Skip to main content

Browse Items (80 total)

  • Tags: Education
Sort by:

PCL MS 097 Evans G. Valens Collection

The Evans G. Valens Collection consists of approximately 10 linear feet of manuscript materials. The collection was donated to the Browne Popular Culture Library by Evans G. Valens in 1982. This collection is unprocessed, but may be accessed by contacting the archivist.  The collection has no restrictions placed on its use for scholarly purposes. Researchers are responsible for securing copyright permission when using all unpublished manuscripts and published works found in this collection.


MS 536 - Conneaut Parent Teacher Association

The records of the Conneaut Parent Teacher Association were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in 1984, with the help of Cheryl Slater.  The records, dating from 1940 to 1984, consist of minutes, correspondence, financial ledgers, and news clippings.  

No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for research purposes.  The collection was arranged and described by Devon Proudfoot in August 2013.  

Tags:

UA 101 - Mortar Board Records, 1943-1996

Records documenting a senior honor society on the Bowling Green State University campus.

Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted.


UA 122 - Educational Memorabilia Center: Little Red Schoolhouse Collection, 1876-1940, 1969-2004

The Educational Memorabilia Center - Little Red Schoolhouse Collection honors Bowling Green State University’s beginnings as a state normal college or teacher training school.  It features an original one-room school house, a collection of educational artifacts and period books, as well as documentation regarding the creation and operation of the Educational Memorabilia Center itself.  

Duplication of materials in this collection is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. Materials found in this collection may be duplicated in other University Archives collections and holdings. Access to confidential information is restricted.


MS 27 - Mary Manse College Collection

The records of Mary Manse College, a Catholic educational institution for women, span the period from 1922-1975. The collection documents the college's creation and growth, the effects of changing social values and church directives, and fluctuations in the economy. Administrative records, correspondence, subject files, literary productions, legal and financial documents, scrapbooks, printed material, and audio-visual materials provide information on the activities of and at Mary Manse College.

The collection also includes records related to the Catholic University of Peking, which was connected to Mary Manse through a former administrator and educator, Monsignor George Barry O'Toole, Rector of the University. The papers of Edward Mohler, a member of the Mary Manse faculty since the college's foundation, are also contained in the collection. These consist primarily of his numerous contributions to Catholic publications, but include a scrapbook and several photographs.

The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in May 1976. The collection is open to those researchers who have written approval of the Superior General of the Ursuline Sisters of Toledo, Ohio. This policy will be in effect until July 1, 2003, at which time the collection will be open with no restrictions. This finding aid was prepared by Susan Irwin during the summer of 1992.

Tags:

MMS 1020 - Ohio Genealogical Society - Wood County Chapter

Wood County Schoolhouse Project, 1988 Wood County, Ohio Background information sheets collected as part of the Wood County Schoolhouse Project, covering all one-room schools in Wood County, Ohio.

Tags:

MS 989 - Gamma Sigma Alpha, National Greek Academic Honor Society

Gamma Sigma Alpha was founded to promote intellectual interaction between Greek students and the academic community. The purpose of the Society is to promote the advancement of education among Greeks; to instill a greater spirit of cooperation among Greek students and organizations; and, to encourage excellence in scholarship. The Gamma Sigma Alpha National Greek Academic Honor Society was formed at the University of Southern California in 1989. The national board was established the following year and the Society quickly grew to over 150 chapters in its first eleven years. During the past few years, it has added regional awards, graduate scholarships and the funding of graduate research to its many programs and services. Membership requirements are based on grade point average and active membership in a Greek fraternity or sorority recognized by the host University.

For more information on Gamma Sigma Alpha, please refer to their web site at: www.gammasigmaalpha.org.

The collection housed at the Center for Archival Collections includes administrative and subject files, printed materials and banners and posters. Also included are dissertations representing the Research Initiative established between Gamma Sigma Alpha and the Higher Education Administration Program at Bowling Green State University to study achievement in fraternity and sororities. The dissertations are available for research use but fall under usual copyright restrictions. The collection was donated in August 2003, with additional documents transferred on an annual basis.


MS 795 - Robert Brown Papers

The Robert D. Brown Papers were donated in September of 1999 to be a part of the National Student Affairs Archives.  The collection is comprised of dissertations, articles, book chapters, and speeches.  The collection was arranged and finding aid written by W. Alex Smith, archival assistant, in August 2006.  The finding aid was updated upon Dr. Brown’s death in 2015 by Beth Hoag, doctoral graduate assistant.

