committee, and salary committee. There is also correspondence, handbook revisions, and materials relating to awards given by the council.

Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted. Periodic transfers of records are expected from the office indefinitely.


UA 026 - Athletics Department Records, 1915-2010

Records documenting intercollegiate sports at Bowling Green State University obtained from the Department of Athletics. 

Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted.

Additional BGSU athletics materials may be found in the Sports Press Guides and Programs collection, as well as in coach and faculty papers included in the Center for Archival Collections manuscript collections, including the Mel Brodt Collection, Jack Vivian Photograph Collection, Doyt Perry Collection, Don Cunningham Papers, Sue Hager Papers, Bruce Bellard Papers, Charles E. Perry Collection, Women's Basketball Legacy collection, and Sports History Notebooks.   



UA 027 - Sports Press Guides and Programs, 1923-2015

Publications created for the media and sports fans about BGSU intercollegiate teams.

Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted.


UA 029 - Center for Regional Development Records, 2000-2009

Work product of the Center for Regional Development located at Bowling Green State University.

Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted.


UA 031 - Greek Affairs Collection, 1923-2008 (1950s-1990s bulk)

This collection documents the history of Greek life on the BGSU campus with both organizational files and subject files.





UA 043 - African Peoples Association Records, 1971-2009 (gaps)

Records of student organization African Peoples Association (formerly Black African Peoples Association) documenting some of their activities on the BGSU campus.

Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted.


UA 047 - Political Science Department Records, 1975-2010

Records of the Political Science Department at Bowling Green State University.

Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted.