Browse Items (31 total)
- Collection: Center for Archival Collections
The Michigan College Personnel Association donated their archives to the Center for Archival Collections to be part of the National Student Affairs Archives on March 23, 2005. The six cubic feet of constitutions, minutes, correspondence, conference files, committee files and publications date from the establishment of the Association in 1952-1953 and continue through 2006. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and duplication is permitted for scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid prepared by Ann Bowers, National Student Affairs Archivist, in May 2006.
The following history is taken from the MCPA website:
On July 31, 1952, thirteen individuals from eleven Michigan colleges and universities gathered at the University High School in Ann Arbor to formally establish the Michigan College Counselors Association (MCCA). In December, the first conference was held at Michigan State University. The first MCCA newsletter was published in 1954.
Although the American College Personnel Association (ACPA) was not chartering state divisions in the 1950's, the MCCA continued to strengthen its ties with the national organization. In October 1957, MCCA officially changed its name to the Michigan College Personnel Association (MCPA) and adopted its first constitution. The first MCPA journal was published in the spring of 1964.
In the 1960's, MCPA was caught in the middle of the affiliation struggles between ACPA and the American Personnel and Guidance Association (APGA). At the time, APGA was the parent association of ACPA. Reluctant to become affiliated with APGA or its state chapter, the Michigan Personnel and Guidance Association, MCPA remained as a state division without official recognition until March 27, 1972.
Part of this recognition meant that members of MCPA were also required to be members of MPGA, and during some years, APGA. In 1983, MCPA changed its constitution to allow individuals to become members of MCPA without having to also become members of MPGA. In September of 1992, after forty years of discussion about the affiliation with APGA (renamed in the interim period the American Association for Counseling and Development), ACPA officially disaffiliated from its parent association. The following July, MCPA completed its disaffiliation with both AACD and MACD.
In October 2002, MCPA celebrated its 50th anniversary at the annual conference in Grand Rapids. The theme of the conference was Memories of the Past...Reflections of the Future. The organization took this theme to heart and began to plan the future of the organization. MCPA became incorporated in August 2003 and received their 501 (c) 3 status with IRS in August 2004. These actions moved MCPA into the position to more efficiently and effectively function as professional organization.
From an organization of thirteen professionals, MCPA grew to 86 members in three years and nearly tripled in size ten years later. Currently, MCPA maintains a membership of approximately 275 professionals representing nearly every area within student affairs as well as every institution of higher education in the state. MCPA has not only grown in size, but has grown in its offerings to its members. The organization has moved from one conference and a journal to an annual conference, three one-day professional development events, a Website, a listserve, a journal, and three newsletters a year.
The Michigan College Personnel Association is one of the largest state divisions with ACPA, consisting of dedicated professionals who regularly contribute to the field at the state, regional and national levels.
First established as a division of the American Association for Counseling and Development, the primary mission of the American College Counseling Association is to serve those in higher education whose professional identity is counseling and whose purpose is fostering student development. The ACCA collection includes four cubic feet of executive council minutes, constitutions and bylaws, handbooks, committee files, financial reports, conference files and publications, dating from 1991 to the present.
1961 to the present Recognized as a state affiliate of the National Association for College Admission Counseling as early as 1946, this organization is comprised of professionals dedicated to assisting high school students in the transition from…
The American College Health Association collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections, to become part of the National Student Affairs Archives, in September 2007. The collection consists of proceedings, annual meeting files, committee files, correspondence, financial records, subject files, documents on the affiliates and sections, publications, and audio-visuals, dating from 1920 to the present. The collection is open to researchers, with one restriction. Researchers not affiliated with the ACHA must inform the ACHA Executive Director or designee about their research interests.
Since its inception in 1920, the American College Health Association has been dedicated to the health needs of students at colleges and universities. It is the principal leadership organization for the field of college health and provides services, communications, and advocacy that help its members to advance the health of their campus communities (from the ACHA website). A more detailed history of ACHA can be found at: http://www.acha.org/about_acha/history.cfm
In 1976-1977, Alice R. Manicur was selected as the first woman president to serve the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA). She has also served in many NASPA capacities and chaired the San Francisco Conference in 1975. She was the first woman to hold a voting position on the NASPA Executive Committee. She was dean of students at Frostburg State College (Maryland) for many years and is the first – and only – person to hold that position. She has been active in other organizations and won SPATE’s award for meritorious service in 1972. In 1996, the NASPA Symposium for Women Aspiring to be Chief Student Affairs Officers was named for her.
1968-1999 Alice Manicur served as the first woman president of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. She was dean of students at Frostburg State University for many years. In 1996, the NASPA Symposium for Women Aspiring to be…
The National Association for Women in Education (NAWE) collection contains over seventy cubic feet of material dating from 1903 to 2000. Proceedings, correspondence, financial documents, membership and committee files, audio-visual materials, and publications provide detailed resources for the institutional history of NAWE as well as the history of women in the field of higher education.
Represented are the files of each level of the Association’s organization structure. These structural levels include the Executive Board, officers and appointees, the Executive Office, state and regional affiliates, divisions, and committees and task forces. Also included are groups pertaining to special functions such as the Association’s trust fund/foundation, conventions, conferences, symposiums and workshops, literary works, publications, and NAWE’s relationship with other associations and public agencies.
The collection was obtained in January 1982, largely through the efforts of Jo Ann Fley, NAWE Archivist, Barbara Keller, NAWE Secretary, JoAnne Trow, NAWE President, and Patricia Rueckel, Executive Director. The NAWE collection forms a major part of the National Student Affairs Archives. Access to the collection is open to the public, and duplication is permitted for the purpose of conservation and research.
The National Association for Women in Education officially was established in 1916, with a membership of fifty women, following a series of meetings first initiated, in 1903, by Marion Talbot, Dean of Women at the University of Chicago, and Martha Foote Crow, Dean of Women at Northwestern University. This new professional association was named, National Association of Women Deans. Its mission included the following: “to make clear to the public and governing boards of educational institutions, where girls and women are educated, the necessity of having in each of these institutions a competent and thoroughly trained woman as dean of women, or of girls; to establish a high standard of qualifications and to secure adequate professional recognition for the position of dean of women; and to study the problems common to all deans of women and to disseminate information valuable in the solution of them.”
In 1956, the membership voted to recognize both its own expanding membership base and the expanding role of women educators and changed its name to the National Association of Women Deans and Counselors. During the same year, state and regional associations were formally affiliated with NAWDC. In 1973, the membership again voted to recognize the expanding role of women and changed its name to the National Association of Women Deans, Administrators and Counselors. Membership was open to men in 1976. A last name change occurred in 1991. This time the membership voted to simplify its name to the National Association for Women in Education reflecting its emphasis on holistic and life-long human development. Its mission changed to being “dedicated to providing professional support for women educators through programs, services, advocacy, and scholarly publications.”
NAWE’s role as an advocate for the quality of women, minorities, and the handicapped has been an integral part of the Association’s mission and work. Emphasis upon physical health programs and the educational guidance of youth dominated the first decades. During the 1950s attention turned toward civil rights. Since 1969, interest in the international and minority student has been addressed by the work of two distinct committees. Support of academic and vocational programs, facilities and financial assistance of the handicapped is evidenced by NAWE’s appointment to the President’s Commission on the Employment of the Handicapped in 1963. IN 1975, NAWE was one of the first organizations to pass a resolution of economic boycott against states which had not ratified the Equal Rights Amendment.
NAWE throughout its existence worked with other professional organizations to address such issues as vocational training, Greek life, alcohol and substance abuse, student freedoms and discipline, and professional standards. Despite efforts to increase membership and funds through foundation-related activities during the 1990s, the organization had to disband during the Summer of 2000.
The American College Personnel Association (ACPA-College Student Educators International) collection was donated in April 1983, as a key addition to the National Student Affairs Archives. Many additions have been made to the collection since 1983. The collection now consists of 135 linear feet of documents and encompasses the dates, 1932 to the present.
