Skip to main content

Browse Items (84 total)

  • Tags: Historical Collections of the Great Lakes
  • Collection: Center for Archival Collections
Sort by:

GLMMS 1880 - George Kelley Diary

The diary of George A. Kelley is a handwritten journal owned by an early settler of Kelley's Island, Ohio. The diary begins on January 1, 1880 and continues through December 31, 1880.

The diary was donated with the John H. Gilbert collection to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes by Kenneth Dickson of Toledo, Ohio on November 23, 1999. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by Pamela L. Bayer, Graduate Assistant in February 2008.


GLMS 1 - Chicago Shipbuilding Company

The papers of the Chicago Shipbuilding Company, Chicago, Illinois, were obtained in the winter of 1967/1968 by Richard J. Wright. They became part of the Richard J. Wright Marine Collection at Bowling Green State University, and are now part of the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes.

The records of the Chicago Shipbuilding Company occupy nearly thirteen linear feet. The bulk of the records, which fall between the years 1900 and 1950, document typical activities of the company including physical expansion, financial records, World War I shipbuilding and official, legal and labor correspondence. No restrictions have been placed on the use of these materials. The register was completed by Linda Jasperse, graduate student in the History Department, Bowling Green State University.


GLMS 10 - Jesse Wells Church Collection

The Church Collection was donated to the Institute by Henry N. Barkhausen on October 5, 1984. The Instrument of Gift was signed at the time of transfer.

Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted. Final processing was completed in November 1991 by Mark J Barnes.


GLMS 100 - Inland Steel Company Collection

This 3.5 cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes by Daniel J. Cornillie of the Inland Steel Company on August 1, 1991. Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for the purposes of conservation and research.


GLMS 101 - Kenneth R. Hall Collection

This two cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes by Kenneth R. Hall on August 15, 1992. An instrument of gift was signed at the time of transfer. Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of conservation and research.


GLMS 103 - Albert A. Bartlett Collection

The Albert A. Bartlett collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes on November 24, 1992. This 1.5 cubic foot collection contains photographs, audiotapes, and printed items regarding Albert A. Bartlett's employment on the Great Lakes iron ore freighters PONTIAC and PETER WHITE in 1941 and 1942.

Literary rights to this collection have been dedicated to the public. Photocopying for research and conservation purposes is permitted.

Processing for this collection was completed in October 1994 by Mark J. Barnes.


GLMS 104 - Navigational Charts Collection

The collection of navigational charts has been acquired over many years, primarily from the Jerome Library at Bowling Green State University.

Literary and property rights are dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purpose of preservation and research. Preparation of a guide to this collection was completed in June 1993 by Mark J. Barnes, Teri Branham, and Stacey Brinker.


GLMS 107 - National Weather Service (Toledo, Ohio)

The 30 cubic feet of records from the National Weather Service office in Toledo, OH were donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes by Charles A. Spicer of the National Weather Service Office in Cleveland, OH on May 9, 1996. These files date from 1870 to 1994.

No access restrictions have been placed on these files. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of conservation and research. This collection was processed in April 1997 by Mark J. Barnes.


GLMS 108 - John H. Gilbert Collection

The collection documents various business activities of John H. Gilbert, specifically his operation of two vessels, the TOURIST and the SCHNODEN. The materials in this one foot collection date from 1875 - 1952.

The John H. Gilbert collection was donated with George Kelley's diary to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes by Kenneth Dickson of Toledo, Ohio on November 23, 1999. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by Pamela L. Bayer, Graduate Assistant in February 2008.


GLMS 109 - Anthony Bocconcelli Collection/FitzSimons & Connell Dredge & Dock Co.

This collection, consisting of 6 cubic feet of photographic material, was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes on September 21, 2009 by Mr. Richard Adams of Chicago, IL. Mr. Adams received the material as a gift from Anthony Bocconcelli of Chicago. The Anthony Bocconcelli Collection provides photographic documentation of many of the projects of the FitzSimons & Connell Dredge & Dock Co. The collection includes photographic material as well as a minimal amount of motion picture film, transferred to DVD. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Duplication is permitted for purposes of conservation and scholarly research. The collection was processed with the assistance of Jonathan Filler, Jessica Schmidt, and Rex Childers.


GLMS 11 - Great Lakes Waterways Development Association

This one-half cubic foot collection was donated by the Great Lakes Waterways Development Association to Bowling Green State University. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for the purposes of research and conservation.


GLMS 12 - Tanker M/V Polaris

This one cubic foot collection of records regarding the POLARIS (US 257935) was donated to Bowling Green State University on August 16, 1977 by Robert Weiner of Triad Salvage, Inc., of Ashtabula, Ohio. Literary and property rights are dedicated to the public and photocopying is permitted for conservation and research purposes.


GLMS 13 - Steamer PAUL L. TIETJEN Collection

This three cubic foot collection was donated to Bowling Green State University on September 30, 1978 by Robert Weiner of Triad Salvage, Inc., in Ashtabula, Ohio. Literary and property rights are dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of research and conservation.


GLMS 14 - G. A. Tomlinson Collection

This 1.25 cubic foot collection was donated to Bowling Green State University on March 27, 1980 by Robert Weiner of Triad Salvage, Inc., in Ashtabula, Ohio. Literary and property rights are dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for the purposes of research and conservation.


GLMS 15 - John E. Poole Collection

The John E. Poole Collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes by the Marine Historical Society of Detroit on February 6, 1989. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of preservation and scholarly research. Final processing was completed in March 1992 by Mark J. Barnes to put the collection in its current form of 24.5 cubic feet.


GLMS 16 - Arthur C. Frederickson Collection

The materials in this eleven cubic foot collection date from 1854-1969. Correspondence, log books, and research notes form the largest segments of the collection. Most photographic items were separated from the collection and placed in the main vessel and port files. The subjects of the material created and compiled by Captain Frederickson pertain to Great Lakes fleets and vessels.

Lucy Frederickson Bower donated the collection to Bowling Green State University in November 1969. In 1983, the collection was transferred to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes.

There are no restrictions on collections use other than copyright for manuscripts of Frederickson publications. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of conservation and research.

The collection was originally processed by Jamie L. Stahl in March 1981. Additional material was acquired in July 1995 and reprocessing was conducted in April 1996 by Mark J. Barnes.


GLMS 17 - Charles T. Harvey Papers

The Charles Thompson Harvey Papers consist principally of the personal correspondence between Charles Thompson Harvey (1829-1912), engineer-inventory, and his wife Sara Van Eps Harvey (1838-1916). He was responsible for both the construction of the St. Mary's Falls Ship Canal, connecting Lake Superior and Lake Huron (1853-1855) and the first elevated railroad in New York city (1868).

This collection of correspondence, dating between 1858 and 1872 was loaned to the Center for Archival Collections in 1979 through the cooperative efforts of Dr. Richard Wright, Director, CAC, William Jeffrey Welsh, doctoral candidate, Bowling Green State University, and Harvey's grandchildren, Mr. William C. Johnson of Hiram, Ohio, and Ms. Charlotte Voorhis of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Ms. Voorhis has consented to the microfilming of these letters for the purposes of scholarly research. This collection was processed and the register completed by Rebecaa A. Harkema, Graduate Assistant, Department of History, Bowling Green State University.

Property, literary and duplication rights for the microfilm of the Charles Thompson Haravey Papers, in the custody of the Center for Archival Collections, have been dedicated to the public.


GLMS 18 - Portage and Lake Superior Canals Collection

The records from the Portage Lake and Lake Superior Canals were loaned to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, for microfilming by the Canal Park Museum, Duluth, Minnesota. The records (1891, 1898-1901, 1919-1929) contain information on vessel passages through the canals and the daily activities of canal personnel.

The records consisting of three volumes are located on one roll of microfilm. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection for research purposes.


