Skip to main content

Browse Items (136 total)

  • Tags: Business and Commerce
  • Collection: Center for Archival Collections
Sort by:

GLMS 1 - Chicago Shipbuilding Company

The papers of the Chicago Shipbuilding Company, Chicago, Illinois, were obtained in the winter of 1967/1968 by Richard J. Wright. They became part of the Richard J. Wright Marine Collection at Bowling Green State University, and are now part of the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes.

The records of the Chicago Shipbuilding Company occupy nearly thirteen linear feet. The bulk of the records, which fall between the years 1900 and 1950, document typical activities of the company including physical expansion, financial records, World War I shipbuilding and official, legal and labor correspondence. No restrictions have been placed on the use of these materials. The register was completed by Linda Jasperse, graduate student in the History Department, Bowling Green State University.


GLMS 10 - Jesse Wells Church Collection

The Church Collection was donated to the Institute by Henry N. Barkhausen on October 5, 1984. The Instrument of Gift was signed at the time of transfer.

Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted. Final processing was completed in November 1991 by Mark J Barnes.


GLMS 100 - Inland Steel Company Collection

This 3.5 cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes by Daniel J. Cornillie of the Inland Steel Company on August 1, 1991. Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for the purposes of conservation and research.


GLMS 101 - Kenneth R. Hall Collection

This two cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes by Kenneth R. Hall on August 15, 1992. An instrument of gift was signed at the time of transfer. Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of conservation and research.


GLMS 109 - Anthony Bocconcelli Collection/FitzSimons & Connell Dredge & Dock Co.

This collection, consisting of 6 cubic feet of photographic material, was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes on September 21, 2009 by Mr. Richard Adams of Chicago, IL. Mr. Adams received the material as a gift from Anthony Bocconcelli of Chicago. The Anthony Bocconcelli Collection provides photographic documentation of many of the projects of the FitzSimons & Connell Dredge & Dock Co. The collection includes photographic material as well as a minimal amount of motion picture film, transferred to DVD. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Duplication is permitted for purposes of conservation and scholarly research. The collection was processed with the assistance of Jonathan Filler, Jessica Schmidt, and Rex Childers.


GLMS 11 - Great Lakes Waterways Development Association

This one-half cubic foot collection was donated by the Great Lakes Waterways Development Association to Bowling Green State University. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for the purposes of research and conservation.


GLMS 17 - Charles T. Harvey Papers

The Charles Thompson Harvey Papers consist principally of the personal correspondence between Charles Thompson Harvey (1829-1912), engineer-inventory, and his wife Sara Van Eps Harvey (1838-1916). He was responsible for both the construction of the St. Mary's Falls Ship Canal, connecting Lake Superior and Lake Huron (1853-1855) and the first elevated railroad in New York city (1868).

This collection of correspondence, dating between 1858 and 1872 was loaned to the Center for Archival Collections in 1979 through the cooperative efforts of Dr. Richard Wright, Director, CAC, William Jeffrey Welsh, doctoral candidate, Bowling Green State University, and Harvey's grandchildren, Mr. William C. Johnson of Hiram, Ohio, and Ms. Charlotte Voorhis of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Ms. Voorhis has consented to the microfilming of these letters for the purposes of scholarly research. This collection was processed and the register completed by Rebecaa A. Harkema, Graduate Assistant, Department of History, Bowling Green State University.

Property, literary and duplication rights for the microfilm of the Charles Thompson Haravey Papers, in the custody of the Center for Archival Collections, have been dedicated to the public.


GLMS 19 - Bay Port Fish Company

The papers and records of the Bay Port Fish Company and its subsidiaries, the Saginaw Bay Fish Company and the Lake Huron Fish Company provide sources of information concerning the fishing industry on the Great Lakes during the first half of the twentieth century. The collection is for particular value in documenting the activities and problems of commercial fishermen from the late depression years (from 1936) through the 1960's, including the decline of commercial fishing in Saginaw Bay, Michigan, and lake Huron in American waters. The collection includes correspondence, reports, legal documents, and financial records consisting of twenty-five linear feet of material. The entire collection spans the years 1894 to 1970, but the correspondence and financial records are complementary only for the years 1936 to 1967.

The Bay Port Fish Company papers were donated to the center for Archival Collections on 18 September 1980. The papers were received from the Bay Port Fish Company through the cooperative efforts of Forrest Williams, of the company and Dr. Richard Wright, Director of the CAC. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public, and duplication is permitted for presentation and scholarly research. The register was prepared by Walter Font, graduate assistant, during March 1981.


GLMS 2 - Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority

This collection contains the minutes, correspondence, reports, contracts, and other documents of the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority and its predecessor, the Toledo Port Commission. The latter body was founded in 1922 to encourage and prepare Toledo for the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The collection details the fight for the Seaway and the efforts of the various port governing bodies to develop the port of Toledo and turn it into a major port on the Great Lakes. The dates for the collection are 1895 to the present.