The collection is organized into thirteen record groups, and a description of each group precedes the box/folder inventory. The record groups are: Administrative Files; Commissions; Standing Committees; Committees, Task Forces, Core Councils; Conferences and Workshops; Executive Office; Foundation; Inter-Association Activities; Officer Files; Publications; State and International Divisions; Audio-Visuals; and, Ephemera.
The America College Personnel Association initially grew out of interest expressed by collegiate-level placement officers, then called appointment secretaries, at a meeting held in 1923 with the National Association of Women Deans under the auspices of the National Education Association. One year later in Chicago, the National Association of Appointment Secretaries was formed with nine members and May L. Cheney as president. During the next few years membership grew and in 1931, the organization changed its name to the American College Personnel Association, with two important organizational purposes: establishing sections within the national organization which would deal with different kinds of personnel work, and focusing on the promotion and development of people engaged in personnel responsibilities at the college level. Membership quickly grew and many of the early ACPA presidents were also leaders in the emerging field of “college personnel,” including, Esther Lloyd-Jones, E.G. Williamson, and C. Gilbert Wrenn.
ACPA was instrumental in working with other professional organizations to create the American Personnel and Guidance Association (APGA) , with ACPA becoming Division #1 on July 1, 1952. In 1983, ACPA was incorporated under the District of Columbia Non-Profit Act. In the spring of 1991, after forty years, ACPA leaders and members voted to disaffiliate from AACD (previously APGA), later renamed the American Counseling Association (ACA). This separation became effective on September 30, 1992. ACPA moved into new office space at the National Center for Higher Education at One Dupont Circle, NW, in Washington, D. C.
ACPA continues to be recognized for its leadership in addressing issues and trends in student affairs within the context of higher education. Its mission is to support and foster college student learning through the generation and dissemination of knowledge, which informs policies, practices, and programs for student affairs professionals and the higher education community. For a detailed history, please see the ACPA website at http://www2.myacpa.org.
The Association of Fraternity Advisors donated their archives to the Center for Archival Collections in December of 1983, to be part of the National Student Affairs Archives. Additional donations of records occur periodically. The collection is comprised of board minutes, by-laws, former officer files, regional association reports, conference files, financial records, committee files, publications and photographs, dating largely from 1976 to the present. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and copying is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by W. Alex Smith, archival assistant, in July 2006.
The Association of Fraternity Advisors was founded in 1976 as an organization which gave individuals concerned with the fraternity/sorority movement an avenue for professional growth and development. Growing quickly, AFA began developing the first of many position statements, one on alcohol and one on hazing, holding conferences and publishing a newsletter. Eventually AFA developed a code of ethics for professionals working with fraternities and sororities on college campuses.
Today, as it was at its inception, the AFA’s mission is to enhance its members’ ability to create fraternity and sorority experiences that positively affect students, host institutions and communities. This mission is undertaken by the AFA’s five regions. These five regions provide cooperation and professional stimulation to the fraternities and sororities of the US and Canada. (AFA Standard Operating Procedures Manual)
More information about the AFA can be found on their website at www.afa1976.org
The National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA-Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education) collection was donated on October 24, 1983, as an important part of the National Student Affairs Archives. Many additions have been made to the collection since 1983. The collection consists of 155 linear feet of documents and encompasses the dates, 1919 to the present.
The collection is organized into eleven record groups, and a description of each group precedes the box/folder inventory. The record groups are: Administrative Files; Committees, Task Forces, Networks, and Knowledge Communities; Conference, Workshops, Seminars, and Institutes; Divisions, Centers, Academies and Programs; Executive Office; Foundation; Inter-association Activities; Officers and Appointees; Publications; Regions: and, Audio-Visuals.
