Skip to main content

Browse Items (59 total)

  • Tags: Miscellaneous
  • Collection: Center for Archival Collections
Sort by:

MS 1001 - Ohio Child Conservation League Gamma Chapter

The records of the Gamma Chapter (local) Ohio Child Conservation League (OCCL) date from 1953 to 1965. The history of this charitable and social organization is reflected in minutes, financial records, correspondence, newspaper clippings, handbooks, pamphlets, newsletters, and programs.

The records were donated on December 30, 2004 to Bowling Green State University Library by Joanne C. Baker, Bowling Green, Ohio. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The register was prepared by Marianne Ellen Hessel, a student in Hist. 6560 (Archives Administration) at Bowling Green State University, in May 2011.


MS 1013 - Nicholas Vass Diaries

The Nicholas Vass Diaries are a collection of 33 stenographic notepads on which diary entries were written between 1961 and 1971 by a patient in the long-term care facility of the Maumee Valley Hospital.

The collection was acquired by the Center of Archival Collections through a gift from Frances Adams of Bowling Green, Ohio in December 2004. She had been his caregiver during the period of his illness and is mentioned in many of the journal entries. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The collection was processed by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in January 2005.


MS 1086 - Cla-Zel Theatre Project

The records for the Cla-Zel Theatre Project were donated for the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University in December of 2007 by Paul Yon.

The records for this project include many financial documents, projects, correspondence letters including both letters and e-mails, and other historical documents relating to the project and the history of the Cla-Zel Theatre.

Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation. Collection is open to the public and was processed in February of 2008, by Ryan Mizak.


MS 1116 - Young-Furst Collection

The Young-Furst collection consists of photographs relating to Eban Claude Young dating from 1916 through 1924. The collection also contains photographs relating to the World War I service of Sylvester A. Furst. Certificates and materials relating to Sylvester Furst’s tenure as an engineer of Great Lakes shipping vessels are also included, including Great Lakes Red Books for years 1942 and 1962.
The collection was donated by Delight Heckelman on March 21, 2009. No restrictions exist on the use of the collection. Duplication is permitted for the purpose of preservation and research. The collection was processed and registered prepared by Ruth Ann Petroff April 13, 2009.


MS 1139 - Wheeled Meals, Inc. (Bowling Green, Ohio)

The Wheeled Meals collection spans the period 1969-2010. Wheeled Meals is an all volunteer, non-profit organization whose mission is to offer a community service of home delivered meals to the disabled, aged and ill who are not able to provide, obtain or prepare their own nourishing foods or who are unable to understand fully and prepare a modified diet.

The organization is located at 950 West Wooster Street, Bowling Green Ohio. The collection was transferred to the Center for Archival Collections in April 2010 with the cooperation of the organization’s chairperson, Robert Guion. The register was prepared in July 2010 by Puja Batra-Wells, graduate student intern, Department of Popular Culture, Bowling Green State University.


MS 1143 f - Ottawa County, Ohio Map Collection

The Ottawa County Map Collection consists of more than 90 hand-drawn maps originally deposited with the Ottawa County Auditor’s Office and transferred to Bowling Green State University in the mid-1970s as part of the local government records program. Initially integrated into the general county map collection and assigned numbers according to that referencing sequence, these maps were later separated, given conservation treatment, encapsulated, and now form a separate collection.

The finding aid to this collection was by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in June 2010.


MS 1144 - Shriners International Zenobia Temple

The Shriners International: Zenobia Temple (Toledo, Ohio) collection consists of mostly of printed material, photographs, and scrapbook material related to the organization. The material in this collection dates from 1899 to 1971 and documents some of the events of this society in the Toledo, Ohio area. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on March 12, 2010 by Briant Hamor Lee, Ph. D.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by undergraduate student assistant Emily Schoenlein in May 2013, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts.


MS 1157 - Wood County Hospital Guild

The records of the Wood County Hospital Guild were donated to the Center for Archival Collections beginning in 1982 through the cooperation of various Guild Officers including Lolita Guthrie and Laurie Newlove, with an instrument of gift signed in September 2011. The collection chronicles events, programs, meetings, and correspondence of the organization from 1953-2010, including various pamphlets, meeting minutes, news clippings, photos, volunteer schedules, and work guides.

Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The collection was partially processed by BGSU student John Bentley, and Stephen Sonnenberg, with additions and revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, who compiled the consolidated register in 2011.


MS 1166 - Historical Records Survey (Ohio): Municipal/County Archives Inventories for Northwest Ohio

The files of the Ohio Historical Records Survey, Municipal/County Archives Inventory (Northwest Ohio), covers the period of the late 1930's. The collection consists of approximately 10 linear feet of completed forms, handwritten inventories, and historical sketches, culled from both municipal and county sources.

