Browse Items (116 total)
- Collection: Center for Archival Collections
The Brigham Family Papers consist of roughly .5 linear ft. of Civil War era correspondence, and postwar papers, clippings and photographs, primarily relating to the family of Joseph H. Brigham and his career during the Civil War and with the Grange and U.S. Department of Agriculture.
The papers were donated and transferred to the Center for Archival Collections on March 31, 1998, through the cooperation of Betty Hughes Melton of Falls Church, Virginia, with contributions courtesy of Nancy Brigham Gibson (1931-1998) of Rancho Palos Verdes, California. There are no restrictions on the use of this collection. The register was prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in May 1998.
The Haner Family Papers consists of minor correspondence, land records, and two photographs related a family living in Wyandot County, Ohio.
The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections through the cooperation of Clara Dean Cartwright on August 31, 1998. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The collection was processed and register prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in November 2004.
The McKnight family papers consist mainly of correspondence within the McKnight family, the majority of whom resided in Bowling Green Ohio, between the years 1862 to 1955. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by Harriet Cunningham on March 23, 1999, with an addition in 2009 by Scott Cunningham and Cheryl Windisch.
No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. The collection was processed and register prepared by BGSU student Tim Monroe in June 2007, with revisions in 2009 by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts.
The Ely Family Papers, Fayette, Ohio were transferred to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, with the cooperation of Susan Hart, Sherwood, Ohio in June 1999. Mrs. Hart is the great-granddaughter of Karl Ely and great-great-granddaughter of Levi Ely.
This collection consists of the correspondence, dairies, manuscripts, certificates and photographs of Levi and Karl Ely. Levi Ely was born in Knox County, Ohio in 1835. As a boy, he moved to Williams County with his family. He taught school until enlisting in the Union Army in 1863, mustering out in July 1865. During the war, he was stationed at Johnson's Island. While six early diaries of Levi's are represented in this collection, any diaries from the Civil War years were missing at the time of filming. In 1866, he was ordained a minister in the Christian Union church and also served as mayor of Fayette. Some examples of his poetry are also found among the papers. Levi Ely died in 1913.
Karl Ely was one of three children of Levi and Sarah Jane (Earick) Ely. Karl was a musician and press agent for John F. Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin Company, a traveling theatrical troupe. Two of his datebooks and numerous clippings document his career with Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin. In later years, Karl Ely worked as a barber.
This register was prepared in August 1999 by Susan Hughes. No restrictions apply to the use of this collection.
The Schall Family Papers consist of .25 linear ft. of correspondence, genealogical and legal documents, and clippings.
The papers were donated and transferred to the Center for Archival Collections on October 9, 1999, through the cooperation of Nancy Schall of Defiance, Ohio; scans of additional letters were donated in 2014 by Christian Henke. There are no restrictions on the use of this collection. The register was prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, with the assistance of Stephen M. Charter, Reference Archivist, in November 1999, with revisions in 2014. Translations of some German documents were done by Michael J. Krapp, Graduate Student Archival Assistant.
The papers of the Benjamin Basil Jackson family, consists of .5 linear feet of material centered on the family of B.B. Jackson of Crane Township, Paulding County, Ohio and his children, particularly Martha C. Jackson. Spanning the years from 1861 to 1922, the collection consists of Civil War correspondence written to and from B.B. Jackson and his son Andrew C. Jackson from 1861 to 1865 as they served with Co. G, 14th Ohio Volunteer Infantry from family members and friends, postwar personal correspondence of Martha (Mattie) Jackson, as well as correspondence related to her husband George G. Banks and their children.
The loan for duplication and transfer of these records to the Center for Archival Collections was arranged through the cooperation of Joanne Overmyer, Bluffton, OH on October 18, 1999, with additional material provided on January 6, 2000 with the cooperation of Joanne Overmyer and Barbara Barker of Antwerp, Ohio. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The register was completed by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in June 2000.
The Ruth Kerns Matthews Papers consist of 1 linear feet of genealogical material centered on the related Kerns, Matthews, Altman, Knight, and allied families.
The material was donated to the Center for Archival Collections through the cooperation of Mary Ewing on behalf of the Fort Findlay Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, McComb,Ohio on July 25, 2000. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The register was completed by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in September 2000.
The Holcomb/Bair Family Papers is a collection of various documents from members of the Holcomb and Bair families. Personal correspondence and teaching/education files make up the bulk of this collection. The documents are from Addie, Lester, and Corrine Holcomb, and Winfield, Eva (née Armistead), Maurice, Ruth (née Holcomb), Eugene, Helen, and Carrol Bair. The donation of these documents was made by Carrol Bair Spitnale in 2002.
No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for research purposes. The collection was arranged and described by graduate student archival assistant Joan Eardly in November, 2013.
The Hefner Family Papers consist of 1.5 linear feet of family correspondence between various members of a Lima, Ohio area family during the period at the end of World War II and during the Korean War, primarily the letters from the mother, Zelma Hefner to her sons.
The Papers were purchased by the Center for Archival Collections from Charles Apfelbaum of Valley Stream, New York in June 2001. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The collection was processed and register prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in August 2001.
The Evelyn Barber Metcalf Brewster Papers were donated to the Center for Archival Collections on May 1, 1979. As per the Manuscript Deed of Gift Agreement, the donor will remain anonymous. Included in the collection are correspondence, genealogies, maps, books, pamphlets, ledgers, newspapers, broadsides, postcards, and photographs dating from 1827 to 1969. These records mainly document the lives of the Metcalf family members and various aspects of the history of Findlay, Ohio.
The collection consists of three and one-half linear feet of shelved material. All photographs, maps, newspapers, postcards, pamphlets, books, and broadsides have been removed from the collection and placed into their respective areas of the Center's main holdings. All literary rights have been granted to the public for the purpose of scholarly historical and personal research. Marcia Sommerfeld, Graduate Assistant, Department of History, processed the collection and drafted the register.
The Lena B. Rees and James L. Carter Family Papers were donated to the Center for Archival Collections by their grandchildren, through Jill Carter Knuth, on May 30, 2002, with additional material transferred on August 15, 2007, and September 5, 2013. The collection consists of 3 feet of personal papers, genealogical notes, correspondence, photographs, and printed material related to multiple generations of a family living in the Fostoria, Risingsun, and Bradner, Ohio areas.
The collection was processed and finding aid prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in August 2002, with revisions made in September 2013.
The Hollington Family papers date from 1874-1884. The collection consists of one-half linear foot of correspondence and a commemorative postcard.
The correspondence was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in May 2003 by Janet Knape. The material was found inside the walls of her home, located at 504 South Main Street, Bowling Green, Ohio, during renovations. All property, literary, and duplication rights of the Hollington Family Papers have been conveyed to the Center for Archival Collections and the public for historical research.
Transcripts of the letters were done in June 2003 by student assistant David Kuebeck. The register was prepared by Dana Nemeth, Library Associate I, in May 2007.
The Sarah V. Dicken Papers consist of original letters, photocopies, and transcripts of a series of Civil War era and late 19th century letters, primarily to and from Sarah Dicken, with some added genealogical information provided by the donor. The collection spans the pre-war and post-war period from 1854 through 1896.
The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by Leanna Jo Elder Shaberly of Phoenix, Arizona on May 24, 2004. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The transcripts were completed by student assistant David Kuebeck and the collection was processed and register prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in July 2004.