NASPA-Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education was first organized in 1919 as the National Association of Deans and Advisors of Men. The beginning activities of this association revolved around annual conferences. By the 1930s, a formal constitution was approved. In 1951, the name of the organization changed to the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, broadening its membership base. Five commissions were established at the 1951 conference to deal with substantive, ongoing issues. These commissions also allowed more members to participate in the association’s work. Regions developed during the early 1960s, with elected Vice Presidents. These regions also allowed for more member participation in the development and successful completion of NASPA’s goals and objectives. Initiatives developed during the 1970s to allow more inclusion of women and minorities. A part-time controller was selected in 1970, and over time this position developed into a staffed executive office located in Washington, D.C. Divisions replaced the early commissions, centers and academies emerged along with workshops and institutes to cover the broad spectrum of issues facing student affairs administrators at college and university campuses across the nation and throughout the world. The Foundation was formally established in 1973, and now funds research and other initiatives deemed of importance to NASPA and the student affairs profession. For a detailed history, please see the NASPA website at: http://www.naspa.org
1966-present The AFLV was formed in 2008 when the boards and membership of the Mid-American Greek Council Association and the Western Region Greek Association voted to consolidate the two organizations. The AFLV began operation on July 1, 2009. …
1935-present Since 1934, AAEE has provided members with direct address to research publications and networking opportunities focused on educator preparation, recruitment, hiring and retention. The collection includes minutes, conference files,…
1966 to the present Formerly the Ohio Personnel and Guidance Association, established in 1966, and then the Ohio Association for Counseling and Development, this association's collection includes five cubic feet of minutes, officer reports and…
The Ohio Association for Women in Education (OAWE) donated their archives to the Center for Archival Collections on May 21, 1985. OAWE records held at the Ohio State University Archives were transferred and added to the collection on October 4, 1985. The collection is comprised of board minutes, correspondence, committee and subject files, convention materials, and newsletters. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and copying is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by Wendy Evans, archival intern, in 1995. The arrangement and finding aid was updated by W. Alex Smith, archival assistant, in 2006.
The Ohio Association for Women in Education began in 1923-1924, as the Ohio Association of Deans of Women. It was affiliated with the National Association of Deans of Women as a state association. The first president was Irma E. Voigt who served from 1924 to 1928. Conferences were held and membership slowly increased. By the 1940 convention, speakers such as Dean Grace Zorbaugh were saying, “We have won the right to cut our hair and show our legs and also to select our occupations…We must develop a will-to-power among young women.” Due to WWII, the 1943 convention was canceled. In November of 1948, the association celebrated its twenty-fifth year.
In 1956, the Ohio Association of Deans of Women changed its name to the Ohio Association of Women Deans, Administrators, and Counselors, reflective of changes with the profession nationally. The OAWDAC had three types of membership: active, associate, and honorary. Later, membership was changed to include active retired members and student members. In 1967, elementary school administrators and counselors were added to the OAWDAC.
OAWDAC became involved with several state committees which addressed women’s issues. The association was one of sixteen organizations to be charter members of the Ohio Commission on the Status of Women. OAWDAC was active in support of the Equal Rights Amendment and was consulted for the Domestic Violence Bill of 1985. The OAWDAC supported the Family Education Rights and Privacy Law in 1976. In 1991, again reflected of changes with the national association, OAWDAC changed its name to the Ohio Association for Women In Education. It dissolved when the national association dissolved in 2000.
The Ohio Association of Student Personnel Administrators donated their archives, with the help of Fayetta Paulsen, to the Center for Archival Collections in January 1986. The collection is comprised of constitutions, conference records, historical information, membership lists and financial records. A few minutes of board meetings and annual business meetings also are included. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and copying is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by Joanna B. Russ in October 1989, and updated by W. Alex Smith, archival assistant, in August 2006.
According to the OASPA constitution, the purpose of the association is to provide a forum to discuss and study the most effective methods of aiding students in their intellectual, social, moral and personal development and also to promote cooperation and communication among Ohio student affairs officers. OASPA is part of Region IV-E of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. Most of OASPA business historically has been conducted during an annual fall conference and also through the Advisory board meetings. OASPA confers annually the Gerald Saddlemire Award which is based on significant experience in the field of higher education and student affairs, demonstrated professional involvement at the state, regional and national levels, and commitment to the personal and educational success of both new professionals and students.