The records were transferred to the Center for Archival Collections from the Ohio Historical Society with the cooperation of Victor Wagher, Local Government Records Specialist, with an addition in 2011 from general collection sources from Erie, Lucas, and Wood Counties. There are no restrictions on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The collection was processed and revised by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, in January 1993, with the addition in 2011.


MS 1177 - OhiOntario International Friendship Games Collection

The OhiOntario International Friendship Games Collection consists mostly of meeting minutes, correspondence, officer and planning information, financial documents and pictures related to various OhiOntario International Friendship Games. Also included are a variety of artifacts such as t-shirts, medals and other souvenirs. The material in this collection dates from 1994 to 2001 and documents the organization and proceedings of the OhiOntario International Friendship Games held in Bowling Green, Ohio and St. Thomas, Ontario. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on July 11, 2012 by Dolores Black, officer for the OhiOntario International Friendship Games.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by undergraduate student assistant Emily Schoenlein in July 2012, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts.


MS 1185 - Knights of Pythias

The Knights of Pythias Collection consists of mostly member information and material related to membership history of the organization. The material in this collection dates from 1888 to 1981 and documents primarily the members of the organization in Northwest Ohio over the years. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on May 22, 2013 by Matthew Arnold.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by undergraduate student assistant Emily Schoenlein in June 2013, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts.


MS 140 mf - Bowling Green Country Club

The Bowling Green Country Club Records were transferred from the Bowling Green Country Club to the Center for Archival Collections for microfilming in 1979. The collection consists of Minutes of the Board of Trustees meetings of the Bowling Green Country Club from January 10, 1955-December, 1979. These records also include correspondence, financial reports, and club regulations. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public, and duplication is permitted for the purposes of research and preservation.


MS 141 mf - Middle Bass Club (Middle Bass Island, Lake Erie)

The records and scrapbook of the Middle Bass Club were transferred from Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Morton, Strongsville, Ohio, to the Center for Archival Collections for microfilming. The collection consists of ledgers (1891-1898, 1903-1911), Club records (1904), guest lists (1899-1912), scrapbook (1874-1977), and information about the Toledo and Lake Erie Boating and Fishing Association (scattered dates, 1892-1910). Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public, and duplication is permitted for the purposes of research and preservation.


MS 155 mf - Taylor Funeral Home (Oakwood, Ohio)

The records of the Taylor Funeral Home, Oakwood, Ohio were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio with the cooperation of Bertie Taylor, Oakwood, Ohio in November 1996.

The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The camera negative is the property of the Center for Archival Collections. The register was prepared by Jason Wesco in December 1996. No restrictions apply to the use of this collection.


MS 171 mf - Joseph C. Bowsher Papers

The Joseph C. Bowsher Papers: History of the Lima Police Department (MS-171) were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections with the cooperation of Joseph C. Bowsher, Lima, Ohio, in April 1997.

The Joseph C. Bowsher Papers consist of a publication of the history of the Lima Police Department and the support documents used in its writing. Lima, Ohio Police Department: A Century of Service, was published by Joseph C. Bowsher, a now retired Lima police officer, in 1994.

Included in the collection is a copy of the 1909 history of the Lima Police Department, annual police reports, yearbooks, award ceremony materials and various other printed materials. Furthermore, the police reports of several notable crimes in the history of the city of Lima are included. Numerous photographs and photocopies of newspaper articles used in researching the book appear.

This register was prepared by Susan Hughes in May 1997. The author has retained copyright to Lima, Ohio Police Department: A Century of Service (1994). No other restrictions apply to the use of this collection.


MS 174 - Young Men's Christian Association (Toledo, Ohio)

The Toledo YMCA Collection contains 46 linear feet of materials dating from the establishment of the association in Toledo in 1865, until 1977. Included are minutes, correspondence, printed materials, financial documents, legal documents, reports, photographs, speeches, scrapbooks, maps, and blueprints. These records are indicative of functions, organizations, policies, procedures, programs and activities within the association. They also reflect its relationships with members, civic leaders, religious groups, community organizations, businesses, and unions. The Central, Indiana Avenue, Railroad, West, South, East and Toledo University branches are represented throughout the collection, as well as Camp Storer. Information on the Bowman Park Family YMCA pool is also included.

The Collection contains confidential materials in the form of personnel files, therefore the Center for Archival Collection's policy on confidential materials must be followed in order to obtain access to these files.

The Collection was transferred to the Center for Archival Collections in July 1972 and additions have been made periodically. This register was prepared in February 1988 by Susan M. Hughes.



