Skip to main content

Browse Items (116 total)

  • Tags: Family
  • Collection: Center for Archival Collections
Sort by:

MS 1134 - Julian & Janice Bulley Papers (Bulley Peace Archive)

The papers of the Julian and Janice Bulley Family consists of 6 linear ft. of minor correspondence, memo books, news clippings, subject files, and printed material related to family involvement in civil rights, social activist, and anti-war movements of the period of the late 1960s through the 1970s. The donation and transfer of these records to the Center for Archival Collections was arranged on December 3, 2009 through the cooperation of Joanne Bulley.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The register was compiled by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in February 2010.


MS 1158 - Geraldine Thomasson Papers

The Geraldine Thomasson Papers consists of genealogical research files, newspaper clippings, legal documents, and photographs relating to various branches of Geraldine Thomasson’s family. This collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by the Wood County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society on November 29, 2010.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The register was completed by undergraduate student assistant Emily Schoenlein in June 2012, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts.

Tags:

MS 1163 - Addison W. Lee Family Papers

The papers of the Addison W. Lee Family are comprised of approximately .25 linear feet of correspondence, clippings, printed and photographic material of a Deshler Ohio industrialist and banker.

The collection was donated by Jane Wilson on April 2, 2011 to the Center for Archival Collections at Bowling Green State University. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The register was completed by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, Bowling Green State University in September 2011.

Tags:

MS 1171 - Binau Family Collection

The Binau Family History Collection was transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio with the cooperation of Earl Chadwick and Brad Binau, Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, Ohio in the fall of 2011, with microfilming beginning in January 2012.

The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The register was prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in February 2012. No restrictions apply to the use of this collection.

Tags:

MS 1172 - Passet Family Collection

The Passet Family Papers were donated and transferred to the Center for Archival Collections on January 6, 2012, with the cooperation of Joanne Passet of Richmond, Indiana. The collection includes a variety of materials dating from 1887 – 2011. The majority of the collection is comprised of letters sent or received by Almeda (Harrison) Passet, a clerical worker at Fort Riley, Kansas during World War II who married and settled with her husband Norman Passet in Wharton, Ohio in the late 1940s. The materials within the collection are primarily related to the extended Harrison and Passet families and cover several generations of each. In addition to several folders of correspondence, the 2 and 3/4 lf collection includes printed material, news clippings, photographs, legal documents, and artifacts.

No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for research purposes. The collection was arranged and described by undergraduate student archival assistant Rebecca Denes in September, 2012.

Tags:

MS 1178 - Gaugler/Wise Family Collection

The Gaugler, Wise Family Collection of one linear foot is comprised of correspondence, legal documents, literary productions, printed materials, genealogical data, and photographs dating from 1839 to 1971. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in June 2012 by Linda Glaviano, granddaughter of John E. Wise and Ethel Gaugler Wise. The finding aid was prepared by Eric Honneffer December 6, 2013.

Tags:

MS 1187 - McCullough Genealogical Collection

The McCullough Genealogical Collection consists of genealogical research papers, letters, legal documents, printed materials, and photographs related to the McCullough family and its various branches. This collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by Elmer McCullough in March of 2013.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This registrar was completed by graduate student Matthew Kilmer in July 2013.

Tags:

MS 119 mf - Pioneer Families of Hancock County, Ohio

The Pioneer Families of Hancock County were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, with the cooperation of the Hancock County Genealogical Society and Margaret Latham in October of 1993. The collection consists of 90 membership applications with attached supporting documentation. Information in the documentation covers the period from the late 18th century to 1993. Preceding the applications are two indexes. The first index lists applications by the name of the pioneer family. The second index lists families by the name of the descendant applying for membership in Hancock County's Pioneer Families.

Tags:

MS 121 mf - McClish Family Daybook

The McClish Family Daybook, 1908-1922, was transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, with the cooperation of Pat Bauman in May of 1994.

Entries contained within the Daybook were made by three members of the McClish family: Clarinda (1867-1962), Bishop (1869-1946), and Beecher (1871-1959), who resided in Blanchard Township of Hancock County, Ohio. The Daybook's entries include listings of the deaths of community and family members.

Tags:

MS 128 mf - First Families of Wood County, Ohio

Any member of the Wood County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society is eligible for membership in First Families of Wood County, provided the member can prove that one or more direct ancestors lived in Wood County on or before December 31, 1855. An application fee of $15.00 must accompany each application. FFWC inductees each receive a certificate for framing and an enameled lapel pin.

Tags:

MS 129 mf - Spencer Family Collection

The Spencer Family Collection was found as a bundled set of papers encased inside a leather traveling case in a closet of the McComb School in Hancock County prior to the school's demolition. The collection was brought to the Center for Archival Collections for preservation microfilming in February of 1995. The original collection remains in the custody of the Putnam County Historical Society.

The collection consists of fourteen record series created during the lifetimes of Jabez Selden Spencer, his wife Sarah (Parker) Spencer and his son, Ralph G. Spencer. A biographical history taken from a 1984 reprint of the 1896 Portrait and Biographical Record of Allen and Putnam Counties follows this introduction.

The majority of papers within the collection were probably under the custodianship of Jabez Selden Spencer, a Justice of the Peace of Union Township, Putnam County from 1837-1841, and Putnam County Recorder from 1841-1847 and from 1849 until his death in 1853. These papers consist of duplicates of public records filed with the County and constitute agreements, accounts and injunction bond records, case files, deed records, estate administration records, lease records, personal property mortgages, partition records, and road and ditch records. The case files date form the time Jabez Selden Spencer served as Union Township Justice of the Peace. Included in these files are affidavits, bills of particulars, summons, subpoenas, and recognizance liens. Road Records consist of an 1836 agreement between the Putnam County Commissioners and Moses Lee and Samuel Parker for the opening of sections one and two of the Kalida and Lima State Road. Ditch Records consist of an 1851 agreement between the Commissioners and Abner L. And Henry N. Lemon for the digging of a ditch along the Napoleon and Kalida Free Turnpike.

Personal papers belonging to Jabez Selden Spencer include appointments, corporation records, correspondence, and property tax receipts. Of particular interest may be the corporation records which document the 1849 formation of the Kalida and California Mining Company.

Papers belonging to Sarah (Parker) Spencer include a few pieces pertaining to the administration of Jabez's estate and some property tax receipts dated after her husband's death.

Ralph G. Spencer, the fourth of Jabez and Sarah Spencer's seven children, served as the Treasurer of Putnam County from 1897-1901. Papers within the collection which can be attributed to Ralph G. Spencer include a piece of correspondence and a list of the names attached to his official's bond for County Treasurer.

Tags:

MS 151 - Bertha M. Carter Papers - Hood/Pargellis Families

The Bertha M. Carter Papers were donated to the Center for Archival Collections by Mrs. Bertha Carter in July 1980. Additional donations were made in September 1985 and August 1991. The Papers are divided into three main family collections; the Hood family, the Pargellis family, and the Carter family. The Pargellis and Carter families are related, but there are no direct ties between them and the Hood family. All the families lived and farmed in the Hull Prairie area of Wood County, Ohio. Alexander Pargellis inherited the Hood family papers when the last Hood family member, John Hood, died in 1905. Mrs. Carter is the granddaughter of Robert Pargellis.

The Hood family papers date inclusively from 1818-1911 and includes correspondence, diaries, legal and financial papers, all documenting the farming and business interests of the Hood family. The Pargellis family papers date inclusively from 1819-1943 and includes extensive correspondence, legal and financial papers, photographs and printed items. These papers include some church records, organizational records, and township records maintained by the Hood or Pargellis family members, who usually were founding members of the organizations or township officials. The Carter family papers date from around 1900 through 1945, primarily dealing with the activities of J. Richard Carter, brother of Earnest W. Carter, who married Bertha Carter.

No restrictions exist on the research use of these papers. The Collection was processed by Ira Daly, graduate assistant, in 1981, and the register prepared by Ann Bowers, Assistant Director and University Archivist, in 1985, with additions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, in 1991.


MS 155 mf - Taylor Funeral Home (Oakwood, Ohio)

The records of the Taylor Funeral Home, Oakwood, Ohio were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio with the cooperation of Bertie Taylor, Oakwood, Ohio in November 1996.

The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The camera negative is the property of the Center for Archival Collections. The register was prepared by Jason Wesco in December 1996. No restrictions apply to the use of this collection.


MS 185 - Lucille Toan Waugh Toan Collection

The documents from Lucile Toan Waugh Toan reflect some of the work, social, and religious activities of the Thomas F. Waugh family, various relatives and friends, during the period from 1879 to 1923. The collection consists of 1/2 linear foot of correspondence, a family ledger/journal, family genealogy, and a church history written by Helen Waugh.

The family records were donated to the Center for Archival Collections' Women's Studies Archives in August 1981, with the cooperation of Lucile Toan and Jill Gates Smith, Field Specialist for the WSAP.

Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. No restrictions have been placed on the collection. The register was prepared by Paulette Weiser, Graduate Assistant for the Women's Studies Archives Project in September 1981.

Tags:


MS 190 - Hill/Morgan Family Papers

The Hill/Morgan Family Collection spans four generations of a Wood County, Ohio family, from 1831 to 1980. The surnames of the successive generations are: Hill, Morgan, Overmyer, and Graf. The collection includes correspondence, documents, manuscripts, printed materials, photographs, newspaper clippings, and some artifacts collected during this time span. These materials provide an intimate look into the events of a typical Northwest Ohio family, and the context in which they lived.

The generation of this region's first pioneers is represented through correspondence with relatives in some of the eastern states. Letters to members of the Hill family, from friends serving in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War, provide some details of a soldiers life during that time. Religion proves to be a dominant influence throughout this collection. Similarly, education in Northwest Ohio is illustrated by student compositions, report cards, and programs, as well as various teacher's manuscripts, class lists, and instructional materials.

The collection represents some women's history with the several manuscripts of local, state, and national women's organizations.

Of interest to the genealogist are the materials dealing with a wide cross section of relatives, and of friends living in Wood County. Associated family names include: Burrows, Crawfoot/Crowfoot, Hallopeter, Hoiles, Kingsbury, Ostrander, Shuman, Underwood, Wensel, and Whitman.

In addition to portraits of family and friends, this collection includes more than 150 photographs and negatives, many of which depict rural life in Ohio from the late 19th century.

The records were donated and transferred to the Center for Archival Collections in October 1981 by Mrs. Ruth Graf of Wayne, Ohio, a fourth generation descendant of the Reverend Harlow Hill who moved to Wood County in the 1830s. Duplication of the material is permitted for the purpose of preservation and research. The register was prepared by Stephen C. Young in April 1987.


MS 193 mf - Thelma R. Marsh Collection

The Thelma R. Marsh Collection was transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio with the cooperation of Jean Moon, retired director of the Upper Sandusky Community Library, Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in August 1997.

The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The 16mm camera negative is the property of the Center for Archival Collections. The register was prepared by Susan Hughes in September 1997. No restrictions apply to the use of this collection.


MS 194 mf - Kenneth Smith Collection

The Kenneth Smith Collection was transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio with the cooperation of Kenneth R. Smith, Fremont, Ohio, in August 1997.

The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The 16mm camera negative is the property of the Center for Archival Collections. The register was prepared by Susan Hughes in September 1997. No restrictions apply to the use of this collection.

Tags:

MS 210 mf - The Aaron and Mary West/Orange and Emma Comstock Family Papers

The Aaron and Mary West Family Papers first were loaned to the Center for Archival Collections for microfilming by Cathryn Coventry, Sylvania, Ohio. This group of papers consisted mostly of the diaries (1853-1896) of Aaron West, a Toledo public school teacher, principal, and later, superintendent of the Sylvania Schools, and the diaries (1877-1898) of his wife, Mary. Also included were an autograph book/pupil register, account ledgers, correspondence, and speeches. The microfilm edition of these papers was completed in January 1982 and made available for research use.

In August 1990 Cathryn Coventry donated the original papers which had been microfilmed and also donated the papers of Orange and Emma Comstock. (Emma was the daughter of Aaron and Mary West.) The Orange and Emma Comstock papers consist primarily of correspondence between them and their children. Also included is a photograph album, family history/genealogy, Orange and Emma's marriage certificate and Emma's diploma from Sylvania High School.

Literary and property rights of both the microfilm edition and the original papers of this collection have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of scholarly research. The register was originally compiled by Ann Bowers, Assistant Director, in January 1982, and revised by Susan Irwin in October 1991.

Tags:

MS 267 - Joan Brisbin Wills Papers

The family papers of Joan Brisbin Wills (Mrs. Robert Wills), a Toledo, Ohio resident, chronicles the years from 1910 to 1970, with some family genealogical information back to 1545. Primarily, the collection profiles the lives and careers of Mrs. Wills' aunts, Neva King Lambert and Hazel King Schneider, and her mother, Ruth King Brisbin, as student nurses at the Toledo Hospital School of nursing and later as registered nurses from the 1920's through the 1930's. Ruth King Brisbin's career later took her to the Wood County Hospital, spanning the years from 1930 to 1970.

The records were donated and transferred tot he Center for Archival Collections in January and February 1984 through the cooperation of Joan Brisbin Wills and Ann Bowers, Assistant Director/University Archivist at the Center for Archival Collections. There are no restrictions placed upon any part of this collection. The register was prepared by Mary A. Bosh in April 1985 and revised by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in January 1992.

Tags:

MS 308 - C. A. Risser Papers

The C.A. Risser Papers consist primarily of correspondence from C.A. Risser to his cousin Christian Risser, both residing in Ohio, between the years 1879 and 1888. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Yeager, Bowling Green, Ohio, on April 25, 1983. An additional donation of thirty-two copy negatives of later Risser Family members was made by the Yeagers on October 31, 1989.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The collection was processed and register prepared by Stephen Charter in June 1983, with additions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, in November 1989.

Tags:


MS 335 mf - William C. Holgate Diaries

The Holgate Diaries (1833-1948) consist of thirteen volumes; eleven diaries and two account ledgers. Three diaries (1833-1852) were kept by William Curtis Holgate and the other eight diaries (1868-1894) and two account ledgers (1878-1880, 1924-1948) were kept by his son, who was also named William C. Holgate.

The diaries were donated to The Defiance College by the heirs of William C. Holgate in 1976. The diaries are located in the College Archives, Anthony Wayne Library, The Defiance College. They were loaned for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, during December 1983. The microfilm edition is available for use at both the Center for Archival Collections and the Anthony Wayne Library, however, reproduction is restricted. The register was completed by Ron Burdick and the collection microfilmed in December 1983.

Tags:

MS 349 mf - Henry O. Sheldon Collection

The Henry O. Sheldon Collection consists of fifty-seven volumes of journals, dating from 1817 through 1882, and four volumes of Sheldon family genealogies. The journals written by Henry O. Sheldon, document the daily activities of this Methodist preacher who settled in northern Ohio, specifically Huron County and later Cuyahoga County, and who traveled extensively throughout Ohio and the northeastern United States as a circuit preacher. The family genealogies also were compiled and later published by Sheldon.

The journals were loaned to the Center for Archival Collections for microfilming by the Firelands Historical Society, Norwalk, Ohio. The family genealogies were loaned for the same purpose by Dale Kellogg, Elyria, Ohio. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for the purposes of scholarly research. The collection was prepared for microfilming and the finding aid was completed by Ann Bowers in March 1984.

Tags:

MS 377 - George & Myrtle Phillips Collection

The correspondence, educational files, and scrapbooks of George A. Phillips, a black teacher and principal in Cincinnati, Ohio, covers a span of years form 1844 to 1976, with the bulk of the collection covering the years 1900 to 1976. The collection contains educational files and writings produced during his years of teaching and scrapbooks which he compiled and which detail his life and accomplishments. The correspondence primarily is with friends, family, and business acquaintances. Also included in this collection are thirty-five diaries which his wife Myrtle Phillips kept from 1932 to 1971.

The collection was donated and transferred to the Center for Archival Collections in September 1984, through the cooperation of Laurence R. Hipp, Grover Hill, Ohio. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. The register was prepared by Robert Dunkelberger in October 1984.