Dr. Brown was the Carl A. Happold Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Educational Psychology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Senior Associate with Aspen Professional Development Associates.  He earned a B.A. is from St. John’s University, Minnesota (1955), and his M.A. (1956) and Ph.D. (1966) in counseling psychology from the University of Iowa.  He served in administrative positions, including: Director of Counseling, Director of Student Affairs Research, Assistant Vice President for the University of Nebraska, and Assistant Dean of Teachers College. 

Dr. Brown received numerous teaching awards, including a University-Wide Burlington Northern Distinguished Teacher Scholar Award and two University of Nebraska-Lincoln Distinguished Teaching Awards.  The American College Personnel Association presented him with a Distinguished Scholar Award.  In 1993, he received the Academic Excellence as a Graduate Faculty Member Award from the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.

He served as president of the American College Personnel Association (1989-1990) and editor of the Journal of College Student Development (1983-1988). He was awarded the ACPA Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012. He was also president of the Nebraska Psychological Association and the Nebraska Student Personnel Association.  He authored or co-authored seven books, including three evaluation books, as well as numerous articles and book chapters.  He frequently served as an evaluation consultant to school systems, health agencies, hospitals, colleges and universities, educational television, and state and federally funded projects.  He made numerous presentations and keynote speeches around the US and internationally.  Dr. Brown passed away on December 7, 2014 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

(Information courtesy of Dr. Brown’s Vita Summary)


MS 702 - Susan R. Komives Papers

The Susan R. Komives Papers were donated to the National Student Affairs Archives, Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, by Dr. Komives, on November 26, 2012. The collection consists of twelve linear feet of publications, presentations, subject files, correspondence, awards, and audio-visual materials, dating from 1966-2013. The donation also included five linear feet of publications, journals, and reports which have been added to existing collections within the National Student Affairs Archives.

Dr. Susan Komives received her undergraduate and master’s degree from Florida State University. She completed her doctoral degree in Educational Administration and Supervision in 1973, from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and also was employed in the area of Residence Halls. She continued in her professional career serving as Associate Dean of Students at Denison University in Ohio, from 1973 to 1978; Vice President and Dean of Student Life at Stephens College in Missouri, from 1978 to 1985; and Vice President for Student Development at the University of Tampa, Florida, from 1985 to 1987. In 1987, Dr. Komives was hired as a faculty member in the Department of Counseling and Personnel Services at the University of Maryland, College Park. She retired in 2012, as Professor in the Counseling, Higher Education, and Special Education Department, and chair of the College Student Personnel Program.

Dr. Komives has held leadership positions in several professional associations, including President of the American College Personnel Association (1982-1983), President of the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education, (2008-2011), Member of the Board of Directors of the International Leadership Association (2009-2012), and Faculty Fellow for the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (2010-2013). She also served on many task forces and committees for these professional associations.

Dr. Komives’ contributions to the profession as a teacher, leader, speaker, and writer are too numerous to list in detail in this biographical sketch. Please refer to her curriculum vitae located in the biographical subject file, as well as the award nomination letters located in the awards subject files for a description of her publications, presentations, professional services, and the many students she mentored. Her impact on and within the profession has been felt deeply both on a national and international basis. As one nominee stated in her letter for the ACPA Lifetime Achievement Award, “Susan has an uncanny ability to generate passion and commitment in those around her. The number of leadership scholars that she has mentored is a testament to her influence. Her devotion to the field, and her wisdom and expertise, allow her to facilitate learning environments unlike any I have experienced in my prior twenty years of education.”


MS 441 - Ohio Association for Women in Education

The Ohio Association for Women in Education (OAWE) donated their archives to the Center for Archival Collections on May 21, 1985. OAWE records held at the Ohio State University Archives were transferred and added to the collection on October 4, 1985. The collection is comprised of board minutes, correspondence, committee and subject files, convention materials, and newsletters. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and copying is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by Wendy Evans, archival intern, in 1995. The arrangement and finding aid was updated by W. Alex Smith, archival assistant, in 2006.

The Ohio Association for Women in Education began in 1923-1924, as the Ohio Association of Deans of Women. It was affiliated with the National Association of Deans of Women as a state association. The first president was Irma E. Voigt who served from 1924 to 1928. Conferences were held and membership slowly increased. By the 1940 convention, speakers such as Dean Grace Zorbaugh were saying, “We have won the right to cut our hair and show our legs and also to select our occupations…We must develop a will-to-power among young women.” Due to WWII, the 1943 convention was canceled. In November of 1948, the association celebrated its twenty-fifth year.