1949 to the present Formed in 1949, this association's collection comprises 15 cubic feet of minutes, conference proceedings, newsletters and journals, membership directories, committee files, and publications.
The Ohio College Personnel Association donated their archives to the Center for Archival Collections on January 29, 1988, to be part of the National Student Affairs Archives. Additional donations of records occur annually and the collection now stands at ten cubic feet of material, dating from its establishment in 1975 to the present. The collection is comprised of board minutes and files, bylaws and policies, membership records, awards, committee files, conference programs and files, publications and photographs. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and copying is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by Ann Bowers, National Student Affairs Archivist, in June 2005.
At the Spring 1975 meeting of the Ohio Student Personnel Association (OSPA), Bob Rodgers and Gerald Saddlemire presented the idea of organizing a chartered state association of the American College Personnel Association (ACPA). By March 1976, the first general meeting of the Ohio College Personnel Association (OCPA) was held and by April it received its charter from ACPA. The OCPA newsletter began publication in November 1976 and the first annual spring conference was held in March 1977 at Kenyon College. In the fall of 1979, OCPA offered its first New Professional Conference. By the mid-1980s, membership stood well over 500, and the Campus Liaison Program had grown to sixty-two campus liaisons appointed to serve as local representatives to college and universities, assisting in areas of membership recruitment and program development. In 1983, OCPA won its first ACPA Outstanding State Division Award.
By 1990, membership stood at 870 and OCPA continued to be the largest state division within ACPA. Also in 1990, the first (and only) issue of Connections , a journal for student affairs new professionals and graduate students was published by OCPA. In the spring of 1992, the first seminar for clerical, secretarial and administrative support staff for college and university Student Affairs offices was sponsored by OCPA and was considered highly successful. The Support Staff Conference continues to be held on an annual basis. In 1998-1999, OCPA began another journal, Ohio College Student Development Journal, and published two issues.
Several awards have been established by OCPA including the Phillip A. Tripp Distinguished Service Award, Mark Noffsinger New Professional Award, President's Service Award, Gerald L. Saddlemire Mentor Award, Graduate Student of the Year Award, Innovative Program Award, Undergraduate Student of the Year Award, Cultural Diversity Award, Robert A. Dubick Case Study Award, and Fayetta Paulsen Accomplished Leader Award. OCPA celebrated its 25th anniversary at the Fall Conference in 2001. Starting in 2003, OCPA with the Ohio Association of Student Personnel Administrators (OASPA) has offered a joint conference in January. OCPA continues to be one of the strongest of the ACPA state divisions, receiving over the years the Outstanding State Division award as well as awards for membership recruitment and retention.
For more information about OCPA, please refer to the file on its history located in the collection as well as its website: www.ocpaonline.org
1975-1988 This association's collection comprises one cubic foot of board of directors minutes, handbooks, and publications.
1950 to the present This association's collection comprises 90 cubic feet of assembly and executive board proceedings, extensive publications including journals and newsletters, state and regional association files, conference files, committee…
The National Association of College and University Residence Halls, Inc. collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in May 1988. The collection consists of twenty linear feet of minutes, correspondence, committee and subject files, conference files, publications, honorary records, and regional records, dating from 1958 to 2011.
The National Association of College and University Residence Halls, Inc. (NACURH, Inc.) was formed in 1954, at the Midwest Dormitory Conference held at Iowa State University. First named the Association of College and University Residence Halls (ACURH), by 1961, it took on its current name and created two regional organizations within the national. In 1971, it incorporated in the State of Oklahoma and officially became NACURH, Inc. By 1997, NACURH, Inc. included eight regions and had organized into a tax-exempt corporation, allowing for investment of contingency funds to increase long-term financial stability. NACURH, Inc. is considered to be the largest student run organization in the world. It brings together over 400 schools from the United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and Qatar. It supports National Residence Hall Honorary chapters at member schools and holds an annual conference. All officers, both national and regional, are students and the positions are filled through a bid process. NACURH, Inc. promotes living on campus as an integral part of the college experience, and strives to provide resources to help member schools create excellent residence hall experiences for their students.
For more information about NACURH, Inc., please visit their website at: http://www.nacurh.org
The Association for Student Conduct Administration donated their archives to the Center for Archival Collections in March 1993 to be part of the National Student Affairs Archives. Additional donations of records occur annually and the collection now stands at twenty cubic feet of material, dating from its establishment in 1987 to the present. The collection is comprised of board minutes and agenda items, officer correspondence, financial reports and budgets, membership handbooks, committee files, conference and institute planning files and programs, publications, photographs and videos. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and copying is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by Ann Bowers, National Student Affairs Archivist, in October 2005.
In January 1987, Don Gehring organized a meeting of attendees at the Stetson University Law and Higher Education conference interested in establishing a professional organization to serve the needs of campus judicial officers. A steering committee was formed to develop a constitution and begin organizing such an association. By 1988, the first formal meeting was held, officers elected, and the name, Association for Student Judicial Affairs, approved. By 1989, the first annual conference was held in Clearwater Beach, Florida. Due to the growth of the organization, in 1991, the Board of Directors established a central office at Texas A&M University. In 1993, the first summer Campus Judicial Affairs Training Institute was held at Bowling Green State University and in 1994, it was named for Don Gehring. ASJA officially changed its name to the Association for Student Conduct Administration in 2009. The ASCA now includes a membership of over 1200 members in the United States and Canada and draws about 600 participants at its annual conferences.
The United States Student Association (USSA) Collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in 1993, with a second addition acquired in 2005, to be part of the National Student Affairs Archives. The Collection is comprised of the papers of Dr. Dennis Trueblood who was on the National Advisory Board/Council during the formative years of the USSA. The Collection consists of meeting (Congress) files, chronological and subject files, and publications. The papers date from 1946 to 1966. These papers were donated with the assistance of Dr. Jack Graham, Professor Emeritus of Educational Administration and Higher Education at Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. Dr. Trueblood headed the College Student Personnel Program at Southern Illinois and also served as president of the American College Personnel Association. No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid prepared by Ann Bowers, National Student Affairs Archivist, in October 2005.
The following history of the USSA is excerpted from A Brief History of NSA and USSA, written by Angus Johnston, USSA National Corporate Secretary, 1990-1992, and available on the USSA web site: http://www.usstudents.org.
In 1946 students from the United States and 37 other countries met in Prague to launch the International Union of Students. Upon their return, the American students called for a new national student organization. Hundreds of students attended a planning meeting in Chicago that December and a Constitution Convention was held the following year, officially establishing the United States National Student Association (NSA). In its first years of operation, it drafted a Student Bill of Rights and worked to strengthen student government and expand access to higher education.
From the beginning NSA members debated whether it should be a non-partisan organization or whether it had the responsibility to enter the political arena. Its original non-partisan stance was for all practical purposes eliminated when the NSA went on record in opposition to educational segregation. In 1951, NSA condemned "McCarthyism" but not McCarthy, and in 1953, it condemned South African apartheid but only in higher education. This "middling" road resulted in criticism from the conservatives which accused NSA of being a communist front and from the Communist Party for being too right-wing.
The 1950s also brought serious financial difficulties. These difficulties were eliminated when the CIA approached the leaders with a secret offer of large-scale funding which was accepted. For the next fifteen years, a small group of officers and staff worked closely with the CIA while others in NSA leadership positions were kept in the dark.
NSA officers and staff used their position to gather information on student leaders abroad for the agency and some alumni worked to ensure that NSA took "correct" positions on controversial questions. Most of the students were motivated by a sincere belief in the rightness of the government's cause. Self-interest also was a motivation as several received draft deferments and other help from the government.
By the late 1950s and 1960s, the NSA became involved in civil rights, opening up a civil rights office in Atlanta and developing ties with the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. NSA also joined with the Students for a Democratic Society in antiwar protests. In 1967, a former staffer, Michael Wood, told a reporter from Ramparts magazine about the CIA connections. The Ramparts article exposed the CIA links with several organizations and brought the NSA almost to the point of dissolving. Instead it re-emerged as a radical group endorsing the Black power movement struggle and initiating a task force working to deny Lyndon Johnson re-nomination for President in 1968, instead replacing him with a candidate committed to ending the war in Vietman.
By 1974, NSA, criticized by other student organizations for not also advocating for higher education issues, created a separate foundation to carry out non-political work. This allowed the NSA and the National Student Lobby to merge in 1978 under the new name, United States Student Association. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, the USSA located new funding sources, provided organized assistance to state student associations and in 1985, co-sponsored the first Grass Roots Organizing Weekend for campus leaders. The USSA advocated multicultural leadership when in 1989 the Congress mandated that people of color fill half the seats on the Board of Directors. In succeeding years, similar amendments ensured the representation for women, lesbians, gays and bisexuals on the Board.
USSA is the oldest and largest student group in the country and is reflective of what has occurred since WWII with the American student movement. Its current vision statement includes the following statements:
The Wilma Minton Papers were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in May 1994. The one box collection consists of Wilma Minton's writings, records documenting her involvement with professional associations and subject files on various student issues. The papers date from 1962 to 1994. No restrictions exist on the use of these papers and duplication is permitted for research purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid prepared by W. Alex Smith, archives assistant, in June 2006.
Wilma Minton was born in Independence, Kansas. She received her Masters in Guidance and Counseling from Kansas State College of Pittsburg (now Pittsburg State University) in 1965. She was appointed the Assistant Dean of Women (a newly-created position) at Kansas State College that same year. The next year, a lecturer position opened in Psychology and Minton took that position and also served as a counselor in the Counseling Center. Three years later, she was appointed to the position of Dean of Women. She was in charge of all women's residence halls, women's organizations, women student discipline, the university student handbook and the study skills programs. In addition, she taught courses in Psychology and Women's History. Minton also became an active member of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, the Kansas Association of Student Personnel Administrators, as well as the Kansas Association of Women Deans and Counselors. In 1973, she was named Director of Student Services and placed in charge of Admissions, Financial Aid, Housing, the Student Union and Student Health. Later Career Placement and Counseling, International Programs and the Campus Police and Parking services were added to her list of responsibilities. Her career came to an end in the spring of 1994 as she retired from her final position as Vice President for Student Affairs after thirty years at Pittsburg State University. For more information on her career, please see her work, "Reflections On A Career In Student Affairs," located in the first folder of the collection.
The Susan R. Komives Papers were donated to the National Student Affairs Archives, Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, by Dr. Komives, on November 26, 2012. The collection consists of twelve linear feet of publications, presentations, subject files, correspondence, awards, and audio-visual materials, dating from 1966-2013. The donation also included five linear feet of publications, journals, and reports which have been added to existing collections within the National Student Affairs Archives.
Dr. Susan Komives received her undergraduate and master’s degree from Florida State University. She completed her doctoral degree in Educational Administration and Supervision in 1973, from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and also was employed in the area of Residence Halls. She continued in her professional career serving as Associate Dean of Students at Denison University in Ohio, from 1973 to 1978; Vice President and Dean of Student Life at Stephens College in Missouri, from 1978 to 1985; and Vice President for Student Development at the University of Tampa, Florida, from 1985 to 1987. In 1987, Dr. Komives was hired as a faculty member in the Department of Counseling and Personnel Services at the University of Maryland, College Park. She retired in 2012, as Professor in the Counseling, Higher Education, and Special Education Department, and chair of the College Student Personnel Program.
Dr. Komives has held leadership positions in several professional associations, including President of the American College Personnel Association (1982-1983), President of the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education, (2008-2011), Member of the Board of Directors of the International Leadership Association (2009-2012), and Faculty Fellow for the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (2010-2013). She also served on many task forces and committees for these professional associations.