MS 245 - American Lung Association (Toledo, Ohio)

The American Lung Association collection documents from 1920 to 1979 the progress of local health association campaigns against tuberculosis and respiratory diseases. Through the sale of Christmas seals, sponsoring of chest x-rays, and supporting public health education programs, these groups hoped to prevent the future spread of such diseases and promote good health. The health activities of Toledo and six northwestern Ohio counties (Lucas, Defiance, Fulton, Henry, Williams, and Wood) are detailed in organizational minutes, correspondence, subject files, financial records and scrapbooks which provide additional information concerning the relationship between local, state, and national tuberculosis and respiratory disease associations.

The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in May 1982 by Dr. John Ray, executive director of the then-named Northwestern Ohio Lung Association, with an addition from Emmy Hann of materials belonging to Dr. William Hann in April 2010. No restrictions have been placed on the research use of this collection. The register was prepared by F. N. Honneffer in December 1982, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in May 2010.


MS 264 - Committee for Services to Youth, Inc. (Bowling Green, Ohio)

The records of the Committee for Services to Youth, Inc. were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in October 1982, through the cooperation of R. Anthony Marcson and the Children’s Resource Center.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research.   The register was compiled by BGSU student Ryan Duffy in April 2013 and revised by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in October 2013.


MS 275 - Findlay Garden Club Collection

The records of the Findlay Garden Club of Findlay, Ohio (1934-1982) were donated to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, on November 30, 1982. The collection was transferred by Ann Bowers, Curator of Manuscripts, Center for Archival Collections, with the cooperation of the Findlay Garden Club, Mrs. Walter Light, President.

The records of this organization consist of minutes, attendance and guest books, and scrapbooks. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. The collection was processed and the register written by Lee N. McLaird, Curator of Rare Books and Special Collections in January 2007.


MS 297 - Men's Literary Club (Sandusky, Ohio)

The records of the Men's Literary Club span the years 1899-1954. The collection contains fairly complete minutes (1899-1944), Club calendars (1903-1954), and membership recods (1899-1946). Also included in the collection are guest speaker lists, memorial tributes and two of the members' papers.

The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by the Sandusky Public Library in February 1983. No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection. The collection was processed and finding aid prepared by Susan Hagemeyer in February 1984.


MS 306 - R. Serge Denisoff Collection

The R. Serge Denisoff Collection contains 15 cubic feet of literary manuscripts and research files dating from approximately 1960-1990. The collection documents several of Denisoff's numerous book projects while the remainder is comprised of research papers by other authors on sociological, musical and popular culture topics. The collection was transferred to the Center for Archival Collections (CAC) from the Popular Culture Library on March 19, 1987.

No restrictions have been placed upon the use of this collection for scholarly research purposes. The finding aid was completed by Eric Honneffer in May 2006.


MS 323 - Northwest Ohio Volunteer Firemen Association Collection

The records of the Northwest Ohio Volunteer Firemen's Association is an active collection of the records and publications of a regional support organization for members of the fire-fighting profession in Northwest Ohio.

Donation of material to the Center for Archival Collections first began in September 1983 through the cooperation of Walter F. Miller, Robert L. Marihugh, Robert Warnimont, Myrl Meller, Sam Bohm and others, with continuing additions over the years. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The collection was processed and register prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in April 2005. Future additions will be similarly added to the collection and the finding aid adjusted accordingly.


MS 344 - Sister Miriam Joseph Rauh

The Sister Miriam Joseph Rauh collection was originally developed and donated by Ettie Rieman of the Ottawa Historical Society in Ottawa, Ohio as part of a project on Women of Putnam County. With the help of Marguerite Calvin, a writer for the Putnam County Sentinel and Sister Assunta, a friend of Joseph’s, Rieman collected the archival materials that form this collection.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by graduate student Courtney J. Wright in April 2013, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, in October 2013.


MS 350 - Evelyn Steidtmann Collection

The Evelyn Steidtmann Collection is essentially a 1.5 cubic foot archives (1944-1994) documenting over fifty years of contract bridge playing in Bowling Green, Ohio. Known to many by the nickname "Mrs. Bridge", Evelyn Steidtmann was a tireless player and proponent of the game. Beginning in the early 1940's she taught bridge classes at the Bowling Green Women's Club. She then began teaching bridge at Bowling Green State University (BGSU). With her guidance the BGSU Campus Bridge Club (called the Campus Bridge Club in this collection) was formed in 1950 and remained active until 1984. The Bowling Green Bridge Club began in 1967 and continues to the present, as a result of Mrs. Steidtmann's involvement. Correspondence, class and membership rosters, programs, bridge instructional materials, newsclipping and photographs may be found in this collection. Also included are documents relating to Evelyn Steidtmann's participation in the BGSU World Student Association which she and her husband helped establish in 1949 to provide social activities and programs for foreign students visiting or attending BGSU.

The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by Mrs. Steidtmann in the late 1980's. No restrictions have been placed on its use for research purposes. The finding aid was prepared by Eric Honneffer in March 2005.