The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in 1970 by William C. Beckett, Manager of Statistics for the Port Authority. No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection.

This register was prepared by Robert Dunkelberger in February 1985.


GLMS 22 - Ohio & Western Pennsylvania Dock Company

The records of the Ohio and Western Pennsylvania Dock Company of Cleveland, Ohio date from 1882 to 1963. The collection consists of two and one-half linear feet of safety committee minutes, company improvement files, vessel lists, operation reports, labor agreements-grievances, operation expenses, and twenty-five volumes of ore shipping statements.

The records of the Ohio and Western Pennsylvania Dock Company were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in July 1981 by John W. Manning of the Hanna Mining Company, with the cooperation of Dr. Richard Wright, then Director of the Center for Archival Collections. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The register was prepared by Constance Schumacher, graduate student at Bowling Green State University in May 1983.


GLMS 26 - Lorain Electronics Corporation

The original scrapbooks for this collection were loaned to Bowling Green State University in August 1977 by Jack Cain. Microfilming was completed on Sept. 18, 1977 and the original items were returned to Mr. Cain. Literary and property rights are dedicated to the public. Photocopying from the microfilm and duplication of the reel are permitted for research purposes.


GLMS 27 - Wilson Marine Transit Company

The records of the Wilson Marine Transit Company were donated to the Institute for Great Lakes Research (now the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes) on March 23, 1973.

Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purpose of preservation and scholarly research. Final processing was completed in 1991 by Mark J. Barnes, Monica Manny, and A. J. DuFresne, with the assistance of a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.


GLMS 29 - Wilford G. Bartenfeld

This collection contains marine architectural subject files regarding vessel construction and conversion projects from 1901 to 1976. Most files are from the period 1940-1960. Many of Bartenfeld's projects involved vessels being converted to and from…


GLMS 3 - Dunbar and Sullivan Dredging Company

The photographic portion of this 12 cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes on January 25, 1973. The construction estimate files were donated in November 1982. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Duplication is permitted for purposes of conservation and scholarly research.


GLMS 32 - Paul J. Ranahan Collection

This four cubic foot collection was transferred to Bowling Green State University on June 21, 1982 by Paul J. Ranahan. Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of research and conservation.


GLMS 33 - Marsh and McLennan Marine Underwriters

The 26.5 cubic feet in this collection were donated by Marsh and McLennan Marine Underwriters of Cleveland, Ohio on July 9, 1973. George Heiber of the Marsh and McLennan staff worked with Bowling Green State University to arrange this transfer.

Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for conservation and research purposes.


GLMS 34 - E.B. "Skip" Gillham Collection

This one-half cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes on December 18, 1987 by Skip Gillham. The instrument of gift was signed January 22, 1988. Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for the purposes of conservation and research.


GLMS 36 - Salvage Association (London)

This 11 cubic foot collection contains records from a company that surveyed damage to Great Lakes and ocean vessels for insurance purposes. Files from 1919 to 1982 document the types of accidents commonly occurring within maritime fleets. The economic impact on shipping companies is detailed in the repair cost estimates presented in survey reports.


GLMS 43 - Alberta M. Fraley Collection

The Fraley Collection was transferred to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes on May 30, 1980.

Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purpose of preservation and research. Final processing was completed in August 1991 with the assistance of a National Endowment for the Humanities Grant by Monica Manny and Mark J. Barnes.


GLMS 44 - Lake Carriers Association Records

The records of the Lake Carriers' Association were donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes in August, 1985. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. Final processing was completed in 1991 by Mark J. Barnes, Monica Manny, and A.J. Du Fresne with the assistance of a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.


GLMS 45 - Paasch Marine Services, Incorporated Collection

The Paasch Collection was transferred to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes on March 25, 1981. The instrument of gift was signed on March 31, 1981.

Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for purposes of preservation and research. Final processing was completed in August 1991 with the assistance of a National Endowment for the Humanities grant by Monica Manny and Mark J. Barnes.


GLMS 47 - Columbia Transportation Company

This one-half cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes on April 22, 1981 by the Columbia Transportation Division of the Oglebay Norton Company. Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of conservation and research.


GLMS 5 - Great Lakes Towing Company

This 5.5 cubic foot collection was acquired by Bowling Green State University in 1969. Richard G. Garrity of the Great Lakes Towing Company acted as an agent for the company in completing the transfer. The collections was later placed in the Institute for Great Lakes Research after its founding in 1983.

Literary and property rights were transferred to the public. Photocopying is permitted for conservation and research purposes.


GLMS 52 - Nicholson Transit Company

This 6.5 cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes by George McBride of the Nicholson Terminal and Dock Company of River Rouge, Michigan, on February 7, 1983. An instrument of gift was signed on March 10, 1983.

Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of conservation and research.


GLMS 53 - Triad Salvage Company

This two cubic foot collection was donated to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes in two transfers on November 18, 1981 and July 22, 1984. Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public by Robert Weiner of the Triad Salvage Company. Photocopying is permitted for purposes of conservation and research.