Dr. Komives’ contributions to the profession as a teacher, leader, speaker, and writer are too numerous to list in detail in this biographical sketch. Please refer to her curriculum vitae located in the biographical subject file, as well as the award nomination letters located in the awards subject files for a description of her publications, presentations, professional services, and the many students she mentored. Her impact on and within the profession has been felt deeply both on a national and international basis. As one nominee stated in her letter for the ACPA Lifetime Achievement Award, “Susan has an uncanny ability to generate passion and commitment in those around her. The number of leadership scholars that she has mentored is a testament to her influence. Her devotion to the field, and her wisdom and expertise, allow her to facilitate learning environments unlike any I have experienced in my prior twenty years of education.”
The Council of Student Personnel Administrators collection was donated in August 1997, with the assistance of Michael Wood. The collection includes founding documents, correspondence, meeting minutes from the organization and its committees, publications dating from the late 1960s through the early 1980s, meeting minutes, and individual organization files. The collection is open to researchers and duplication is permitted for research and conservation purposes.
Founded in 1958, COSPA reflects the desire at the time to form a federation of professional associations in student affairs and higher education. Some 14 national professional groups participated in COSPA during its heyday in the 1960s, addressing common concerns via commissions and task forces aimed at accreditation, professional development, school-college articulation, student issues, financial aid, ethics, placement, and legal questions. During the financial crunch of the 1970s, merger discussions between NASPA, ACPA, and NAWDAC led to NASPA’s withdrawal from COSPA and the collapse of COSPA. The Commission of Professional Development continued meeting until 1974 when their publications were absorbed by the ACPA.
The Melvene Draheim Hardee Papers were donated over a period of several months in 1993, by Dr. Hardee. The collection consists of correspondence, both personal and professional; publications, unpublished writing, subject and research files written or compiled by Dr. Hardee; and, news articles about her and honors received. The papers date from 1931 to 1994. No restrictions exist on the use of these papers and duplication is permitted for research purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid prepared by Ann Bowers, National Student Affairs Archivist, in December 2005.
Melvene Draheim Hardee was raised in Clarion, Iowa and received her undergraduate degree from Iowa State Teachers College. She then continued her education, receiving a masters degree from Columbia University and a doctorate from the University of Chicago. She was an instructor and head of the Communications Laboratory at Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri until she was hired in 1948 by Florida State University as the first coordinator of counseling. Also in 1948, she married Thomas Hardee, meeting him earlier in the summer while a visiting professor at the University of Mississippi.
In 1959, she was one of the founding members of the Department of Higher Education at Florida State University and she continued to teach in this department until her retirement in 1989. In 1977, while still teaching at Florida State University she also was appointed as the first director of the Center for Studies of Women in Educational Management Systems. This Center was renamed the Melvene Draheim Hardee Center for Women in Higher Education in 1992, honoring her leadership and support. In 1980, she was appointed as the first director of the Institute for Studies in Higher Education at FSU.
Most important to Dr. Hardee was the mentoring of graduate students. She served as a major advisor and dissertation director for 120 doctoral students and supervised the work of more than 100 master students. Several of her students received national and regional awards for their dissertations
She authored several books and many articles in the areas of academic advising, history of higher education, the American college student, international students and women administrators. She also was very active in professional associations, serving as President of the American College Personnel Association (ACPA), president of the Southern College Personnel Association and active on the regional and national levels in the National Association for Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA). In 1964, she was presented with the ACPA Award for Distinguished Service. In 1979, she was the recipient of NASPA’s Award for Outstanding Contribution to American Higher Education and in 1988, she received the Robert H. Shaffer Award for Academic Excellence. NASPA’s Dissertation of the Year Award was named the Melvene D. Hardee Dissertation of the Year Award in 1986.
Although research, writing, teaching and professional involvement took most of her time, she still returned on weekends to the 877-acre farm purchased by her and her husband in Valdosta, Georgia. Although her husband died very unexpectedly in 1962, she continued to manage the farm. She increased it in size from the original 90-acre farm, planted over 450 acres in pine trees with the help of the U.S. Soil Conservation Service, and created ponds and wildlife sanctuaries.
Dr. Hardee died in December 1994.