GLMS 19 - Bay Port Fish Company

The papers and records of the Bay Port Fish Company and its subsidiaries, the Saginaw Bay Fish Company and the Lake Huron Fish Company provide sources of information concerning the fishing industry on the Great Lakes during the first half of the twentieth century. The collection is for particular value in documenting the activities and problems of commercial fishermen from the late depression years (from 1936) through the 1960's, including the decline of commercial fishing in Saginaw Bay, Michigan, and lake Huron in American waters. The collection includes correspondence, reports, legal documents, and financial records consisting of twenty-five linear feet of material. The entire collection spans the years 1894 to 1970, but the correspondence and financial records are complementary only for the years 1936 to 1967.

The Bay Port Fish Company papers were donated to the center for Archival Collections on 18 September 1980. The papers were received from the Bay Port Fish Company through the cooperative efforts of Forrest Williams, of the company and Dr. Richard Wright, Director of the CAC. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public, and duplication is permitted for presentation and scholarly research. The register was prepared by Walter Font, graduate assistant, during March 1981.


GLMS 2 - Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority

This collection contains the minutes, correspondence, reports, contracts, and other documents of the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority and its predecessor, the Toledo Port Commission. The latter body was founded in 1922 to encourage and prepare Toledo for the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The collection details the fight for the Seaway and the efforts of the various port governing bodies to develop the port of Toledo and turn it into a major port on the Great Lakes. The dates for the collection are 1895 to the present.

The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in 1970 by William C. Beckett, Manager of Statistics for the Port Authority. No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection.

This register was prepared by Robert Dunkelberger in February 1985.


GLMS 20 - Point Betsie Life Saving Station

The records of the Point Betsie Life Saving Station date from 1883 to 1919. The records were transferred from the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore by Dr. Richard J. Wright in the fall of 1980 for the purpose of microfilming. A microfilm edition is available for research purposes. The register was prepared by Les Warner, a senior history student, during May 1981.


GLMS 21 - Oliver Hazard Perry Collection

This collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in 1974 by Mrs. Frazier Reams, Sr. The collection is composed of copies of the official communications from the records of Captain Perry in the Department of the Navy from 1799-1819. The collection consists of correspondence, which also is on microfilm, and miscellaneous memorabilia mostly pertaining to the Battle of Lake Erie (September 1813).

Property and literary rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purpose of preservation and scholarly research. The register was completed by Kenneth Minkema in October 1981and updated by Jordan Wesler in February 2009.


GLMS 22 - Ohio & Western Pennsylvania Dock Company

The records of the Ohio and Western Pennsylvania Dock Company of Cleveland, Ohio date from 1882 to 1963. The collection consists of two and one-half linear feet of safety committee minutes, company improvement files, vessel lists, operation reports, labor agreements-grievances, operation expenses, and twenty-five volumes of ore shipping statements.

The records of the Ohio and Western Pennsylvania Dock Company were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in July 1981 by John W. Manning of the Hanna Mining Company, with the cooperation of Dr. Richard Wright, then Director of the Center for Archival Collections. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The register was prepared by Constance Schumacher, graduate student at Bowling Green State University in May 1983.


GLMS 23 - Government Weather Station #85: Alpena, Michigan

The journals of the Alpena, Michigan, Weather Station document the station's daily activities between 1872 and 1917.

The daily journals, which are in chronological order, record the weather conditions, such as storms, signals, aureole and lunar halo sightings, sunset predictions, and barometer readings. In addition to the weather, there is mention of visitors to the station and vessel movements. Charts on monthly storms, instrument checks, and comparative barometer readings also are included.

The periods preceding 1872, from 1883-1884, and after 1917, are lacking documentation in the Alpena collection.


GLMS 24 - Marine Board of Investigation: Sinking of the EDMUND FITZGERALD

This collection of five reels of microfilm was created in July 1978 when the original seven volumes of the report from the Marine Board of Investigation of the Sinking of the S/S EDMUND FITZGERALD were loaned to Bowling Green State University for microfilming. Captain James A. Wilson of the U. S. Coast Guard, and a member of the investigating board, arranged for the lending of the volumes. The original report was returned to the Coast Guard after microfilming. In 2014, the five reels of microfilm were digitized. PDFs of these files are available from the links listed below.

Literary and property rights are dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of research and conservation.