In 1956, the Ohio Association of Deans of Women changed its name to the Ohio Association of Women Deans, Administrators, and Counselors, reflective of changes with the profession nationally. The OAWDAC had three types of membership: active, associate, and honorary. Later, membership was changed to include active retired members and student members. In 1967, elementary school administrators and counselors were added to the OAWDAC.

OAWDAC became involved with several state committees which addressed women’s issues. The association was one of sixteen organizations to be charter members of the Ohio Commission on the Status of Women. OAWDAC was active in support of the Equal Rights Amendment and was consulted for the Domestic Violence Bill of 1985. The OAWDAC supported the Family Education Rights and Privacy Law in 1976. In 1991, again reflected of changes with the national association, OAWDAC changed its name to the Ohio Association for Women In Education. It dissolved when the national association dissolved in 2000.


MMS 1787 - Frances M. Travis

Scrapbook, 1930-1932. Scrapbook of a student at BGSU.


MMS 1767 - Claudia Lomady Amstutz

Papers, 1969-1973. Certificates, programs, correspondence, and printed material.


MS 660 - Women's League/Women's Self-Government Association/Association of Women Students

The records in this collection span the years 1918, the year that the Women's League was organized, to 1970, when the successor organization, the Association of Women Students, disbanded. The collection contains official minutes, officer lists, financial documents, subject files covering organizational activities and printed material from the Intercollegiate Association of Women Students.

The collection, occupying 1.5 linear feet, is an aggregate of records gathered together when the University Archives was reorganized in 1987. Ann Bowers organized, processed and prepared the preliminary inventory. This finding aid was prepared by Sara Parsons, an intern in the Center for Archival Collections in July, 1997. The collection is open to the public on an unrestricted basis.


MS 290 - Faculty Dames/University Women

The records of the Faculty Dames/University Women of Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio were first donated, with the cooperation of Helene M. Weinberger, on January 25, 1983, with additional material received periodically. The collection consists of material, both formal and informal, highlighting the activities of the organization spanning nearly 80 years - 1930 to the present.

No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection. The register was first prepared by Karen Roberts in April 1985 and later updated by Ann Bowers and Marilyn Levinson as additional material was received.


MS 1131 - William Burl Thomas Papers (Bowling Green, Ohio)

The William Burl Thomas papers were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in January 2007 by David Anderson.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for research purposes. This finding aid was prepared by Lee N. McLaird, Curator of Rare Books and Special Collections in November 2009.


MS 636 - Dr. Charles Barrell Papers

The papers of Dr. Charles Barrell (1909-1992) were transferred from his estate to the Center for Archival Collections during the 1991-1992 academic year. An addition to the collection was made by Roger Anderson, Political Science Associate Professor Emeritus, Bowling Green State University, in July 2003. The collection contains correspondence, publications and files related to his tenure as a professor of Political Science at Bowling Green State University (1940-1974) and his service as a Bowling Green City Councilman (1967-1981).

There are no restrictions on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for preservation and research purposes. This finding aid was completed by Paul Buckingham, archival assistant, in June 1996 and revised in July 2003.


MS 16 - William B. Guitteau Papers

The papers of William Backus Guitteau date from 1884 to 1963. They were donated by the Toledo Board of Education in 1971 and comprise approximately three linear feet. This collection consists of three scrapbooks detailing the education and career of William B. Guitteau with the bulk of the material focusing on the years 1890 through 1932. In addition, the collection contains several original copies of speeches Dr. Guitteau gave at various points in his career, correspondence pertaining to Guitteau's employment and miscellaneous newsclippings on his career. This particular collection will prove useful to those with an interest in Toledo politics, progressivism, education, and local history.

Literary and property rights are in the public domain and duplication is permitted for the purposes of research and preservation. This register was prepared by Robert Rook, graduate assistant in the History Department, Bowling Green State University, in March 1982.


MS 1129 - Brad Phalin Photograph Collection

The Brad Phalin photograph collection covers the date range 1985-1996. The collection consists of three linear feet of photograph material relating to Bowling Green State University and the surrounding area.

The material was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in August 2009, December 2011 and April 2012 by Brad Phalin. Copyright for the images in the collection are held by Brad Phalin and only he may issue permission for their use.

The register was prepared by Dana Nemeth, Library Associate II, and Latifah Street, Student Archival Assistant, in October 2009, and it was revised by Christopher Ilse, Student Archival Assistant, in April 2012.


MS 1130 - Jack Vivian Photograph Collection

The Jack Vivian Photograph Collection was donated by Jim Gordon and covers the date range of 1968-1969. The collection consists of notes from an interview Jim Gordon conducted with Bowling Green State University hockey coach Jack Vivian, a BGSU club hockey team program, a news clipping, and several folders of photographic materials relating to Jack Vivian and the BGSU hockey team.

The material was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in October 2009 by Jim Gordon. No restrictions exist for the research use of this collection.

The register was created by Dana Nemeth, Library Associate II, and Latifah Street, Student Archival Assistant, in February 2010.


MS 1162 - Eric Mull Photograph Collection

The Eric Mull photograph collection covers the date range 1989-1991. The collection consists of one cubic foot of photograph material relating to Bowling Green State University and off-campus student life.

The material was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on April 1, 2011 by Eric Mull. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection.

The register was prepared by Dana Nemeth, Library Associate II, and Christopher Ilse, Student Archival Assistant, in March 2012.


MS 1124 - United States Latino Issues

The records of the United States Latino Issues MS-1124, were donated to the Center for Archival collections by the members of The Latino Student Union (formerly known as La Union de Estudiantes Latinos) in 2007.

Most of the Latino Student Union (LSU) collection was donated by former LSU executive board members and alum such as Luis (Garcia) Linares, Consuelo Contreras Hernandez, Gloria Enriquez Pizana and Dr. Rolando Andrade.

The collections consist of various documents pertaining to Latino concerns throughout the United States and have been sorted by subject files, such as: Arts, Education, Migrant Issues, Latino statistical reports, Social and Political Organizations and Latino newsletters.

All property, literary and duplication rights of the United States Latino Issues have been conveyed to the Center for Archival Collections and the public for historical research. The register was compiled by Gloria Enriquez Pizana, as part of her internship requirement for the graduate certificate in Public History offered through the American Culture Studies/History Department, July 2009.


MS 377 - George & Myrtle Phillips Collection

The correspondence, educational files, and scrapbooks of George A. Phillips, a black teacher and principal in Cincinnati, Ohio, covers a span of years form 1844 to 1976, with the bulk of the collection covering the years 1900 to 1976. The collection contains educational files and writings produced during his years of teaching and scrapbooks which he compiled and which detail his life and accomplishments. The correspondence primarily is with friends, family, and business acquaintances. Also included in this collection are thirty-five diaries which his wife Myrtle Phillips kept from 1932 to 1971.

The collection was donated and transferred to the Center for Archival Collections in September 1984, through the cooperation of Laurence R. Hipp, Grover Hill, Ohio. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. The register was prepared by Robert Dunkelberger in October 1984.


MS 1188 - Ohio Council of Higher Education Retirees Collection

The Ohio Council of Higher Education Retirees Collection consists mostly of minutes and reports related to the organization’s meetings. The material in the collection dates from 1992 to 2012 and documents much of the group’s history over the majority of its existence. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on July 15, 2013 by Roger Anderson.

No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication may be permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. This register was completed by undergraduate student assistant Emily Schoenlein in July 2013, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts.

Tags:

MS 1186 - Ridge Street Elementary School Collection

The Ridge Street School Collection primarily consists of thirty-eight years (1973-2011) of Principal’s Albums, which include pictures of the elementary classes and staff throughout the years. The collection also includes a large number of newspaper clippings documenting student and staff activity in the school and in the community; as well as several photographs, slides, student artwork, and printed material. The full collection covers a broad range of years and events, from the 1940s through mid-2013.

This collection was transferred to the Center for Archival Collections in Summer 2013 by former school principal, Joe Morgan. No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for research purposes. The collection was arranged and described by graduate student archival assistant Joan Eardly in August, 2013.

Tags:

MS 1182 - Joel Rudinger Papers

The Dr. Joel Rudinger papers are comprised of material collected by Dr. Rudinger during his time as a professor of English and Popular Culture at the Firelands Campus of Bowling Green State University. The majority of the collection was transferred to the Center of Archival Collections by the Popular Culture department at BGSU Main Campus in August 2012, with additional material donated directly to the Center by Dr. Rudinger in the same month. The 8 3/4 linear feet collection has been separated into office files, manuscripts, research notes, newsclippings, printed material, photographic material, and audio recordings ranging from 1966 to 2003.

General folklore and folk life topics are detailed within the collection, including material culture, foodways, folk culture, folk tales, family lore, and humor. As the majority of research for the collection materials was performed in Northern Ohio, there is a decided emphasis on the folklore and legends of the region.

No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for research purposes. The register was completed by undergraduate student archival assistant Rebecca Denes in October, 2012.

Tags: